Kennedys Joke Shop

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
Pong e Beck

Post by Pong e Beck »

Vicar Lane opposite the Red Bus Station. I think it was a toy shop. Inside wide stairs led to the basement where you could buy "jokes".The usual whoopee cushin, plastic turds, fake bluebottles, smoking monkeys etc. . Very interesting to an early seventie's kid. Pretty (but)trivial. You were met at the bottom of the stairway. There, in your face, was a huge glass case of knives. A couple of bob might get a wee two blade pen-knife, Sheffield steel, ersatz tartan plastic handle. Never mind that. What are those 'sporting' things? Big money? Who bought'em? Neither Rambo nor Croc' Dundee exist, it is 1972. Was the shop Kennedy's

tilly

Post by tilly »

Pong e Beck wrote: Vicar Lane opposite the Red Bus Station. I think it was a toy shop. Inside wide stairs led to the basement where you could buy "jokes".The usual whoopee cushin, plastic turds, fake bluebottles, smoking monkeys etc. . Very interesting to an early seventie's kid. Pretty (but)trivial. You were met at the bottom of the stairway. There, in your face, was a huge glass case of knives. A couple of bob might get a wee two blade pen-knife, Sheffield steel, ersatz tartan plastic handle. Never mind that. What are those 'sporting' things? Big money? Who bought'em? Neither Rambo nor Croc' Dundee exist, it is 1972. Was the shop Kennedy's Could it have been Davey Crocket.lol
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Yeah think it was Kennedy's and was oppo red bus station.Back in the day most kids had an air gun (and granddad usually bought grandson his first penknife).Safer times?Visit Sainsburys homewares and they've a huge display of knives. Shock horror

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

There you go Jogon    
Attachments
Kennedys.jpeg
Kennedys.jpeg (109.33 KiB) Viewed 8523 times

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

The car looks a bit posh to me! Nothing wrong with a board or boards with some wheels somehow nailed on to go freewheeling down a street before the wheels often fell off!
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Leodian wrote: The car looks a bit posh to me! Nothing wrong with a board or boards with some wheels somehow nailed on to go freewheeling down a street before the wheels often fell off! You won't find a pram with decent wheels to nick for that these days Leo

Steve266

Post by Steve266 »

Best boggy (not sure of spelling) wheels came off of Silver cross prams two big ones at the back and two smaller push chair wheels for streering at the frontI remember building one with my mate we put lights on it back and front a hand brake on the back wheels and an orange box to sit in oh what fun grazed knees and hitting walls at the bottom of hills to stopHealth and safety oh stop it! just good fun but to be fair not as many cars about as today
life is not a dress rehearsal

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Steve266 wrote: Best boggy (not sure of spelling) wheels came off of Silver cross prams two big ones at the back and two smaller push chair wheels for streering at the frontI remember building one with my mate we put lights on it back and front a hand brake on the back wheels and an orange box to sit in oh what fun grazed knees and hitting walls at the bottom of hills to stopHealth and safety oh stop it! just good fun but to be fair not as many cars about as today spot on

Pong e Beck

Post by Pong e Beck »

Bogey -men and boys. Me and Martin T I think . Pell-mell down Kirkdale Cres. Martin piloting, me anchorman, full Silver Cross of Guiseley traction equipped. Crashed! Entirely despatched, no match for the back of the pigman's Land Rover. Martin nuts the green aluminium obstacle, really nasty! I get off no lighter but slide quite a way. My right thigh was 7% roadburn; with instant little stonechip implants. My eyes smart now as I reflect on it.

McDodge

Re: Kennedys Joke Shop

Post by McDodge »

Just discovered this thread whilst searching for my Dad's old shop!

He was one of the Kennedys that owned the shop. Have saved the advert and will have to show him...

Anyone got anymore?