The White Eagles Jazz Band - John James

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
Ragstu

Post by Ragstu »

My dear, not so old, Dad John James, one time player/member? in The White Eagles Jazz Band (trumpet) is very poorly and currently in a hospice in Liverpool - his home town.I have been browsing his photos with him and realise that he was quite a prominent part of the Leeds jazz scene.He will kill me for posting this, but it will be all worth while if anyone can send me any anecdotes, memories, photos etc. that I can relay back to him and that will put a smile on his face and remind him of his 'glory years'.I hope anyone in the loop can respond asap as he would love to hear from you and I'd love to be the messenger!Thanks in anticipation,Rachel

biofichompinc

Post by biofichompinc »

Rachel - sorry I cannot provide any detailed anecdotes or photos but just let me start the ball rolling for your old man.My wife and I were married in 1977 and from July until October of that year lived on Hyde Park Road. During that time the White Eagles were resident at the local public house. Whatever our social life involved in those days Sunday night was always reserved for the walk down to the Royal Park pub to watch your dad and his mates at their entertaining best in the upstairs 'concert' room.The band always presented high energy, exceedingly up-tempo sessions. I remember the place being packed to the rafters Sunday after Sunday.Please give your dad our best wishes and pass our thanks on to him for the memories.

jim

Post by jim »

Rachel, if you would like to e-mail me at [email protected] I have one or two photos that should interest your father.

Bert

Post by Bert »

Hi Ragstu. The "Leeds Jazz in the 60s" thread is stuffed with tributes to all the greats of the 1960s Leeds jazz scene including your Dad's White Eagles. All I can add is that I spent many happy hours watching them perform at the Star and Garter in Kirkstall and at other pubs in and around Leeds. In fact I once played with Al Crossland's band in the interval to them there (i.e. the relief band that gave the White Eagles a chance to get in some more serious drinking). Do us all a great favour and post as many photos of the Leeds jazz scene as you can get hold of, either on this thread or on the "Jazz in the 60s" one.

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

Hi Rachel.Ive managed to dig out the '60's jazz thread' that Bert mentioned earlier.I hope you find what your looking for.Kind regardshttp://snipurl.com/1c4z5x    
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Wyatt

Post by Wyatt »

Hi Wyatt here Edd's Bassplayer in the 60's Say hello to your dad from me . He may or may not remember me.
Wyatt

Ragstu

Post by Ragstu »

Very sadly my dad died on Wednesday 27th October 2010. It was a very peaceful end. I was able to read him the various bits and pieces on here re. jazz and it filled a happy interlude in between his deep sleeps! thank you for your postings! and for the link to Ed's band thread.I have gleaned much new info. and some superb photos of my dad playing in what I think was Casey's Hot 7 in the Cavern Club, Liverpool, which I will try to post for posterity when I can. I also have a wonderful tape of dad playing which is entitled 'The White Swan Band, Pool in Wharfedale'. and a photo from the 70s in which he is wearing a blazer with a 'Woolcity Jazzmen' logo on it - he told me this was an Otley band...Lots of lost links which might jog a few memories!For info. if req. his funeral is at the Thornton Crematorium, Merseyside @ 2.30pm on Monday 8th Nov. 2010.Thank you again to all.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Sorry to hear of your loss Ragstu from reading about him on here he was a well liked guy you should be proud of him.All the best.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

If your Dad was in the Woolcity lineup, chances are that I will have seen (and heard) him perform. I always thought it was a Bradford band, hence the name. Really sorry to hear about his passing, and glad you were able to share some snippets with him first.
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

Bert

Post by Bert »

So sorry to hear of your Dad's passing Ragstu. He brought a lot more pleasure to a lot more people than most if us will ever manage to do.I too always assumed Woolcity was a Bradford band - you learn something new every day.I once saw Casey's Hot Seven at the Bradford Students' Club - in about 1960 I should think. I wonder if your Dad was with them then? They were a great band. Someone once told me that one of their musicians was related to Paul McCartney.