Famous Comedian's to play Leeds

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
majorhoundii

Post by majorhoundii »

They used to have ladies taking their clothes off at the City Varieties, I went a couple of times in the mid sixties, there were two ladies and a comic in between. On one occasion the comic was a very young Jimmy Tarbuck.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

20 mins time........8.30pm Beeb 2 tonight it's Count Arthur Strong's TV Show.Acquired taste that you either get or don't."...a former variety star who has malapropisms, memory loss and other similar problems. Each episode follows the Count in his daily business and causing confusion in almost every situation. First broadcast on 23 December 2005, Count Arthur Strong's Radio Show! has had seven series and two radio specials. In 2009, the show won the Gold Sony Radio Academy Award for comedy, the highest honour for a British radio comedy..."The creation/role of Leeds actor Steve Delaney

amber

Post by amber »

Roly polys dancers/ comedians appeared on the the streets of Leeds in 1986 to launch the new mini bus service. I accompanied them we went on to Hebden Bridge and Todmorden where we danced in the market places and boy could they eat
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (33.34 KiB) Viewed 7410 times

amber

Post by amber »

Lunch for Roly Polys
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (31.77 KiB) Viewed 7410 times

jdbythesea

Post by jdbythesea »

Jogon wrote: 20 mins time........8.30pm Beeb 2 tonight it's Count Arthur Strong's TV Show.Acquired taste that you either get or don't."...a former variety star who has malapropisms, memory loss and other similar problems. Each episode follows the Count in his daily business and causing confusion in almost every situation. First broadcast on 23 December 2005, Count Arthur Strong's Radio Show! has had seven series and two radio specials. In 2009, the show won the Gold Sony Radio Academy Award for comedy, the highest honour for a British radio comedy..."The creation/role of Leeds actor Steve Delaney Thanks for the tip-off Jogon. I watched the first episode last night and I'm hooked already. Good cameo from Barry Cryer and Rory Kinnear makes a good straight-man for Steve Delaney aka "The Count".    

Loiner1960

Post by Loiner1960 »

I began to like Count Arthur Strongs radio show. Reminds me a bit of Harry Worth. Another comedian with a bit of an organizational problem. I think Steve Delaney is doing an original tribute.
Attachments
heres.jpg
heres.jpg (12.33 KiB) Viewed 7410 times

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Yeah it's like an updated Harry Worth.I've come across a few bits and do find it amusing.    

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

jdbythesea wrote: Jogon wrote: 20 mins time........8.30pm Beeb 2 tonight it's Count Arthur Strong's TV Show.Acquired taste that you either get or don't."...a former variety star who has malapropisms, memory loss and other similar problems.........The creation/role of Leeds actor Steve Delaney Thanks for the tip-off Jogon. I watched the first episode last night and I'm hooked already. Good cameo from Barry Cryer and Rory Kinnear makes a good straight-man for Steve Delaney aka "The Count".     Not much on the usual Youtube but I found this. http://dai.ly/x15l52iIt get good from about 09:15, the non-political correctness is nicely done.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

Interesting little short clip on City Varieties mentions Chaplin performing there:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-8aWTmSqc4
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Not strictly to the letter of the thread, but walking past the Town Hall at the weekend I noticed that Alan Davies, Ross Noble and Jimmy Carr all have appearances coming up there.I'm not sure if this means that the Town Hall is now Leeds' premier comedy venue (as opposed to what you might think about the antics inside the Civic Hall...)?
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell