Secret Watering Holes

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
Michael

Post by Michael »

The pubs off Briggate do disappear.Does anyone remember the Ostlers?

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

The one "at the side of the back entrance of M&S" is actually Whitelocks!
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

LeeRatbag

Post by LeeRatbag »

Michael wrote: The pubs off Briggate do disappear.Does anyone remember the Ostlers? Heh. Only ever went in there once, on a work's night out. Terrible place, like a big underground warehouse...

LeeRatbag

Post by LeeRatbag »

drapesy wrote: The one "at the side of the back entrance of M&S" is actually Whitelocks! Yep. The Packhorse is a bit further up, but not quite as far up as the Ship.

russ

Post by russ »

Michael wrote: The pubs off Briggate do disappear.Does anyone remember the Ostlers? I do remember the Ostlers VERY well it was a small rough & ready pub it always was full of big gangs of lads.I knew the landlord and land lady very well,Steve Marrow and his wife Michelle.Not sure if anyone knows this but they lived above the pub,well when i say above you had to come back up the stairs out into the precinct area then the is an alleyway just in between the 2 buildings (as if you are stood in front of the Ostlers lookin at it its on the left hand side) there is a metal staircase that leads up the side of the building that lead up to the flat above.I knew the doormen there as well there was Leroy (think that was his name) and there was Benny (i know Benny very well and his brothers JOE,MICK AND PETER.Here's another little snippet as well.On BOAR LANE there is an underground entrance that cars can be drove (if i can remember rightly its the one virtually next door to McDonalds on the same side) its like a delivery entrance to various shops on BOAR LANE and this underground road leads right up to the back (trade) entrance to the Ostlers    

Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

munki wrote: It took me ages to pin down where the Angel is! The entrance to Angel Inn Yard seemed to move - like something out of Narnia. Sometimes it was there & sometimes it wasn't... I had to make a mental note that the Link cashpoint was the entrance to the Yard. It does move!!! Ha ha ha. I've walked past it every time I've tried to go there. I think the Ship sign draws you past it.Very cheap too. Sam Smith is a bit rough but at £2.80 for 2 pints who's complaining.
Ravioli, ravioli followed by ravioli. I happen to like ravioli.

Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

russ wrote: Michael wrote: The pubs off Briggate do disappear.Does anyone remember the Ostlers? I do remember the Ostlers VERY well it was a small rough & ready pub it always was full of big gangs of lads.I knew the landlord and land lady very well,Steve Marrow and his wife Michelle.Not sure if anyone knows this but they lived above the pub,well when i say above you had to come back up the stairs out into the precinct area then the is an alleyway just in between the 2 buildings (as if you are stood in front of the Ostlers lookin at it its on the left hand side) there is a metal staircase that leads up the side of the building that lead up to the flat above.I knew the doormen there as well there was Leroy (think that was his name) and there was Benny (i know Benny very well and his brothers JOE,MICK AND PETER.Here's another little snippet as well.On BOAR LANE there is an underground entrance that cars can be drove (if i can remember rightly its the one virtually next door to McDonalds on the same side) its like a delivery entrance to various shops on BOAR LANE and this underground road leads right up to the back (trade) entrance to the Ostlers     Ostlers yeah, popular with the young footie rascals in the 80's. It was like an old air raid shelter inside.Litchfields downstairs on the Headrow opposite Stumps. Greatest jukebox in town for years.

Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

tasha wrote: I love those little pubs (with the possible exception of the ship), but was only introduced to them over the summer through people from work who are local to Leeds - they do seem to be a well kept secret with regard to students.The Angel is very nice, but i'm also a big fan of a pint of cider in the yard of Whitelocks on a summer's evening! Has a bit more of an authentic old man's pub feel to it. I don't mind the Ship, it's the Pack Horse I can't really get on with. It's kept none of it's charm and I remember the 80's too well when it was a neon lit hell hole full of little twerps like me and my mates.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Reginal Perrin wrote: munki wrote: It took me ages to pin down where the Angel is! The entrance to Angel Inn Yard seemed to move - like something out of Narnia. Sometimes it was there & sometimes it wasn't... I had to make a mental note that the Link cashpoint was the entrance to the Yard. It does move!!! Ha ha ha. I've walked past it every time I've tried to go there. I think the Ship sign draws you past it.Very cheap too. Sam Smith is a bit rough but at £2.80 for 2 pints who's complaining. Reginal,may i reccomend the Sam Smiths Old Brewery Pale ale.Bottled it may be,and not the cheapest tipple but its refreshing,tasty and hits the soft spot pretty quickly.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds contactinfo@secretleeds.com

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Every time ive been to the Pack Horse recently the real ale has been off,the pumps and the recpective clips are there but they seem to be always off.Also the Whitelocks is none too welcoming theese days.since the smoking ban the smell of the old place permeates the atmoshphere from either the toilets or the cellar.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds contactinfo@secretleeds.com