gay bars

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
geoffb

Post by geoffb »

uncle mick wrote: LS12 wrote: where was Rockshots? does anyone know when this closed or remember this place? Rockshots was at 174 Lower Briggate, near the railway bridge Was that the Pentagon in a previous life?

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi everyone,Another place, in the 1960's, was the Royal Hotel which was in an alleyway off Lower Briggate.Ian

franco

Post by franco »

I remember Rockshots well, and below it a vast gay bar called Bananas. Yes, the pulsating high energy disco music, the acrid but euphoric aroma of liquid gold poppers and the infamous "meat rack" row of seats. But most off all i remember the men, God! those gorgeous muscular men. Anyway must dash, the wife needs picking up from bingo.

Patexpat

Post by Patexpat »

LS12 wrote: where was Rockshots? does anyone know when this closed or remember this place? Rockshots was in the same location as Primos (on the corner opposite the New Penny) ... but can't remember which came first! The owner of Primos was a neighbour of ours many years ago, and had a lovely collie dog. There were some amusing comings and goings at his house tho ...

Patexpat

Post by Patexpat »

BillyBritvic wrote: s.ps, does anyone remember The Amsterdam Bar in Huddersfield?         I was a student at Huddersfield in the hey day of the Amsterdam bar ... was a 'fun pub' rather than an out and out gay venue, and had many a fab night out there .... the atmosphere was always great and if I remember correctly the staff danced on the bar banging tamborines! Wasn't the Sally Army tho ...

LS12

Post by LS12 »

I though Primo's II was on New York Street near the markets, not Lower Briggate?

LS12

Post by LS12 »

Does anyone know when the Royal Hotel closed? Regent Court is in its place and opened in 1983 I think, so it obviously was some time before this, I had heard previously of the Royal Hotel been a known meeting place for gay men, but I think this was before 1968 before homosexually was decrimalised. I doubt it was an 'offical' gay bar after 1968. Did anyone ever go there? Was it actually a hotel ?

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

LS12 wrote: Does anyone know when the Royal Hotel closed? Regent Court is in its place and opened in 1983 I think, so it obviously was some time before this, I had heard previously of the Royal Hotel been a known meeting place for gay men, but I think this was before 1968 before homosexually was decrimalised. I doubt it was an 'offical' gay bar after 1968. Did anyone ever go there? Was it actually a hotel ? There are a couple of pictures on Leodis which give a potted history of the Royal Hotel - 2002813_39573306 and 2009217_168382.I hope these may be of interest.-
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

[quotenick="LS12"]Does anyone know when the Royal Hotel closed? The last time it was in the phone book was 1970

Patexpat

Post by Patexpat »

LS12 wrote: I though Primo's II was on New York Street near the markets, not Lower Briggate? yup - the original was on Lower Briggate, but at some point they moved, hence Primos II (2) ....