Unknown/Hidden Gems

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

drapesy wrote: franco wrote: Sadly i have to agree with weenie. Over the years our city has gradually lost much of its appealing quirkyness. The lack of dusty second hand bookshops. The death of the indipendent record outlet.Where are the greasy spoons? The tragic demise of my spiritual home the Tatler cinema club,and don't even get me going about the lost pubs. Now i know most of you will think i'm a moaning old sop trapped in a world of reminicence viewed through splintered rose tinted spectacles but in my opinion Leeds has lost much of what made it so special. The dark corners,the grimness and the foul air. The looming broodiness of the old city. This is true of course, sadly, but it's true everywhere.when you used to go to a town or city in another part of the country you really felt you were in adifferent place - shops and department stores with unfamiliar names,ditto pubs owned by local breweries with beer you'd never tasted before, buses a different colour etc etc - Now every high street is basically just a variation on the same theme. How true - go to any town now and it's the same names along every high street with the same mediocre fare trucked in from a central distribution point, so you might as well stay at home
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

But then you wouldn't find some chestnuts in Leeds City Centre or a field full of shaggy ink cap mushrooms in Burley. I've got a favourite apple tree on a railway embankment but unfortunately after sever years of sole use it's been pillaged by others.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

The Tripe Shop!Can't stand the stuff but I'm proud we've got one in a weird way.What the hell is a savoury duck?

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Cardiarms wrote: The Tripe Shop!Can't stand the stuff but I'm proud we've got one in a weird way.What the hell is a savoury duck? Haven't seen those for years but remember (bought ready cooked) then being very tasty.Having looked for a recipe and thinking about the make-up, makes me wonder haow many things we enjoy - but might not touch if we knew what they were made of!1 lb. pig's liver2 medium onions4 oz. fat porkPinch of thymeGenerous 1/2 teaspoon powdered sagePinch of basilSalt and pepperPinch grated nutmeg1 eggBreadcrumbsPig's caul Slice the liver, onions and pork thinly. Put in a saucepan with the thyme, sage, basil, salt, pepper and nutmeg and barely cover with water.Simmer for 1/2 hour, then strain off the liquid and save for the gravy. Mince the contents of the stewpan finely. Add the beaten egg and sufficient breadcrumbs to make into a fairly firm mixture and mix thoroughly. Form into balls and enclose each one in a piece of caul. Place in baking tin, and add a little gravy. Bake at 400 until nicely browned. Serve with a good thickened gravy. If preferred, the mixture can be pressed into a well greased baking tin and marked into squares. Cover with caul and cut into squares after cooking.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Doesn't sound too bad, I might risk it. Thanks!

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

I am familiar with savoury duck but whatthe heck is pigs caul????
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

dogduke wrote: I am familiar with savoury duck but whatthe heck is pigs caul???? You probably don't want to know, but in a simiar vein to tripe!

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

It's the membrane that holds you guts in.

Bert

Post by Bert »

Si wrote: Right on the edge of Leeds, I know, but when I was a kid my favourite place was "t'valley", the area on the nearside of Pudsey Beck, opposite Black Carr Woods, near Smalewell railway tunnel. Nowadays, it's very overgrown, probably because kids don't go chumpin' down there anymore, but in the 60s a whole bunch of us (aged about 4 to 10) spent hours "laikin'" down there - messing about, tadpoling and paddling in the (polluted!) beck. As teenagers, my brother and I kept our motorbikes in the garage behind The Fox and Grapes, and would practice our trials skills going up and down the "black-track." Great memories. Si's description fits to a T another " 't valley " - one where I spent most of my childhood by going down 't ginnell at 't bottom o' Poole Square in Crossgates. We did all 't same things there, plus making great underground dens by cutting up turf, digging a huge hole, fixing a network of branches over it, and then covering it with soil and the turf again to make it invisible apart from the step down into it. Better not tell you what we got up to inside. Slightly more embarrassingly now, we also spent days on end just sitting on the railway fence there underlining in our train spotting books the numbers of the trains that went by, with the occasional 'streak' as a real special thrill.

purplezulu

Post by purplezulu »

O my cousen used to live in Poole square and we used to spend hours down 't valley We once found one of those dens and hid in it. Then paniced in case the kids whose den it was came back and 'knacked' us ha haWe once went down onto the lines collecting bricks for me uncles wall he was building, he'd have gone mad if he knew where we got em from. You don't think when you're a kid.    
Better a 'sinner' than a hypocrite