Mecca Locarno Leeds (County Arcade)

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Would really like to hear from anyone who visited the Mecca Locarno from the tail end of the 50s and early 60s when Jimmy Savile was manager, or who have stories from that time. Have found bits and pieces but as a newcomer to this site would appreciate some guidance...Thanks!

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Danny D wrote: Would really like to hear from anyone who visited the Mecca Locarno from the tail end of the 50s and early 60s when Jimmy Savile was manager, or who have stories from that time. Have found bits and pieces but as a newcomer to this site would appreciate some guidance...Thanks! That would be County Arcade Danny, Use search and you should turn up numerous threads with info and stories about the Mecca. You'll need to be prepared to read though, some threads are quite lengthy.

Locarno Boy

Post by Locarno Boy »

chameleon wrote: Danny D wrote: Would really like to hear from anyone who visited the Mecca Locarno from the tail end of the 50s and early 60s when Jimmy Savile was manager, or who have stories from that time. Have found bits and pieces but as a newcomer to this site would appreciate some guidance...Thanks! That would be County Arcade Danny, Use search and you should turn up numerous threads with info and stories about the Mecca. You'll need to be prepared to read though, some threads are quite lengthy. I managed the Cats Whiskers in Leeds during the 70s and worked with Hawian Jim who worked as a doorman for JS. Jim and the team stood in reverence when JSs name was mentioned.Does anyone know when the Spinning Disc closed, and when it eventually burnt down?

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

This is an old thread about the Mecca if anyone wants a read:http://www.secretleeds.co.uk/forum/Mess ... ighLight=1

carith

Post by carith »

Don't know when exactly when the spinning disc closed but used to go there in the mid sixties. Think it burnt down around 1976-1977.

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

chameleon wrote: This is an old thread about the Mecca if anyone wants a read:http://www.secretleeds.co.uk/forum/Mess ... ighLight=1 You lot with mod powers - is it possible to merge threads where this sort of thing happens?    People doing a google would then find all the info in one place.

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

Geordie-exile wrote: chameleon wrote: This is an old thread about the Mecca if anyone wants a read:http://www.secretleeds.co.uk/forum/Mess ... ighLight=1 You lot with mod powers - is it possible to merge threads where this sort of thing happens?    People doing a google would then find all the info in one place. I've just checked and I can move, delete, close but not merge.
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Chrism wrote: Geordie-exile wrote: chameleon wrote: This is an old thread about the Mecca if anyone wants a read:http://www.secretleeds.co.uk/forum/Mess ... ighLight=1 You lot with mod powers - is it possible to merge threads where this sort of thing happens?    People doing a google would then find all the info in one place. I've just checked and I can move, delete, close but not merge. No, I thought we could but the system only lets you move to another forum not another thread which is a shame - confirmed with dsco. It's manually cut 'n paste or nowt!

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

I remember going to the Mecca in the mid sixties, we used to go on Friday nights. We would dance to records though not to live bands. Jimmy Saville was certainly long gone by then. To go to the "Spinning Disc" I think you had to join some sort of club, or pay a subscription. If memory serves, the Mecca wasn't licensed in those days. The abiding memory is that upstairs was a coffee bar, with cane chairs and cushions that when you sat on them sort of collapsed with a noise of expelling air.
Industria Omnia Vincit

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi Trojan,The Old Mecca was licensed in the 60's. There was a 'bar' called the Tudor Club which was situated upstairs behind a plain door in a corner. You had to be a member to go in and show a membership card. You also had to be 18.The cafe/coffee bar was situated on a level which was just a few steps down from the dance floor and there was open access to it from there. You are right about the bamboo furniture.Ian.