Kennedys Joke Shop

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
Pong e Beck
PostsCOLON 29
JoinedCOLON Wed 26 Mar, 2014 2:34 am

Postby Pong e Beck » Sat 29 Mar, 2014 1:50 am

Vicar Lane opposite the Red Bus Station. I think it was a toy shop. Inside wide stairs led to the basement where you could buy "jokes".The usual whoopee cushin, plastic turds, fake bluebottles, smoking monkeys etc. . Very interesting to an early seventie's kid. Pretty (but)trivial. You were met at the bottom of the stairway. There, in your face, was a huge glass case of knives. A couple of bob might get a wee two blade pen-knife, Sheffield steel, ersatz tartan plastic handle. Never mind that. What are those 'sporting' things? Big money? Who bought'em? Neither Rambo nor Croc' Dundee exist, it is 1972. Was the shop Kennedy's
User avatar
tilly
PostsCOLON 1532
JoinedCOLON Mon 11 Jan, 2010 2:32 pm

Postby tilly » Sat 29 Mar, 2014 1:13 pm

Pong e Beck wrote:
Vicar Lane opposite the Red Bus Station. I think it was a toy shop. Inside wide stairs led to the basement where you could buy "jokes".The usual whoopee cushin, plastic turds, fake bluebottles, smoking monkeys etc. . Very interesting to an early seventie's kid. Pretty (but)trivial. You were met at the bottom of the stairway. There, in your face, was a huge glass case of knives. A couple of bob might get a wee two blade pen-knife, Sheffield steel, ersatz tartan plastic handle. Never mind that. What are those 'sporting' things? Big money? Who bought'em? Neither Rambo nor Croc' Dundee exist, it is 1972. Was the shop Kennedy's

Could it have been Davey Crocket.lol
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.
Jogon
PostsCOLON 3036
JoinedCOLON Wed 21 Dec, 2011 1:28 pm

Postby Jogon » Sat 29 Mar, 2014 3:16 pm

Yeah think it was Kennedy's and was oppo red bus station.

Back in the day most kids had an air gun (and granddad usually bought grandson his first penknife).
Safer times?

Visit Sainsburys homewares and they've a huge display of knives. Shock horror Wink
User avatar
uncle mick
PostsCOLON 1383
JoinedCOLON Wed 14 Jan, 2009 6:43 am

Postby uncle mick » Sat 29 Mar, 2014 3:36 pm

There you go Jogon    
Attachments
Kennedys.jpeg
Kennedys.jpeg (109.33 KiB) Viewed 1471 times

User avatar
Leodian
PostsCOLON 5683
JoinedCOLON Thu 10 Jun, 2010 8:03 am

Postby Leodian » Sat 29 Mar, 2014 3:48 pm

The car looks a bit posh to me! Regular Smiley Nothing wrong with a board or boards with some wheels somehow nailed on to go freewheeling down a street before the wheels often fell off! Tongue
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.
User avatar
chameleon
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 5462
JoinedCOLON Thu 29 Mar, 2007 6:16 pm

Postby chameleon » Sat 29 Mar, 2014 5:07 pm

Leodian wrote:
The car looks a bit posh to me! Regular Smiley Nothing wrong with a board or boards with some wheels somehow nailed on to go freewheeling down a street before the wheels often fell off! Tongue


You won't find a pram with decent wheels to nick for that these days Leo Cool
Steve266
PostsCOLON 69
JoinedCOLON Tue 24 Dec, 2013 10:43 am
LocationCOLON Marbella Spain

Postby Steve266 » Sat 29 Mar, 2014 6:51 pm

Best boggy (not sure of spelling) wheels came off of Silver cross prams two big ones at the back and two smaller push chair wheels for streering at the front
I remember building one with my mate we put lights on it back and front a hand brake on the back wheels and an orange box to sit in oh what fun grazed knees and hitting walls at the bottom of hills to stop
Health and safety oh stop it! just good fun but to be fair not as many cars about as today
life is not a dress rehearsal
User avatar
chameleon
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 5462
JoinedCOLON Thu 29 Mar, 2007 6:16 pm

Postby chameleon » Sat 29 Mar, 2014 8:56 pm

Steve266 wrote:
Best boggy (not sure of spelling) wheels came off of Silver cross prams two big ones at the back and two smaller push chair wheels for streering at the front
I remember building one with my mate we put lights on it back and front a hand brake on the back wheels and an orange box to sit in oh what fun grazed knees and hitting walls at the bottom of hills to stop
Health and safety oh stop it! just good fun but to be fair not as many cars about as today


spot onRegular Smiley

Pong e Beck
PostsCOLON 29
JoinedCOLON Wed 26 Mar, 2014 2:34 am

Postby Pong e Beck » Sun 30 Mar, 2014 3:14 am

Bogey -men and boys. Me and Martin T I think . Pell-mell down Kirkdale Cres. Martin piloting, me anchorman, full Silver Cross of Guiseley traction equipped. Crashed! Entirely despatched, no match for the back of the pigman's Land Rover. Martin nuts the green aluminium obstacle, really nasty! I get off no lighter but slide quite a way. My right thigh was 7% roadburn; with instant little stonechip implants. My eyes smart now as I reflect on it.
McDodge
PostsCOLON 2
JoinedCOLON Wed 26 Nov, 2014 9:50 pm

Re: Kennedys Joke Shop

Postby McDodge » Wed 26 Nov, 2014 9:53 pm

Just discovered this thread whilst searching for my Dad's old shop!

He was one of the Kennedys that owned the shop. Have saved the advert and will have to show him...

Anyone got anymore?

Return to





Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 1 and 0 guests