lost pub !

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
angie1978

Post by angie1978 »

please help me , i am trying to find a pub for my husband , hes step dad made a bet with me that i couldnt find out the name of it on the net , and i said i cud , all i know is that it was up the road from the star and garter pub on kirkstall hill , leeds . thanks for reading , ........angie
@ngelap@rle

sundowner

Post by sundowner »

angie1978 wrote: please help me , i am trying to find a pub for my husband , hes step dad made a bet with me that i couldnt find out the name of it on the net , and i said i cud , all i know is that it was up the road from the star and garter pub on kirkstall hill , leeds . thanks for reading , ........angie Hi angie there was a pub on the right just after the lights it stood on a bit of an hill above the road.I think it was replaced by a supermarket it should not be too long before someone comes up with a name. All the best.

weenie

Post by weenie »

There was a pub called the Abbey Inn 18 Kirkstall Lane there is a pic on leodis too http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... 484439star and garter was actually on Bridge Road, across the Traffic lights is the start of Kirkstall Lane hope this is the one you are looking for

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

I agree - its the Abbey, a former Kirkstall/Duttons pub. I vaguely remember seeing it derelict IMSC, in the 70s. I believe there was a fire and it then stood derelict for some time before being demolished.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

Am I correct in thinking this is the current site of the centre which included KwikSave with the post office,library,bookies on the main road going uphill on the right?
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

weenie

Post by weenie »

yes going up the hill

liits

Post by liits »

From Leodis [but just noticed that weenie already linked the pic]
Attachments
__TFMF_egkt0sag1uzka1zsu3sdpnbj_ed62cdcc-94a2-40b6-96af-2429a4edc8c7_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_egkt0sag1uzka1zsu3sdpnbj_ed62cdcc-94a2-40b6-96af-2429a4edc8c7_0_main.jpg (38.8 KiB) Viewed 4361 times

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

I've had many a pleasant evening in "The Abbey" in the 1970s - it was a mature place with a quiet homely atmosphere, and represented a better time than the Hell Hole that just about replaced it - the "Kirkstall Lites."
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

BLAKEY wrote: I've had many a pleasant evening in "The Abbey" in the 1970s - it was a mature place with a quiet homely atmosphere, and represented a better time than the Hell Hole that just about replaced it - the "Kirkstall Lites." I must have driven past this pub hundreds of times but I can't remember seeing it! Must be getting old!
ex-Armley lad

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

stutterdog wrote: [I must have driven past this pub hundreds of times but I can't remember seeing it! Must be getting old! Oh your not on your own there Sir - I don't suppose I'd remember it if I hadn't lived nearby and been an occasional patron - plus from my own point of view it does appear on many a vintage transport picture of the area.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.