Famous Comedian's to play Leeds

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
anthonydna

Post by anthonydna »

Picking up on the Bill Hicks thread, ok ripping it off ! How many of the greats played Leeds. My Grandmother used to tell a story of how she was held up on Briggate while Laurel and Hardy came out of one of the theatres. She said Hardy was an ignorant pig ! It takes a lot to impress a Leeds lass!

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

I was taken to see Laurel & Hardy at Leeds Empire sometime in the late 40's/early 50's. I don't remember anything of the act. I seem to recall Harry Secombe, Roy Castle and Harry Worth all on the same bill at the Empire doing a marching routine that had the audience rolling in the aisles.
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

My dad impressed me when he said he saw Chico Marx at the Empire. I think it was mainly a piano act, and I think his tours were to fund gambling, but legend all the same....I've always generally had to travel to see comedians..........Once saw Bernie Winters shopping in Leeds, but the thread is comedians so....

Leeds Hippo

Post by Leeds Hippo »

The Parksider wrote: My dad impressed me when he said he saw Chico Marx at the Empire. I think it was mainly a piano act, and I think his tours were to fund gambling, but legend all the same....I've always generally had to travel to see comedians..........Once saw Bernie Winters shopping in Leeds, but the thread is comedians so.... Never realised any of the Marx brothers were in Leeds - thanks for the info!

jim

Post by jim »

I went to see Lonnie Donegan at the Empire and was very impressed by the compere's stand-up comedy routines - a very young Des O'Connor. A shame he started singing and wearing pullovers. However, I always enjoyed his routine reciting "The Green Eye of the Little Yellow God" with Jack Douglas supplying the hand/arm movements, it cracked me up every time I saw it.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Brian Clough ?
Industria Omnia Vincit

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Lots of info herehttp://www.leodis.net/playbills/default.asp

anthonydna

Post by anthonydna »

I cant find any reference to Tommy Cooper playing Leeds, but I'm sure someone will put me right !

Si

Post by Si »

I didn't see them perform, but I remember queuing outside WHSmith to get a signed copy of a Morecambe and Wise book in the early 70s. They were both very pleasant.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

anthonydna wrote: I cant find any reference to Tommy Cooper playing Leeds, but I'm sure someone will put me right ! 13/10/1958 The Empire for one, just do a search for act or actors namehttp://www.leodis.net/playbills/enlarge.asp?ri ... 6_40046328
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?