An invite to a Light Night tour of Secret Leeds. But it's up to you to design it...

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
munki

Post by munki »

Letty wrote: Would love to be involved, am lacking in expereince of leeds even tho. i live here. If i can offer any services (certain organising ones) give me a shout. High and low sounds really good, always wanted to go to the topof the town hall!!!! Any ghost walks????? Midnight walks around and ghost stories, taking a leaf out of York's pages....or even historical pub walks.... real ale pubs, the list could be endless....;-) Hello Letty! Funnily enough, have been planning a pretty ghostly tour of the Town Hall, including the top of the Clocktower, this very day! Nothing has been confirmed yet but it will be announced on the website - that's www.lightnight.co.uk, for those of you who haven't picked up on my shameless advertising yet - as soon as they have been confirmed!
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

munki

Post by munki »

Phill_d wrote: Well Tinfish you hit the 'Holy grail' on the head with the Merrion center Odeon.. I know one or two people really want to get in there but since the work has already started ripping out a fantastic piece of retro history without even recording it properly i fear the opportunity is lost for good... I do hope not... What does munki think? Any chance of pulling off a great scoop at the 11th hour mate... Before light night i'd have to say?? I will ask again, but I don't think so this time... They were quite specific about 'No more publicity'. Looks like they are taking the advice on this notice for the last time. 'Will the last one to leave..?'
Attachments
__TFMF_jul3hu3hkthsn5vy3tfw2k55_adef8e52-7d79-4d9a-9b08-5a2253d70b6e_0_MaintainAspect.jpg
__TFMF_jul3hu3hkthsn5vy3tfw2k55_adef8e52-7d79-4d9a-9b08-5a2253d70b6e_0_MaintainAspect.jpg (37.64 KiB) Viewed 2924 times
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

FarnleyBloke

Post by FarnleyBloke »

What about the churches at night, trinity, the Parish church, St Johns, Mill Hill, St Annes??Also how about the yards and alleyways of Briggate / Lower Briggate, try and find out who owns access to Lamberts Yard? (One for you Phill!!) Would be some good stop off places in these aswell!!The Market at night? All them galleries and rooms on the second level must be full of good stuff.I'm liking the Dark Arches plan aswell.

munki

Post by munki »

A lot of those churches will definitely be open, with events going on in them anyway, well into the night. St John's is proper scary after dark!The alleyways of Briggate might have some potential.The Dark Arches looks like a popular choice. I am working on getting access to those, & will keep you all updated.

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

What's the best way of finding the owner of the Grand arcade? Who normally owns these things? I can't get any google luck...
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

munki

Post by munki »

Have a pint in Sandanista's (nice place, fairly quiet on a Friday night). Ask them to show you the clock through the glass... and how you would get permission to see it even closer.Take a torch.

munki

Post by munki »

This competition has now been posted on www.lightnight.co.uk, so you might get some decent competition from people who are not Secret Leedsers...
Attachments
__TFMF_ilh3ub45b2g4gt550qlbcvna_5d80c150-fc78-4859-a78b-12f3bbe13bc6_0_MaintainAspect.jpg
__TFMF_ilh3ub45b2g4gt550qlbcvna_5d80c150-fc78-4859-a78b-12f3bbe13bc6_0_MaintainAspect.jpg (24.23 KiB) Viewed 2924 times

deano_bramley

Post by deano_bramley »

what about the tunnels under the train station? look north managed to get a little peek down there so .....

munki

Post by munki »

Look North & me, as it happens! It was a Secret Leeds Feature...To be honest, it wasn't the most pleasant of places, though it was interesting. High risk of Weil's Disease due to the presence of rat's urine. And pigeons nest on the floor in there, cause it is so rarely disturbed. So you have to watch every step in order to avoid standing on a clutch of eggs. Still, it will be added to the list of potential places for the tour!

Scandy Bramley

Post by Scandy Bramley »

You'll all end up arrested, prowling around at night!!! :-))) Seriously tho - Hope you all have a great time!As for treading on pigeon eggs - the more the merrier. Bloody flying rats they are - GGGRRR!
You can take the lad out of Leeds - but you can't take the Leeds out of the lad.