gay bars

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

The Parksider wrote: LS12 wrote: does anyone know of any old pubs/ bars which were used by gay men to meet? or any history regarding the gay scene in Leeds? have heard of Rockshots and Primos II is the 80's but not sure when these opened / closed? The hope and anchor that became the new Penny was a stalwart for years and continues to be so.In recent years the Old Red Lion and The Bridge made a nice little circuit for the gay community.I used to go to the White hart bottom of Pool Bank regularly with the wife, friends and family. Once the wife and I dropped in on a Sunday and she was just about the only lady there, then it dawned on us that sunday lunch was for Gay men to have a trip out to the country! Hi The Parksider,My wife and I often visited the White Hart at Pool during the late 1970's/early 1980's, on a Sunday evening, and you are right, many of the visitors were homosexuals. I think that this occurred because of the fact that the tenants, Wilf Scott and his wife, used to run the Picadilly Bar at the back of Leeds City Varieties and alot of the theatrical/entertainment people used to frequent the bar, and many of them were homosexuals. When Wilf and his wife moved to the White Hart, they followed and Sunday evening was their 'main night'. I found that they were 'older' and more affluent types. I can remember one that was a hairdresser in Lewiss's Store Barbers Shop, an older man who lived at Bramhope, who I think owned a company, and used to turn up in a new Jaguar or in full leathers on a new Ducati type sports bike. Another used to be a great accordion player and entertained everyone. I found that the best night of all was on New Year's Eve - it was fantastic and many of the visitors would get up and sing or play musical instruments.Sadly, it all changed when Wilf and his wife left the pub. It later became an M & B Vintage Inn (it was the first one in the country) and then changed to a more upmarket M & B Premium Country Dining Pub.Ian

iansmithofotley

geoffb wrote: The New Penny was previously the Hope and Anchor. In the 1960s it had really bad reputation and was highlighted in the News of the World because of the Homosexual clientele (before gays). The week after this article Leeds United played Rangers in a European game and their fans wrecked it. It was closed for a while and reopened as the New Penny. Hi geoffb,I think that the article in the press, besides the fact that homosexuals frequented the place, was to do with lewd performances by the comedian called Harry Bendon. His name has appeared in threads on this site before and there are lots of references to him on Google.Ian

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

[quotenick="liitsThe Mitre on Commercaial Street had been another gay venue. The bottom of the stairs having atwo way mirror through which either the police [or the talent] could be viewed as they / it arrived. Never even considered going in the Mitre which always looked grotty to me - but I do clearly remember when walking by that there was a tatty paper notice on a mucky mirror on a landing to the basement which read "Ladies not admitted" - this caused many ribald comments from passers by.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

The Wrens had a bit of a reputation at one time.
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Wasn't there a gay bar on Vicar Lane called the Gemini Bar in the early 80's?I think it was in this building herehttp://tinyurl.com/792z466It was a bar on two levels if I remember correctly, one was a straight bar, and the other for gays, which I didn't know about at the time lol I don't think I went in again.    
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

BillyBritvic wrote: ps, does anyone remember The Amsterdam Bar in Huddersfield?         I remember it well, though I wouldn't call it a gay bar, rather a bar run by gaysThe Barcelona Kirkstall Road, New York Bar Wakefield, Lamplighter Castleford and Gabby's Bar Stourton were all run on similar lines.Usually a drag act finished the night dancing on the bar miming to " I am what I am"/ "I who have nothing" or something in a similar vein.What was unusual about these places is that they had plenty of bar staff but only one or two handling the money

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Jogon wrote: parkieI have to say I'm shocked at the White Hart down Pool Bank!Their choice of pale-lime green meets army-drab green window, gutter and downpipe detailing is just too close to the pale grey/brown gritstone of the building.During the week I pass there a couple of times and have it in mind to suggest an Autumn Gold or perhaps dark brown so at least there is some contrast.What was the food like? In recent years the food was great and good value. Then they refurbished in the style that you quote above, and re-did an upmarket menu. We tried it once - the food ended up average and heavily overpriced so we never went again........

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

liits wrote: The bridge is a "recent" venue. It was a Theakstone's pub [leasehold, I think] which opened sometime in the early 80's. The Mitre on Commercaial Street had been another gay venue. The bottom of the stairs having atwo way mirror through which either the police [or the talent] could be viewed as they / it arrived. Yes I remember the Bridge opening then, I was at Tetleys down the road. On two or three occasions passing the New Penny I saw "very glamorous ladies" coming out/going in to the New Penny.I can just recall my mum telling me how my dad went in the King Charles years and years ago and came straight out as it was a gay pub. Those would have been the Naked Civil Servant days, with plod on the lookout to arrest anyone gay. Did we really live through such times?

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

iansmithofotley wrote: My wife and I often visited the White Hart at Pool during the late 1970's/early 1980's, on a Sunday evening, and you are right, many of the visitors were homosexuals. Ian Cheers Ian - it wasn't just a dream then.......

iansmithofotley

Parksider said: In recent years the food was great and good value. Then they refurbished in the style that you quote above, and re-did an upmarket menu. We tried it once - the food ended up average and heavily overpriced so we never went again.Hi The Parksider,As mentioned above, when it was just a pub, my wife and I visited the White Hart regularly. When it became a Vintage Inn, it was great, we use Vintage Inns all the time as there are quite a few near to me (Cow & Calf, Dick Hudson's, Kestrel, Nelson, etc.) and we used to go to the White Hart on most Saturday evenings. For some reason, bearing in mind that the White Hart was the very first Vintage Inn in the country and it was very popular and successful, M & B closed it down, refurbished it and made it one of their more upmarket Country Dining Pubs. We visited the place once and could not believe how they had ruined it. The eating area was reduced because of a lounge area with low sofas and tables, the menu was reduced and the prices of the food had considerably increased. We just had a quick drink and left and we have not been in since. M & B also did exactly the same to the Pine Martin, so we no longer go there, either. It's a shame, but, living near to Otley, we are lucky to have the other places. We like the Kestrel, the Cow and Calf and Dick Hudson's. We find that Vintage Inns are good value for money. I realise that alot of the food is probably 'pre-packaged' and not necessarily prepared on the premises but if it tastes okay, the beer's okay, the place is clean and tidy and there is a good atmosphere, then that's fine.Ian