Cinderella Rockerfella's

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
Andy C

Post by Andy C »

My girlfriend's parents met at Cinderalla Rockerfella's in the mid 1970s. We'd love to find out more about the place. Where was it? What was it like? Does any one have any pictures or memories to share?

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

The place is mentioned a couple of times if you do a search.Here: http://www.secretleeds.com/forum/Messag ... dID=641and here:http://secretleeds.com/forum/Messages.a ... Message=25

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

I got thrown down the stairs by a bouncer. Well, we had sneaked our own cider from the Ale House in. It was a bit of a pit by then (mid 80's).

whippetgirl

Post by whippetgirl »

Andy C wrote: My girlfriend's parents met at Cinderalla Rockerfella's in the mid 1970s. We'd love to find out more about the place. Where was it? What was it like? Does any one have any pictures or memories to share? My mid-70's memories of Cinderella Rockerfellas are:- Rockerfellas being for the 'more sophisticated' (ie Leeds United footballers, lads who kept a tie on, anyone who fancied themselves as being good looking, a few dodgy gangster types and drinks with fancy names like pina colada and tequila sunrise. Soooo classy! Think the dj was called Garth (??). Cinders was more about hen parties, lads who took their tie off once they got inside, dancing round your handbag, hoping to get a smoochy dance to "When will I see you again" and trying to get thru the inter-connecting door into Rockerfellas without the bouncers turning you back cos you weren't old enough! Think it was 18 and over for Cinders and 21 and over next door!
jjjjj

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

aaah yes, the, erm..... memories I think the earlier threads Geordie flags up are worth another read

Phil W

Post by Phil W »

I remember the neon signs outside had a teenage couple jiving for Cinderella,s,and for Rockerfellas a guy with top hat and tails with lady in evening dress,It was locatated in the Merrion centre if my memory is correct,It was owned by Peter Stringfellow who then started the Stringfellow clubs,In Rockerfellas they had waitresses in bunny style outfits without the ears,The marketing was brill,I remember going there with a couple and he never got out much,He was drinking like a fish just so he could order another round,As the girls would come round to the front of the table and bend over to put the drinks down and give you a show off there threepenny bits,I could was a great place for mid twenties guys as you could go into Cinders and pull a young girl and then bring her back to Rockerfellas but the young lads could not come in,It was a big move up from the my early days with Jimmy Saville and the Mecca,Sorry no photos of the place we only had a brownie box camera in them days,not the thing you would take on a night on the town.    

biofichompinc

Post by biofichompinc »

Only signed up recently so resurrecting this thread to ask if anyone else was at Cinderella's one Saturday night in the seventies - it must have been either '74 or '75 - when Peter Stringfellow interrupted the DJ, jumped on stage and said an old friend of his had turned up and agreed to an impromptu performance.We were then treated to around fifteen or twenty minutes of Chris Farlowe belting out some old standards including 'Out of Time' and the Beatles song 'Got to get you into my Life'.Chris looked a few pounds overweight and had apparently spent sometime in whatever passed for the 'Green Room' in Cinderella's.Nevertheless, it was an unexpected enjoyable surprise and made for a memorable evening. It was anyway as it must have been just about the only Saturday we ever visited the place. I was there with my young lady who is now Mrs salt 'n pepper, and another couple we used to knock about with. Saturday night was usually pub only, mostly the Little Londoner.We assumed at the time that Pete Stringfellow must have known Chris Farlowe from when he owned and ran the Mojo in his home town of Sheffield.

Cosmo Kramer

Post by Cosmo Kramer »

Cinderellas was my favorite nightspot in the 70s, I agree the waitresses were something else. They wore black leotards and seemed to be hand picked by Pete Stringfellow. I remember a blonde Danish waitress who I always use to ask for. Also a girl with short dark hair who looked like she had been poured into her uniform. I bumped into this girl one Saturday afternoon and helped her with the shopping [ carrying a lampstand ]The highlight of many Saturday nights at Cinders was Pete at around closing time offering a free bottle of bubbly for any girl who would remove items of clothing on stage. Of course all the girls were stunners and might not have been members of Joe Public.I also remember Paper Lace and Mud performing at Cinders and Mike and Bernie Winters at Rockerfellas . D.Js apart from Pete were Chris Crossley [ seen recently on Come dine with Me ] and a young guy called Dolly something or other. I think one of them went on to D.J. at The Pentagon [ bottom of Briggate ] and Chris went to Kikos at Pontefract.

PC - Dublin

Post by PC - Dublin »

I can remember well doing my appallingly bad wannabe John Travolta, Saturday Night Fever gyrations there 1977 (ish). Looking back on it now it was a bit of a contradiction given that I used also go to the concerts at Leeds University and Poly at the same time for a very different type of music!! (The Jam, Boomtown Rats, Ian Dury and the Blockheads). PC

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

PC - Dublin wrote: I can remember well doing my appallingly bad wannabe John Travolta, Saturday Night Fever gyrations there 1977 (ish). Looking back on it now it was a bit of a contradiction given that I used also go to the concerts at Leeds University and Poly at the same time for a very different type of music!! (The Jam, Boomtown Rats, Ian Dury and the Blockheads). PC I am surprised that such a quiet and polite gentleman such as yourself undertook the above activities,tut tut.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds contactinfo@secretleeds.com