Anyone remember Tiffany's

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
STICKS

Post by STICKS »

Can anyone remember going to Tiffany's?

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

STICKS wrote: Can anyone remember going to Tiffany's? While not a brilliant search engine but tiffanys searched here http://www.secretleeds.co.uk/forum/Sear ... spx?Page=1 throws up 4 threads (no pun intended)
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

anthonydna

Post by anthonydna »

Went most weeks in the early 80's , spent most time upstairs in the Bali Hai though.

rodley trotter

Post by rodley trotter »

Yes, i remember bali hai fondly.when i couldnt get into the phono [cos i wasnt a regular,which reduced my chances of becoming a regular]bali hai played similar music but with less shoegazing and more chance of pulling!!!

Lt

Post by Lt »

I remember passing that place loads as a kid and always wondering what was inside

beefyburt

Re: Anyone remember Tiffany's

Post by beefyburt »

Oh my, the best place ever!! I used to go in the early 80's, it was special because it cost a lot to get in, the beer was awful and expensive, BUT....it had the biggest dance floor. The had a large revolving stage, on one side was the DJ, the other a band, and it would swap over. The DJ played all the great dance music, including the set dances like YMCA, Wig Wham Bam etc, but they weren't cheesy, everyone got up and loved it. In the centre it was the only place for me, as Cinders was too expensive and small, the others were niche like Phone and the Warehouse. I remember al the fuss over Mr Craigs opening, but it was so expensive and all show. Give me Tiffs any night.

stuartmoss

Post by stuartmoss »

Does anyone know what year Tiffany's closed?

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

A topic started by our old"friend"
Sticks !
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

stuartmoss wrote:
Wed 05 Aug, 2020 1:31 pm
Does anyone know what year Tiffany's closed?
Has it ever closed :?: It has just been rebranded several times.
It may not have opened as New Mecca but it was that into the early 70s before renaming Tiffany's. From memory it then became Ritzys, Oceana, Pryzm.

I found a reference to the Oceana->Pryzm switch in 2014 which mentioned the end of 9 years of Oceana so unless I missed one Ritzy's ->Oceana would have been 2005. That still leaves 33+ years where it was at least Tiffany's or Ritzy's
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

warringtonrhino

Post by warringtonrhino »

In the 1970-80s I was a designer in a studio at the junction of St Paul's Street and Sommer Street we were involved in designing leisure venues. I can recall working on Cinderella Rockerfellas, Tiffany's the Warehouse Mr Craigs and Bibis in Leeds. Coconut Grove Dundee, Stringfellows London, Cinderella Rockerfellas Swansea, Easy Street Nottingham, Romeo & Juliets Hull. This is a polaroid of my desk, in the foreground is a lampshade for Poppy's hairdressers on the QE2. We had a workshop at ground floor and made unique objects to go into the venues we designed including printed mirrors. I still have the original hand painted sample mirror I did for Cinderella Rockerfellas.
Attachments
my desk.jpg
my desk.jpg (241.14 KiB) Viewed 9507 times