Unknown/Hidden Gems

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Isn't the upstairs greasy spoon down the back of the City Varieties still going?

weenie

Post by weenie »

yes if you go downstairs to the restraunt part they do stella and other beers/wine and its waiter service too downstairs

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

purplezulu wrote: Olympic - thats the one. I did not know that about the beer! Thanks Weenie You learn so much on this site - I feel like a tourist in me own city Have a look here and see what you rememberhttp://www.secretleeds.co.uk/forum/Messages.as ... ighLight=1

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Cardiarms wrote: When i look at the old photos on Leodis i can't help feeling it was a more interesting place. I don't think the demise of quirky independence is restricted to Leeds, the country is full of identikit town centres, high streets and shopping malls; new development is governed by universal guidelines and regulations and people are scared of 'different'.My hidden gem - that Turkish place (effes?) down in Bishopgate. they do a grilled spicy sausage in a flat bread with salad and a pomegranite dressing (sounds weird tastes great), takeaway for about £3.50. Cheaper and better than a burger from BK. Have been meaning to try this place,must make the effort now.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

purplezulu

Post by purplezulu »

Cardiarms wrote: Isn't the upstairs greasy spoon down the back of the City Varieties still going? O I hope so! I'd forgotton about that one.Thanks Chameleon - I'll have a Shuftie at that thread - bet I'll find alsorts on it     Much later ... I did!! Jeans' cafe in the Merrion Center, used to spend all my Saturday Mornings in there, waiting for Scrumpies to open.The Aroma Cafe - used to go in there with me Gran.O the memories - I love this site         
Better a 'sinner' than a hypocrite

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

purplezulu wrote: Cardiarms wrote: Isn't the upstairs greasy spoon down the back of the City Varieties still going? O I hope so! I'd forgotton about that one.Thanks Chameleon - I'll have a Shuftie at that thread - bet I'll find alsorts on it     Much later ... I did!! Jeans' cafe in the Merrion Center, used to spend all my Saturday Mornings in there, waiting for Scrumpies to open.The Aroma Cafe - used to go in there with me Gran.O the memories - I love this site          All morning waiting for Scrumpies to open?Scrumpies,dont start me again.Did you go in the original?
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

anthonydna

Post by anthonydna »

The cafe on Fish Street," Strega"? still seems to be open. More of an Appetite and Toast guy myself now though, anything is better than the chains!    

purplezulu

Post by purplezulu »

cnosni wrote: All morning waiting for Scrumpies to open?Scrumpies,dont start me again.Did you go in the original? No - I only knew Scrumpies when it was behind the little black door opposite 'Hollywood Days and Nights' We used to sit in there sometimes and check out who was going in Scrumps.I can't class myself as a 'true' Scrumpies old timer, he he I was a reletive new-comer I started a thread on S.L. about Scrumpies the other day, I would welcome your opinion on it - if it's how you remember it. I dont know how to post links to threads tho. Quite chuffed that I worked out how to quote people in those little boxes - small steps
Better a 'sinner' than a hypocrite

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

purplezulu wrote: cnosni wrote: All morning waiting for Scrumpies to open?Scrumpies,dont start me again.Did you go in the original? No - I only knew Scrumpies when it was behind the little black door opposite 'Hollywood Days and Nights' We used to sit in there sometimes and check out who was going in Scrumps.I can't class myself as a 'true' Scrumpies old timer, he he I was a reletive new-comer I started a thread on S.L. about Scrumpies the other day, I would welcome your opinion on it - if it's how you remember it. I dont know how to post links to threads tho. Quite chuffed that I worked out how to quote people in those little boxes - small steps That was the original scrumpies,it moved (about 86/87) to the Corn Exchange following a mystery fire.It then moved to the library on Holbeck Bridge,next to the train depot.Thankfully it returned to its original venue,but competition from the Lizard Club started the demise.the music played in Sxcrumpies became less and less representative of the whole heavy rock spectrum.Moshers took over and though its almost possible to listen to a few tracks and then move on its impossible to listen to it all night.The Lizard Club,though it also played stuff by the Doors and other such bands,played a broader spectrum of what id term "quality/classic rock,thus splitting Scrumpies clientele,an dthus leading to its demise.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

franco wrote: Sadly i have to agree with weenie. Over the years our city has gradually lost much of its appealing quirkyness. The lack of dusty second hand bookshops. The death of the indipendent record outlet.Where are the greasy spoons? The tragic demise of my spiritual home the Tatler cinema club,and don't even get me going about the lost pubs. Now i know most of you will think i'm a moaning old sop trapped in a world of reminicence viewed through splintered rose tinted spectacles but in my opinion Leeds has lost much of what made it so special. The dark corners,the grimness and the foul air. The looming broodiness of the old city. This is true of course, sadly, but it's true everywhere.when you used to go to a town or city in another part of the country you really felt you were in adifferent place - shops and department stores with unfamiliar names,ditto pubs owned by local breweries with beer you'd never tasted before, buses a different colour etc etc - Now every high street is basically just a variation on the same theme.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.