Halo...

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
NicolaP

Post by NicolaP »

To all you lovely people on Secret Leeds...I am currently doing some research on food and drink in Leeds, and with the strong links to the Band of Hope and also Tetley's, I am intrigued by the two different sides of Leeds past. Perhaps the most obvious meeting of these two ideas is in Halo Nightclub, formerly Trinity Congregational Chapel, Woodhouse Lane.Not much exists online about the former history of Halo. I have recently heard a rumour from a friend that the site was actually used as an illegal rave venue at some time before becoming a nightclub... Not that I suspect anyone here of attending any illegal event... but I would be fascinated to know if there are any recollections of it or anyone could substantiate this rumour.If you know anything about the history behind the club, or the church, I would be very interested to hear it!

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

As I have mentioned here before,my mother is 90 yrs old,probably one of few still alive who attended and signed 'The Pledge'See my thread 'Talking to mi mam'All being well I will be seeing her tomorrow so if you want to know anything not covered in that thread let me know,like me she works very cheaply.If you are based locally she might be able to pinpont some locations for you to explore.Band of Hope and Tetleys are really poles apart are they not ?
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

NicolaP

Post by NicolaP »

Thanks for that dogduke. I've already had a look at your thread. People like your mam are living treasures! To be honest, I'm really after stuff specifically linked to the Halo site specifically rather than the broader temperance movement, but am after anything from its life, not just in its current incarnation so if she can offer any wisdom on that, such as if the church there were involved in getting their congregation to jump on the temperance bandwagon, or if she attended any illegal raves, it would greatly be appreciated!    

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

There were a couple of 'illegal' raves held in The Library Pub on Headingley lane. This was before it was being used as a pub, 88/90 ish. I attended 2 there might havebeen more.
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

The Halo church was squatted for a while under the name Aspire. Enviro anarchist commune sort of thing. They threw a few parties IIRC.

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

Cardiarms wrote: The Halo church was squatted for a while under the name Aspire. Enviro anarchist commune sort of thing. They threw a few parties IIRC. Ah yes, I remember that now.
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

NicolaP

Post by NicolaP »

Thanks for the info, will see if that opens up any more avenues for me. It probably is the commune that my friend heard about...