An invite to a Light Night tour of Secret Leeds. But it's up to you to design it...

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
Barwicker

Post by Barwicker »

Would it be possible to gain access to one or other of the taller buildings now under construction in Leeds. There is one not far from the Wrens.

munki

Post by munki »

I like the 'high' & 'low' theme. So, the Bridgewater Place Penthouse goes on the list of places we would like to have.We'll have to wipe our feet after trawling through those seweres, though!
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

You beat me to it Barwicker.. Great minds think a like... Bridgewater place is a must.. Saying that if the developers were made to have made the tallest flagsip building in Leeds as a public viewing gallery in the 1st place we need not be asking. Also it's occupied by 'The haves' who might not take to kindly to 'The have nots' of this world trampling muddy boots all over there new carpet as munki rightly points out... For the underground bit now..How about under the dark arches (not the granary Wharf public area) but under the station & see all the working bits... We'd have to be on our best behaviour for the Railway board to even think about it... The 2 locations are next door to each other & there'd be some good night time photography to be had down there!!
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

I would love to be on top of Bridgewater Place. This is the baby of Landmark Developments of Leeds who used to own the building I work in. I've met Ken Morton, one of the Directors, a very pleasant chap, but I suspect that now completed, access to BWP would more likely to be at the discretion of the new tenants rather than the Developers.Somwhow I suspect they will be over-run with requests to visit this magnificent vantage point so, sadly, I think the chances of success would not be good.

Letty

Post by Letty »

Would love to be involved, am lacking in expereince of leeds even tho. i live here. If i can offer any services (certain organising ones) give me a shout. High and low sounds really good, always wanted to go to the topof the town hall!!!! Any ghost walks????? Midnight walks around and ghost stories, taking a leaf out of York's pages....or even historical pub walks.... real ale pubs, the list could be endless....;-)

Squatch_11

Post by Squatch_11 »

In terms of a "low" place, I'd love to see if there's anything left under the old central station. One of the first discussions I had on here was about tunnels running away from the old power station on Whitehall Road. Someone once told me that there were alsorts of underground storage areas for perishables like bananas coming into the railway station, before refridgerated units were around.Anything around Wellington Street would be great I'd say!Out of the centre, Barnbow works always seems to generate a lot of interest, is there any possibility of getting in and about that place?The other obvious one to me is a proper tour of the dark arches - I'm sure there must be tons of stuff down there that one misses.

munki

Post by munki »

Agreed with the Dark Arches... I am on to it. Watch this space for further news...
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

How about getting behind the clock in the Grand arcade... I'd love to see those figures close up.. It hasn't worked for years so it'll be nice & safe... COME ON MUNKI... I'd love this place!!!
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

tinfish

Post by tinfish »

great idea guys, wished i had heard of lightnight before!an obvious suggestion, and some of you may have seen inside before, but what about the infamous old cinema in the merrion centre?as I understand it the seats have been ripped out now so there would be a useful performance space and gaining access i would imagine would be relatively easy.also aren't many of the offices in ther merrion centre empty? (and have been so for many years).
Epiphany Search Marketing

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Well Tinfish you hit the 'Holy grail' on the head with the Merrion center Odeon.. I know one or two people really want to get in there but since the work has already started ripping out a fantastic piece of retro history without even recording it properly i fear the opportunity is lost for good... I do hope not... What does munki think? Any chance of pulling off a great scoop at the 11th hour mate... Before light night i'd have to say??