In Time, Merrion Centre

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
BarFly

Post by BarFly »

It was probably a while after you left that I managed to walk the route and only then by starting in the Wade Street subway and sneaking off when the work was slow.

Dutch Dave

Post by Dutch Dave »

julianem wrote: Can't give any more info myself as no longer in Leeds. I remember seeing Le Phonograph kiosk in the centre of the Merrion Centre.The Intime was as quoted " The InTime was half way up the ramp on the left hand side (going up), and the door is still there"Madness to assume time ever stood still. By the way, anyone ever go to the Plebeians Jazz Club in Halifax...?http://www.julianmoseley.pwp.blueyonder ... zzclub.htm The Plebeians Jazz Club, Upper George Yard, Halifax?Yes, I was a regular every weekend (sometimes ALL weekend) from 1962 to 65 when the jazz element was what it was about. Sadly, it changed direction, musically, and became a centre for Northern Soul.There were some great local bands playing including Leeds' White Eagle Jazz Band and Ed O'Donnell. Great part of my teenage years and sadly missed.Now doing missionary work on a Greek island (someone has to educate them about Yorkshire pud!), I console myself with playing jazz CDs on my "local's" music system.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Dutch Dave. Thread about Leeds Jazz in the 60's http://www.secretleeds.com/forum/Messag ... tMessage=0

Dutch Dave

Post by Dutch Dave »

In Time was, as described, in the subterranean part of the Merrion Centre but there was also the Bali Hai up some stairs on the first floor. The Merrion Centre in the late 60s/early 70s also had an Indian restaurant, the Ashoka, opposite Romeo and Juliets and, what is now the NCP car park, had a Star petrol filling station at the entrance. Is the Pig and Whistle still there on Woodhouse Lane and the Scandia Grill?

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Dutch Dave wrote: Is the Pig and Whistle still there on Woodhouse Lane and the Scandia Grill? The location of the Pig and Whistle is still a bar who's name I currently forget. It was empty for a number of years when the P&W closed and I think this is at least the 2nd recincarnation of a bar since it reopened.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

BJF

Post by BJF »

Pig and Whistle is now the Fab Cafe. Mock seventies.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Dutch Dave wrote: In Time was, as described, in the subterranean part of the Merrion Centre but there was also the Bali Hai up some stairs on the first floor. The Merrion Centre in the late 60s/early 70s also had an Indian restaurant, the Ashoka, opposite Romeo and Juliets and, what is now the NCP car park, had a Star petrol filling station at the entrance. Is the Pig and Whistle still there on Woodhouse Lane and the Scandia Grill? Where was "Romeo and Juliets" I thought I new most places in the late 60s and 70's but this has got me baffled

Dutch Dave

Post by Dutch Dave »

Sorry, Uncle Mick, for the mistake; it wasn't Romeo and Juliet's (I'll have to pack in this quiz stuff and the Greek beer) it was, it was, let me think......................Cinderella Rockerfellas or some such garbage.I'm suffering advanced alcozeimers according to She Who Must Be Obeyed.