Famous Comedian's to play Leeds

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
anthonydna

Post by anthonydna »

I saw Lee Evans support Jack Dee at the Varieties. I think he also supported Jo Brand there too. Frank Skinner did a Leeds spin on his act at the Varieties, I cant give you the full version but it was his impression of Leonard Cohen shouting "Lower your elasticated Loons..."Vic Reeves at Leeds Poly, Peter Kay at the Irish Pub next to the Vic, Charlie Chuck at numerous places, and probably the best Ted Chippington at the Duchess.    

Stanksman

Post by Stanksman »

I was extremely fortunate to see Spike Milligan at the Leeds Grand Theatre. Once in 1972 with my Dad and then again in 1974. He was brilliant.

Stanksman

Post by Stanksman »

I also manage to see the Monty Python team at the Grand I think that was 1974 as well.

alanlad

Post by alanlad »

I was fortunate to meet Tommy Cooper when he was appearing at Leeds Empire ( I think) in about 1957/8. He was real gentleman, as has been said, exactly on stage as he was in person.I also was in the company of George Formby at about the same time. He was in Brills, the gentlemens outfitters in Bond Street, Leeds. He was trying on a suit and Beryl, his wife, made a comment about the jacket. Whereupon George, quick as flash and in the broadest of Lancashire dialects retorted, "Eee lass, thee wear trousers, at least let me wear trousers!" And that is a genuine true story.
Don't count the days; make the days count!

Leeds Hippo

Post by Leeds Hippo »

alanlad wrote: I was fortunate to meet Tommy Cooper when he was appearing at Leeds Empire ( I think) in about 1957/8. He was real gentleman, as has been said, exactly on stage as he was in person.I also was in the company of George Formby at about the same time. He was in Brills, the gentlemens outfitters in Bond Street, Leeds. He was trying on a suit and Beryl, his wife, made a comment about the jacket. Whereupon George, quick as flash and in the broadest of Lancashire dialects retorted, "Eee lass, thee wear trousers, at least let me wear trousers!" And that is a genuine true story. Never knew George Formby was in Leeds - always been a fan.

Middleton Sheriff

Post by Middleton Sheriff »

I remember Ken Dodd doing his thing at The Grand as part of the show for the benefit of Sergeant John Speed's family.The act went on forever and Ken had to be dragged off the stage so everybody could get home at an unreasonable hour.

Richard A Thackeray

Post by Richard A Thackeray »

Although not of the same era as a lot of acts mentioned, I've seen Mike Harding at the Grand, and damned funny he was...... for a LancastrianMy father & I also saw 'Blaster Bates' at the City Varieties

Stanksman

Post by Stanksman »

RichT wrote: Although not of the same era as a lot of acts mentioned, I've seen Mike Harding at the Grand, and damned funny he was...... for a LancastrianMy father & I also saw 'Blaster Bates' at the City Varieties Was it the Red Specs tour, 1981? Brilliant that was, the curry routine he did, made me hurt with laughter.

Richard A Thackeray

Post by Richard A Thackeray »

Stanksman wrote: RichT wrote: Although not of the same era as a lot of acts mentioned, I've seen Mike Harding at the Grand, and damned funny he was...... for a LancastrianMy father & I also saw 'Blaster Bates' at the City Varieties Was it the Red Specs tour, 1981? Brilliant that was, the curry routine he did, made me hurt with laughter. No, it was a lot later than that, perhaps early-mid 90's

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

pashy2 wrote: As a nipper I saw Tommy Cooper at a Bradford Alhambra pantomime.One of his magic tricks was to produce a dove from a bundle of silk handkerchieves. As he held the bird quivering in front of him at arm's length he said "look at that, look at that"As soon as he got the audience to go "aw.... aw" in a sentimental way he accidently dropped the bird which nearly went through the stage floorboards.It was made of lead.Laugh--in nearly lost my malteezers.Andy Tommy Cooper was a legend! Here is a story that's attributable to him ,he was rumoured to be a bit "tight" with his money. As he alighted from a taxi the driver told him the fare.Tommy gave him his money exactly .He then reached over and put what the driver thought was a tip in his top jacket pocket saying"get youself a drink!" The driver put his hand in the pocket and pulled out a tea bag! The driver looked up and Tommy was gone!
ex-Armley lad