Sir John Betjeman on the Architecture of Leeds - First ever showing of 1968 documentary FREE at the Town Hall tonight.

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
munki

Post by munki »

The Leeds International Film Festival opening night of their Short Film City programme is on tonight at the Town Hall & is FREE.For SECRET LEEDSers out there, the night includes a rare treat - the first ever showing of a BBC documentary in which Sir John Betjeman visits Leeds to discuss its architectural heritage, and his feelings about new buildings such as the Merrion Centre. This film was never broadcast by the BBC so this is literally a chance to be one of the first to see it.8.15pm at the Town Hall - FREE.The official bumph - Short Film City Opening Gala with Sir John Betjeman on Leeds (free event)To celebrate the launch of the first Short Film City, the Film Festival presents a free opening night at the grand venue of Leeds Town Hall. Short Film City brings the best of world short filmmaking to Leeds and the Opening Gala reveals some of the highlights of the national and international competitions and special selections. Plus the first ever showing of Sir John Betjeman’s fascinating film about Leeds and its architecture, made for the BBC in the 1960s but never broadcast (screening supported by Leeds Civic Trust and Yorkshire Film Archive).
Attachments
__TFMF_gad21evgatlfzg555dqvn0vu_216807f4-8578-44b0-bc80-db82e9bcbd88_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_gad21evgatlfzg555dqvn0vu_216807f4-8578-44b0-bc80-db82e9bcbd88_0_main.jpg (47.95 KiB) Viewed 3921 times
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

Si

Post by Si »

Thanks Munki.This begs the question - why was it never shown?    

Loiner Paul

Post by Loiner Paul »

Do you think that someone might put this on a DVD for those of us who can't make it tonight and want to view this gem of a film in the years to come?

munki

Post by munki »

In answer to both your questions - I DON'T KNOW! I think the film belongs to the Yorkshire Film Archive so we probably wouldn't be able to lend out a DVD. I will find out what the deal is.
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

Should be very interesting,thanks for this munki.How are you doing by the way mate?
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

The film is on "Inside Out" at 7-30 pm tonight.
Industria Omnia Vincit

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

Could someone please copy this on dvd for me, I will pay ALL costs. I'm in the Midlands and we don't get this down here, also we don't have Sky only cable.Many thanks in advance.
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

Chrism wrote: Could someone please copy this on dvd for me, I will pay ALL costs. I'm in the Midlands and we don't get this down here, also we don't have Sky only cable.Many thanks in advance. Can you not watch it on BBCi player chris?
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

I've no idea, I'd really like it to keep aswell. I'll have a scan later.
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

slw

Post by slw »

Chrism wrote: Could someone please copy this on dvd for me, I will pay ALL costs. I'm in the Midlands and we don't get this down here, also we don't have Sky only cable.Many thanks in advance. You can watch it online http://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/