The Leeds Mod & Soul scene in the 60s

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
evets tnalp

Post by evets tnalp »

Excelent and well remebered Julienem time blurred a few names together I guess the 'conc' was probabaly the one I was thinking ofthough not as said a usual haunt in fact think I went in once to discuss an issue with someone who had started a problem at a dance at some club up in the Merrion Centre. Young lads and testosterone don't you just love em !

geoffb

Post by geoffb »

Wasn't Lulus cafe on Basinghall St. Now that pace housed some lads who thought they were something. I remember having a run in with them at a house party, they started some trouble and were "ejected" then came back with about 30 helpers. Mayhem all over Scothall Road for about 2 hours.

evets tnalp

Post by evets tnalp »

Ah another cafe name which appears to ring bells. Yes not sure where everyone has this concept of the sixties being quite a lot of love and peace - though it certainly was vibrant if you dived in and gave it your best.

caralyn

Post by caralyn »

nelly1951 wrote: I'm looking for info or pix on a couple of places, the Bee Gee Club and a coffee bar called the Concadora (not sure if that's the right spelling). I used to go to the Bee Gee Club and the coffee bar with my mates. We also used to go to a bar called the Ioanus (again not sure if this is right spelling, probably not) I'm ssure it was down some steps between what is now Flares and the Scarborough Taps in the city centre. Thanks for any info anyone might have. Cheers. The Conca d'ora was run by two lovely Italian sisters, Filomena and Ada, who conjured fabulous food for some of those homesick off-duty waiters that julianem remembers 'thrashing' on the football tables at the Del Rio. Somebody else has mentioned that the Del Rio basement coffee bar was run by a Greek family, Dino Daggi and Mama, and there was a French girl - Chantelle? But there was also a Del Rio restaurant on the ground floor, run by an Italian Dino for a while who used to make proper pizza. These were astonishingly international places. In-time and the Phonograph were the places to go for late night mingling. There was another one called Nouveau, (I think) where they put out little bits of free bread so that they could sell booze under a restaurant licence. But the Blue Gardenia was THE best blues / soul venue. Leeds was full of music: the University and Tech had brilliant bands; the Queens Hall did all-nighters with the likes of Pink Floyd and Cream on the same bill. The Arcade Mecca was open at lunch time! Fantastic for truants ...I was a wayward 15 or 16 year old doing all this, and I never remember being refused entry or drink from a bar.And after all this, you could still get a night bus to somewhere nearish to home. I had a wonderful youth in Leeds.

thedoublehipclub

Post by thedoublehipclub »

Here's a great Yorkshire Television Documentary from 1968-69 featuring Leeds Mod Soul band The Outer Limits, with some interviews with local Mod types. Anyone know the club they are playing in?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avRnFgF4-8M

thedoublehipclub

Post by thedoublehipclub »

A quick notice to you on here that the legendary Zoot Money is coming to play Leeds next Friday at the wonderful Brudenell Social CLub. Hope you don't mind me posting this on here but I'm sure a few of you would appreciate it. I've put on the likes of Georgie Fame, The Zombies and The Pretty Things here and they've all been great nights so here's hoping for another good one for Zoot! Did anyone see him in Leeds in the 60s and if so where/when?http://www.brudenellsocialclub.co.uk/wh ... oot-money/
Attachments
Zoot Money PIC.jpg
Zoot Money PIC.jpg (1.51 MiB) Viewed 15686 times

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

thedoublehipclub wrote: Here's a great Yorkshire Television Documentary from 1968-69 featuring Leeds Mod Soul band The Outer Limits, with some interviews with local Mod types. Anyone know the club they are playing in?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avRnFgF4-8M That's the Intime Club in the Merrion Centre isn't it?

Steve266

Post by Steve266 »

I think you'll find the Del Rio was Spanish owned clues in the name
life is not a dress rehearsal

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

thedoublehipclub wrote: Here's a great Yorkshire Television Documentary from 1968-69 featuring Leeds Mod Soul band The Outer Limits, with some interviews with local Mod types. Anyone know the club they are playing in?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avRnFgF4-8M Don't know the club but the following year Jeff Christie left the band wrote and recorded "Yellow River". I worked wth Jeff at the Modern Floorcovering Co. opposite the Slaughter house next to the Bus Station. we used to go for a couple of pints each lunchtime in the Palace pub. he used to bring his guitar and strum away and sing to himself. I thought his voice was awful , shows what i knew.

uPod

Post by uPod »

[quotenick="sundowner"] rylo wrote: the legendary Bee Gee club in White Horse Yard I also frequented the BG and was part of the scooter crowd. Mine was a white Vespa SS180 bought from the dealer [name?] on Lower Briggate. There was maybe a dozen of us all around 17-19 and the favourite seats were those in the corner next to the bar. on the left. We would meet on Saturday afternoon and generally hang out deciding where to go that night, if there wasn't anything on at the BG itself.Some names I remember, Mick Gallagher, whose father was i believe chief constable of Leeds (!), Paul and Peter Condras, Tora Gill, Steve Hodgkinson, me, Phil Sharp, Russell Wagstaff, Loraine from Harrogate, Pat Johnson Frank Richardson and his fiesty girlfriend.There was a period when we all had to have a tailor made mohair suits from a tailor who worked from a small workshop next to the Old Royal Oak in Kirkgate. Your hair had to styled by Daz who was based in Gt George Street opposite the Dental School.Apart from the other clubs mentioned we went to a small basement venue on Bishopgate Street called the Ioanas [spelling?] where we dance to the likes of Desmond Decker - "Isrealites" "Working in a coal mine", "Al Capone" by Prince Buster [http://youtu.be/DDfvXrMnJu0].And it would not be complete if I did not mention us all going to dance the night away with Geno Washington and his Ram Jam Band somewhere north of Tadcaster on the York Road.How could we be bored in those days.
Please don't fart before my wife. Sorry I didn't know it was her turn.