Cinemas in Leeds

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
edgey2001

Post by edgey2001 »

Just thought I would start off a thread for Cinemas in Leeds. Can anyone remember the Shaftsbury Cinema on York Road, I vividly remember going there about 1974 just before it shut down, cant remember the film, but there does'nt seem to be any interior pictures of the building, does anyone have any stashed away somewhere.

edgey2001

Post by edgey2001 »

Sorry , can this be moved to the correct section , I 've posted it in the wrong area.

munki

Post by munki »

I've moved it to 'Nightlife' (as you can probably see!).
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

dERvXeroX

Post by dERvXeroX »

edgey2001 wrote: Just thought I would start off a thread for Cinemas in Leeds. Can anyone remember the Shaftsbury Cinema on York Road, I vividly remember going there about 1974 just before it shut down, cant remember the film, but there does'nt seem to be any interior pictures of the building, does anyone have any stashed away somewhere. I vaguely remember going to the "Saturday Matinee" as a kid with my mate and his younger brother.I think I once saw Pinochio there.Is it only the entrance that remains or was that dive of a nightclub "Starlight" part of it? I think that's what they called it.

dERvXeroX

Post by dERvXeroX »

Ill I've found so far is on leodis.nethttp://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?resourceIde ... AY=FULLIts behind the tram!!

johnt

Post by johnt »

Shaftsbury not in my neck of the woods but we could go to different cinema every night of the week all within 5 - 10 mins walk of Beeston Hill where I grew up Gainsborough, Top Moor Side, Malvern, Rex, Crescent, Pavillion, Palace, Queens

Cinders

Post by Cinders »

I remember going regularly to the Dominion and the Kingsway cinemas on Chapeltown road around the 1950s & 60s, now both blocks of flats. The Clock which is still there on Roundhay Road was a wonderful cinema with double banquettes at the back ! Cinema architecture was just so wonderful in those days. Saw my first film in 1952 at the Clock and it was called "Where the River Bends" a cowboy film.Anyone else remember?

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

Please see the excellent Cinemas thread in Buildings and structures for more infoCheers,dsco
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.