Cherry Tree and other dubious pubs

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
Steve266

Post by Steve266 »

Back in the late sixties into the seventies I for my sins was a none musician (Drummer) playing in pubs and clubs all around the country but my fondest memories are playing in Leeds Thursday nights at the Cherry Tree a proper grab a granny night pub anybody rememberWe used to play the Cherry the Victoria (now a pet shop) the Broadway, Migy arms Long burnt downIf you remember the Cherry, it was in the days of electric pumps on the bars and they sold so much beer they did not have it in barrels but a tanker used to deliver twice a week but it was Bass. God they shifted some ale [edited for content] but they sold itAllways good for a fight and we were one of the loudest band's that ever played there we were called various names knuckels. Mendit Mick Dickinson was the singer along with Jim Atkinson Lead, Dennis Birdsall Bass. me on drums such happy daysBefore that I played with the ledgend that is Johnny Joyce at the Plasterers any one rember thatagain we played all over Leeds me John and Pip
life is not a dress rehearsal

Linky Oik

Post by Linky Oik »

Ah, the old Cherry Tree! Remember it well. I didn't like the place much but my mates did, so we called-in every so often. To my eternal shame, I was thrown out on my 18th birthday. Long story involving a pint of mixed dregs, some tab-ends and a bet.As for the bands, I preferred the Fforde Grene, but I do have vague recollection of seeing Knife Edge and Red Lorry, Yellow Lorry there. They were pretty good as I recall.Johnny Joyce was great fun. As a bunch of teenagers, we often turned-up for an ironic sing-a-long. Mostly in the Granville, but often in other Burmantofts-area pubs. I have fond memories of a young bloke in the Granville who would always step-up to sing Running Bear, with JJ's trio accompanying. Johnny could easily have been a bit irritated by us teenagers, but he always took us in good spirit and seemed like a good bloke.And if you want to talk dubious pubs, I could chew-over events in the Granville all day...

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

The Cherry tree is the only pub I ever worked in - for about 2 weeks (I wasn't even 18!!)The cheapest beer was a 'Light Ale' that everyone called 'Blue' due to the pump colour. A half cost 10p.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

Used to go in with my mates on some Friday nights when we had a change from the East Street/York Road runs.There was a band on with a rather dishy blonde singer I remember. They used to do a lot of Police numbers. The only pub I ever worked in was the Hope Inn when Laurie was landlord, if people remember him.We also used to go to the Fairway, Staging Post and Fforde Grene if there were decent bands on. Saw Ginger Baker at the FG and quite often Bill Nelson's Be Bop de Luxe at the Fairway. I got chased out of the Fairway by Big Cath once. But then, who didn't?    

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

Hi Steve266.Don't know long ut is since you were in Leeds but the oldCherry Tree concert room is now the Lincoln Green Mosqe.Strange choice!had they known about the history of boozing,fightingand fornicating they might have had second thoughts.You would be amazed at seeing the area now,itsgone down the pan big style.
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

Steve266

Post by Steve266 »

Hi DogdukeYes I know the area has shall we say altered from the good old days I have not lived in Leeds for over thirty years but still worked there until retiring in 2007So I used to still visit some of the old haunts but most of the Pubs I played in have gone or are shadows of their former glory Back in the 70's if you were not in the boozer by 7 to 7.30 no seats left but of course closing was 10.30 the latest we played was up to about 11 but when I played with Joyce'y the pub was packed five nights a week and Sunday Lunch and because we were resident no humping of gear so we would just turn up play any new songs we practised on the nightSteve
life is not a dress rehearsal

zip55

Post by zip55 »

Anybody put a date on when plastic glasses (oxymoron?) were trialled at the Fairway? My memory's a bit shot, but probably around 1974-75 ?

majorhoundii

Post by majorhoundii »

drapesy wrote: The Cherry tree is the only pub I ever worked in - for about 2 weeks (I wasn't even 18!!)The cheapest beer was a 'Light Ale' that everyone called 'Blue' due to the pump colour. A half cost 10p. I recall going to the Cherry Tree once, Christmas 1964. But I'm sure it was a Tetley's pub then. I know that Tetleys and Bass swapped some pubs in the seventies - the Halfway House at Morley, formerly Ind Coope, then Tetleys became Bass in this swap, so perhaps the Cherry Tree was included, or perhaps my memory is faulty. I recall on the same night out ending up in a restaurant on Merrion Street called the Blue Lagoon, and having steak and chips, it's now an Indian.

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

majorhoundii wrote: drapesy wrote: The Cherry tree is the only pub I ever worked in - for about 2 weeks (I wasn't even 18!!)The cheapest beer was a 'Light Ale' that everyone called 'Blue' due to the pump colour. A half cost 10p. I recall going to the Cherry Tree once, Christmas 1964. But I'm sure it was a Tetley's pub then. I know that Tetleys and Bass swapped some pubs in the seventies - the Halfway House at Morley, formerly Ind Coope, then Tetleys became Bass in this swap, so perhaps the Cherry Tree was included, or perhaps my memory is faulty. I recall on the same night out ending up in a restaurant on Merrion Street called the Blue Lagoon, and having steak and chips, it's now an Indian. The Little Park on Hyde Park Road was Bass then Tetley's. (Or maybe the other way round.)    
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

zip55 wrote: Anybody put a date on when plastic glasses (oxymoron?) were trialled at the Fairway? My memory's a bit shot, but probably around 1974-75 ? The end of the Fairway: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjtXBUjv
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell