Tetley Bitter

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
Si

Post by Si »

The Parksider wrote: Tetley's Imperial - now that was a beer..... It certainly was. I used to drink loads of it the late-lamented Five Wand Mill in Bensham, Gateshead, c.1979.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

That it was.

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

What about India Pale Ale?

geoffb

Post by geoffb »

Geordie-exile wrote: What about India Pale Ale? Dont think Tetleys made IPA. However there are many breweries brewing it now. My favorite IPA of all time was Youngers, sadly no more.

String o' beads

My reason for asking is that my grandparents used to have a bottle or two of a bottled Tetley ale of an evening, which I thought was the Special Pale. Tall bottle?

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Geordie-exile wrote: My reason for asking is that my grandparents used to have a bottle or two of a bottled Tetley ale of an evening, which I thought was the Special Pale. Tall bottle? Up to about 1973 Tetleys Pale Ale and Tetleys Family Ale brewed at the Brewery in Leeds bottled at Leeds."Special" pale ale came after that, brewed, bottled and canned at Burton and designed to get people drinking Lager.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Brandy wrote: Peroni make a good lager.................so i hear Let's not overlook local boys Asda who's delicious Belgian Lager is a snip at £1.62 p/lr and is pale golden colour, full bodied with slight bitter aftertaste.According to their web site and I. Though if I have to choose it is always Carling.

String o' beads

The Parksider wrote: Geordie-exile wrote: My reason for asking is that my grandparents used to have a bottle or two of a bottled Tetley ale of an evening, which I thought was the Special Pale. Tall bottle? Up to about 1973 Tetleys Pale Ale and Tetleys Family Ale brewed at the Brewery in Leeds bottled at Leeds."Special" pale ale came after that, brewed, bottled and canned at Burton and designed to get people drinking Lager. Ah, this was well pre 1973 so it was prolly the Pale Ale. Was that a good drink? And is there anything remotely similar now?

majorhoundii

Post by majorhoundii »

The Parksider wrote: Geordie-exile wrote: My reason for asking is that my grandparents used to have a bottle or two of a bottled Tetley ale of an evening, which I thought was the Special Pale. Tall bottle? Up to about 1973 Tetleys Pale Ale and Tetleys Family Ale brewed at the Brewery in Leeds bottled at Leeds."Special" pale ale came after that, brewed, bottled and canned at Burton and designed to get people drinking Lager. I remember Tetleys Family Ale - also their Dinner Ale. Didn't they also brew a barley wine? Was it called Arctic?I could never tell the difference between Tetley's Special and John Smiths Pale Ale. I used to love the old Tetleys bitter - in the seventies and early eighties I used to buy draught (handpumped) Tetleys bitter to take out from the Holbeck Ale Wine and Spirit Vault - they stopped selling it when Tetleys stopped selling 9 gallon barrels - couldn't get the bigger barrels in their cellar. Pedders Off Licence at Beeston also used to sell draught cask ales - usually Theakstons.I had a few pints of Tetleys in the Gardeners Arms in Morley over Christmas - it doesn't taste the same - I was glad when I'd had enough

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

I used occasionally to drink tetleys in the Adelphi whilst in Leeds from York for union meetings around 1977-1983.I never thought the bitter up to much but mild was acceptable. The information about sulphuric acid further up this thread confirms something I long suspected.I remeber asking tetleys about their original wells when looking into Holy wells and spas in West Yorkshire in 1990 and got a very curt response when asking about the purity of their water supply!    
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!