Tetley Bitter

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

Si,I very nearly mentioned The Old Roundabout in my posting across on the Stanningley thread. I was surprised that it stayed open as long as it did. Never went in it myself - I was well below drinking age when I frequented that neck of the woods.I'm teetotal now, but reading this thread (or at least some of it) reminds me of CAMRA membership during the 80s when derogatory terms were coined for some of the truly awful overpriced muck the big brewers tried to foist on to the more gullible public. Examples which come to mind were a Spoonerism for Whitbread Tankard; Grotney's Red Barrel, Falstaff was "Foulstuff", while the strapline for "Arctic Lite - It's Electric!" was altered to "Arctic Lite - It's Certainly Shocking!" My favourite was a lapel badge which declared "DD is K9P."I also acquired another lapel badge which said "I don't know whether I need a bottle in front of me, or a frontal lobotomy!" Happy Days.BTW, I haven't trawled all through this thread (yet), so apols in advance for any duplication.
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

Si

Post by Si »

Uno Hoo wrote: Si,I very nearly mentioned The Old Roundabout in my posting across on the Stanningley thread. I was surprised that it stayed open as long as it did. Never went in it myself - I was well below drinking age when I frequented that neck of the woods. Hi Uno, I may have mentioned this on here before, but the bell-push system still used to work in the Old Roundabout in the 70s. A little old lady (Iris, I think) would come and take your order. ISTR the bar was in the corridor. Somme - I also frequented the White Horse. Wasn't it run by an old Rugby League player at some time? I remember seeing the famous aerial picture of Odsal when full on the wall in there.        

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

to Uno Hoo:Believe the RL player was Graham Eccles.............
        I'm not just anybody,I am sommebody !

biofichompinc

Post by biofichompinc »

somme1916 wrote: .......Other excellent Teleys could also be got at Albion,Sycamore(secky),Slip Inn,Bridgefield,Miners,Rock,Stump Cross all in Morley........         Sorry but this almost kept me awake last night. Did you mean to say Brunswick in there and not.....

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

Salt'n pepperRe: Bridgefield.........yes Brunswick of course......! just thinking 'n reminiscing 'bout the old Tetley ale has "clouded my judgement" albeit temporarily.Great little old fashioned boozer.Tardis looking like on o/side and opened up into the back.Small room upstairs sometimes used as a bar and for functions.Used to love that place........so did our lass.

Si

Post by Si »

somme1916 wrote: to Uno Hoo:Believe the RL player was Graham Eccles............. Here's a pic of the White Horse, Pudsey. There are two comments associated with the photo on Leodis which mention Dennis Murphy and Graham Eccles. Murphy was the one I was thinking of. Sadly he died in 2010.    
Attachments
__TFMF_0ui05rqdotlo5cjptqi34g55_c8a51c94-a8f1-4a58-817b-28e9b7163978_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_0ui05rqdotlo5cjptqi34g55_c8a51c94-a8f1-4a58-817b-28e9b7163978_0_main.jpg (27.43 KiB) Viewed 3275 times

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

somme1916 wrote: to Uno Hoo:Believe the RL player was Graham Eccles............. Thanks for the info', somme16, but I think it was actually Si who mentioned the White Horse in Pudsey.
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

Loiner in Cyprus

Post by Loiner in Cyprus »

.Teleys(proper) went into steady decline starting in the mid 80's until it became almost unrecognisable by the late 90's.There was some right rubbish being turned out then and after.They will never recover what they had.....after all it's not even made in Leeds anymore.I wish I had that recipe back from the 70's.....I'm sure someone has somewhere !                In the 70s I used to drink in the Leeds RL Supporters Club in the Headingley ground and the Tetleys there was always spot on.

book

Post by book »

I used to go in the RL Supporters Club in the 70s, they tell me it's closed now.
Is it me or has Leeds gone mad

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

Tetleys in supporters bar.........true,used to visit that watering hole myself.We used to laugh at "scruffy cuffs" who was one of the staff who had to wear white shirts behind bar.He always had "scruffy cuffs".......we once went to watch a cricket game there and he served on that bar too in the bar half way up the stand.When we asked where he was,we were told he had died ! Alas....no more "scruffy cuffs"