gay bars

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
PJ

Post by PJ »

That brought back a few memories!Spent many a happy late couple of hours at "Charlie's".Then down to the Klondyke for tea and toast before going home as it got light.

LS12

Post by LS12 »

Parksider, when did the Bridge open, what era decade was the 'Mitre' open?does anyone know when Rockshots and Primos were open?

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

LS12 wrote: Parksider, when did the Bridge open, what era decade was the 'Mitre' open?does anyone know when Rockshots and Primos were open? Sorry Mate all I know is Liits date is about right, and i do't know the Mitre.......Someone who does will be along soon!

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

LS12 wrote: Parksider, when did the Bridge open, what era decade was the 'Mitre' open?does anyone know when Rockshots and Primos were open? I am 99% sure the Bridge Inn used to be the IOTTA cafe which was owned by Brian Kennedy the England table tennis player from Morley.Hence the name of the cafe (I Owe Table Tennis All) and it was still there in the late 1970's early 80'sEDIThttp://www.flickr.com/photos/cliffordstead/6721896657/The Mitre was originally the Horse and Jockey. I can track the Mitre back to 1922 and it appears to have closed circa 1961 ( liits knows more about these things.)Rockshots appears to have opened circa 1984 as to Primo's I haven't a clue    

LS12

Post by LS12 »

where was Rockshots? does anyone know when this closed or remember this place?

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

Nice picture of The Horse & Jockey / Mitre on Leodis.http://www.leodis.org/display.aspx?reso ... ifier=7968

String o' beads

And here's the history of the Bridge. Used to be a cafe and a second hand shop.http://www.gayleeds.com/interviews/arti ... bar-leeds/

liits

Post by liits »

uncle mick wrote: LS12 wrote: Parksider, when did the Bridge open, what era decade was the 'Mitre' open?does anyone know when Rockshots and Primos were open? I am 99% sure the Bridge Inn used to be the IOTTA cafe which was owned by Brian Kennedy the England table tennis player from Morley.Hence the name of the cafe (I Owe Table Tennis All) and it was still there in the late 1970's early 80'sThe Mitre was originally the Horse and Jockey. I can track the Mitre back to 1922 and it appears to have closed circa 1961 ( liits knows more about these things.)Rockshots appears to have opened circa 1984 as to Primo's I haven't a clue The info about the Mitre being a gay venu is anecdotal and comes from a family friend. It was a bit before my time!It did close at the end of 1961, there not have been any application for the renewal of the license. It had almost been the Horse and Jockey. The original premises of the Horse and Jockey were rebuilt and when the final declaration of the grant of license was made [September 1893], a request was made to the Justices -and granted, that the name of the premises be changed to The Mitre.Primo’s was certainly open in the early 90’s as it was one of my regular haunts when I came to Leeds on leave and was certainly still open at the end of 93 when I went to live “in the smoke”.

String o' beads

There are more gay bars then I thought:http://www.leeds-uk.com/gay/leeds-gay-scene.htm

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

LS12 wrote: where was Rockshots? does anyone know when this closed or remember this place? Rockshots was at 174 Lower Briggate, near the railway bridge