The Leeds Mod & Soul scene in the 60s

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
uPod

Post by uPod »

[quotenick="Michael_G"] tilly wrote: I do hope the poster who mentioned me comes back.I've actually been on the site a few times, but this gave me the incentive to join. Hi MikeThis uPod aka Phil Sharp. I guess I should have put that in the text.I am presently in France with my wife in Bordeaux, but I also have a place in Bournemouth where I keep my Vespa. I'll attach another photo later.I think we all used to go to Shipley to get the mohair for the suits, but I had forgotten that. There were not many tailors selling it. I worked in the Middle East for many years and this Chinese tailor used to come round flogging made to measure suits. He eventual made 3 for me all in mohair which was great for the climate.I stayed with Steve Hodge in Brighton on 18th Aug on my way down here and we shared a few good memories over a 'couple' of drinks. Of course the BG came up and all the names and I mentioned this site to him. He may actually join in but apparently he's not a great fan of social media.Strange you should mention tinitus, I have it too !!Hope to meet up some day .Best wishes
Attachments
IMG_0405.JPG
IMG_0405.JPG (0 Bytes) Viewed 14064 times
Please don't fart before my wife. Sorry I didn't know it was her turn.

uPod

Post by uPod »

The Vespa Sprint 1968 model with me and my granddaughter, Erin.
Attachments
IMG_0451.jpg
IMG_0451.jpg (1.02 MiB) Viewed 14064 times

uPod

Post by uPod »

The Vespa Sprint 1968 model with me and my granddaughter, Erin.
Attachments
IMG_0451.jpg
IMG_0451.jpg (1.02 MiB) Viewed 14064 times

uPod

Post by uPod »

Not sure why that came up twice. Perhaps a moderator can remove one for me please.Thanks

Michael_G

Post by Michael_G »

uPod wrote: ...Hi MikeThis uPod aka Phil Sharp. I guess I should have put that in the text.I am presently in France with my wife in Bordeaux...Best wishes Oh wow. But I'm confused (a frequent state of play for me) :-( The post said.. "Some names I remember, Mick Gallagher, whose father was i believe chief constable of Leeds (!), Paul and Peter Condras, Tora Gill, Steve Hodgkinson, me, Phil Sharp, Russell Wagstaff, Loraine from Harrogate, Pat Johnson Frank Richardson and his fiesty girlfriend"So I read it as there was Steve (did he work at Scottish Widows?), you, Phil Sharp, Russell etc etc.So the you was someone else. But you're Phil Sharp? The name I remember, but faces I'm not brilliant at. Did I look at all familiar? A few more years, and some of this stuff is 50 years ago!! Unbelievable. What's really coincidental is we're just back from the Dordogne and have just booked a little cottage nr St Emilion for next year! This is Helen and DD at a nice little Bordeaux eaterie on the Place Saint-Projet.
Attachments
DSC_1816 (800x533).jpg
DSC_1816 (800x533).jpg (131.31 KiB) Viewed 14066 times

Michael_G

Post by Michael_G »

And Helen and me....
Attachments
DSC_1885 (800x533).jpg
DSC_1885 (800x533).jpg (95.86 KiB) Viewed 14066 times

Michael_G

Post by Michael_G »

And our Grandaughter Megan, with her younger brother Joe just in shot. If I turned up on the scoot they'd usually run away LOL.
Attachments
DSC_1124 (800x533).jpg
DSC_1124 (800x533).jpg (77.04 KiB) Viewed 14068 times

Michael_G

Post by Michael_G »

Between helen and I, we have 3 daughters, 1 in NYC who's a Literary Agent, 1 in London who teaches, and the middle one with Meg and Joe is a nurse in Leeds.One father's day recently, the eldest sent me a M51 parka, complete with little holes which I think (imagine LOL) might have been Korean bullet holes!Aside from the Leeds places this thread has mentioned, I remember lads talking about Lens in Shipley and have their panels chromed. At the time I'm not even sure I really knew where lens was. Bizarrely, we now live near and regularly drive past where I've since been told it was.On suits, I remember buying cloth at Economic in the market, then taking them to George somewhere up by the Merrion I think.A few years back there was a reunion and I met Paul and Tora. Happy days, eh? Do you have any pics from the 60's? I've got very few, and those will be in a box somewhere. Exactly where, I've no idea.This has brought back some great memories, and the coincidences are amazing too.Best regardsMike (Mick back in the day)

uPod

Post by uPod »

Michael_G wrote: uPod wrote: ...Hi MikeThis uPod aka Phil Sharp. I guess I should have put that in the text.I am presently in France with my wife in Bordeaux...Best wishes Oh wow. But I'm confused (a frequent state of play for me) :-( The post said.. "Some names I remember, Mick Gallagher, whose father was i believe chief constable of Leeds (!), Paul and Peter Condras, Tora Gill, Steve Hodgkinson, me, Phil Sharp, Russell Wagstaff, Loraine from Harrogate, Pat Johnson Frank Richardson and his fiesty girlfriend"So I read it as there was Steve (did he work at Scottish Widows?), you, Phil Sharp, Russell etc etc.So the you was someone else. But you're Phil Sharp? The name I remember, but faces I'm not brilliant at. Did I look at all familiar? A few more years, and some of this stuff is 50 years ago!! Unbelievable. What's really coincidental is we're just back from the Dordogne and have just booked a little cottage nr St Emilion for next year! This is Helen and DD at a nice little Bordeaux eaterie on the Place Saint-Projet. Sorry Mike, I was writing as though I was speaking so I wrote "... me , Phil Sharp..." meaning me i.e. PS etc. Oh well , glad this is not a grammar test.It is just so incredible that you saw my post. I just emailed Steve to tell him, and yes he did work at Scottish Widows, before going into computer services.I recognise the restaurant in Bordeaux, just off the rue Ste Catherine, although we have not eaten there.Just for your it is still warm although we keep having showers. ;-)

Michael_G

Post by Michael_G »

My fault. I always was too literal ;-)Yes, Helen works in the village and comes home for lunch (I'm long since retired) and couldn't believe I get a feed of a video on FB and within about 2 minutes I'm reading something mentioning me from someone who I knew nearly 50 years ago, and just a few days ago. It's unbelievable.I hope Steve comes on or someone else mentioned who has some pics from back in the day. If I find any I'll come back and post them.Last two years we've camped by the Dordogne, in Beynac. 2013 was red hot but last month very mixed. We've decided we (that is, me) are too old now to be camping so we're selling our stuff and will look to safaris, gites etc in future. Crossing and cottage booked for next year. I like to have a plan.If you're on FB the Mike Gallagher with this header is me. The main pic is Chateau Beynac and the canoeing is us on La Dordogne.
Attachments
Untitled (800x331).jpg
Untitled (800x331).jpg (78.46 KiB) Viewed 14072 times