The Leeds Mod & Soul scene in the 60s

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
rylo

Post by rylo »

I am new to this site, coming across it while googling the legendary Bee Gee club in White Horse Yard. Although I lived the other side of Wakefield, Leeds was the place that we young Mods went to. The Bee Gee was the first place we frequented around '65 but only being 15 we had to go to the early session before the all nighters. I recall there being a hardboard DJ booth and a tiny stage, where the all nighter acts, such as the Steam Packet would be setting up. We also went to the `New ` Mecca in the Merrion Centre on Mondays and the Spinning Disc on Fridays. (When I reached 18 I was allowed in the Key Hole Club upstairs!!). We also went to a the New Marquee club and Hernies. The older in-crowd used to go to the In-Time.As far as clothes were concerned, we'd get shoes from Character Shoes on the Briggate? or Ravel in Nottingham. There was a good place for western wear opp the Spinning Disc, also in another arcade opposite, Bunnies Boutique, also Cecil Gee, Lewis' plus various other little boutiques and tailors.Record buying was from a stall in the indoor market, Kennedy's, Valances plus Wood's in Bradford and other places but it is all so long ago now!Finally, also around '65 we would get a Leeds United supporter's coach whenever Leeds were playing in London, leaving Calls Lane at midnight, we'd do Carnaby Street, Kings Road and an early session at Tiles club before catching the return bus at midnight.They were great days, I went on to the Twisted Wheel when I was 18 where there was a small contigent from Leeds.

sundowner

Post by sundowner »

rylo wrote: I am new to this site, coming across it while googling the legendary Bee Gee club in White Horse Yard. Although I lived the other side of Wakefield, Leeds was the place that we young Mods went to. The Bee Gee was the first place we frequented around '65 but only being 15 we had to go to the early session before the all nighters. I recall there being a hardboard DJ booth and a tiny stage, where the all nighter acts, such as the Steam Packet would be setting up. We also went to the `New ` Mecca in the Merrion Centre on Mondays and the Spinning Disc on Fridays. (When I reached 18 I was allowed in the Key Hole Club upstairs!!). We also went to a the New Marquee club and Hernies. The older in-crowd used to go to the In-Time.As far as clothes were concerned, we'd get shoes from Character Shoes on the Briggate? or Ravel in Nottingham. There was a good place for western wear opp the Spinning Disc, also in another arcade opposite, Bunnies Boutique, also Cecil Gee, Lewis' plus various other little boutiques and tailors.Record buying was from a stall in the indoor market, Kennedy's, Valances plus Wood's in Bradford and other places but it is all so long ago now!Finally, also around '65 we would get a Leeds United supporter's coach whenever Leeds were playing in London, leaving Calls Lane at midnight, we'd do Carnaby Street, Kings Road and an early session at Tiles club before catching the return bus at midnight.They were great days, I went on to the Twisted Wheel when I was 18 where there was a small contigent from Leeds. Hi rylo have a look at the thread lost night clubs of Leeds might be of interest to you.    

rylo

Post by rylo »

Thanks Sundowner, just had a browse thru', many of these places were after I moved away but still very interesting. I don't know if many folk from Leeds went elsewhere to clubs but here are a few in the area that I went to - Bradford, Hole in the Wall, String o' Beads & La Ambassador. Dewsbury, Earls Heaton Youth Club. Wakefield, Mecca, The Place, Smokey City, Chiroscuro. Castleford, Tin Chicken. Huddersfield, Lord Jim's. Doncaster, Attic. Sheffield, Mojo & Down (or On?) Broadway. Tadcaster, Boulevard.

sundowner

Post by sundowner »

rylo wrote: Thanks Sundowner, just had a browse thru', many of these places were after I moved away but still very interesting. I don't know if many folk from Leeds went elsewhere to clubs but here are a few in the area that I went to - Bradford, Hole in the Wall, String o' Beads & La Ambassador. Dewsbury, Earls Heaton Youth Club. Wakefield, Mecca, The Place, Smokey City, Chiroscuro. Castleford, Tin Chicken. Huddersfield, Lord Jim's. Doncaster, Attic. Sheffield, Mojo & Down (or On?) Broadway. Tadcaster, Boulevard. Hi again rylo i am sure you will get some feedback on this thread nice to have you join our motley crew. If they dont know the answers on here then it has not taken place yet.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

rylo wrote: Thanks Sundowner, just had a browse thru', many of these places were after I moved away but still very interesting. I don't know if many folk from Leeds went elsewhere to clubs but here are a few in the area that I went to - Bradford, Hole in the Wall, String o' Beads & La Ambassador. Dewsbury, Earls Heaton Youth Club. Wakefield, Mecca, The Place, Smokey City, Chiroscuro. Castleford, Tin Chicken. Huddersfield, Lord Jim's. Doncaster, Attic. Sheffield, Mojo & Down (or On?) Broadway. Tadcaster, Boulevard. Is that Chrioscuro in Alverthorpe? I seem to remember big soul/blues names appearing at the Peel on Boar Lane, and also at the Uni refectory.
Industria Omnia Vincit

rylo

Post by rylo »

Thanks for your welcome Sundowner and your post Trojan.Yes, the Chiroscuro was in Alverthorpe, a `general` disco. I forgot to mention Morley Town Hall, also around '66 and a `club` there called the Intro. We used to knock around with girls from Morley Grammar. After living in Manchester for a few years, I moved to the Burley Rd area for a year and went to the Intercon in Harrogate, York and Wakefield. I have recollections of a similar disco in the Merrion Centre, was that an Intercon?

Si

Post by Si »

Just out of interest, in about 1977, I did a college project on an old Victorian mansion on the Duchy Estate in Harrogate. The last resident had been the owner of the Intercon nightclub chain. During a Phill_d type investigation, I discovered that the derelict basement was done out as a disco, complete with cloakroom, bar and large red and yellow Intercon logo on the wall. The place was demolished shortly after. I think it was called Oakdale Manor, or something similar.Did anyone go there, or was it his private club?    

Misc

Post by Misc »

Don't suppose you've got any photos of that? It sounds brilliant! I'd also love to see any photos that rylo might have of his mod days.

Si

Post by Si »

It was an art college photographic project, so I took loads (B&W)and printed them myself. I produced a booklet about it, but unfortunately I've been looking for it for years! It's in the house somewhere - I'll start another search. Most of the pictures were of the house, but I did take some in the disco, although, if I remember rightly, they were a little under-exposed (no flash!) The building was completed in 1901, and was apparently modelled on Haddon Hall in Derbyshire, so the disco in the cellar was quite incongruous! The whole place was in a bad state of repair, with vandalism and water ingress. The lead had been taken from the roof, the leaded lights smashed, and the crenelated coping stones pushed off. I've just Googled Intercon, and found an Intercon Reunited site. It says that the actual nightclub was under that horrible tower block by Harrogate station, and a photo shows the DJ (owner?) in the club, with cave-like walls in the background. Didn't it become Annabella's in the mid 70s? I used to go there 77-78ish. Sorry - this isn't Leeds!!!    

sundowner

Post by sundowner »

Si wrote: It was an art college photographic project, so I took loads (B&W)and printed them myself. I produced a booklet about it, but unfortunately I've been looking for it for years! It's in the house somewhere - I'll start another search. Most of the pictures were of the house, but I did take some in the disco, although, if I remember rightly, they were a little under-exposed (no flash!) The building was completed in 1901, and was apparently modelled on Haddon Hall in Derbyshire, so the disco in the cellar was quite incongruous! The whole place was in a bad state of repair, with vandalism and water ingress. The lead had been taken from the roof, the leaded lights smashed, and the crenelated coping stones pushed off. I've just Googled Intercon, and found an Intercon Reunited site. It says that the actual nightclub was under that horrible tower block by Harrogate station, and a photo shows the DJ (owner?) in the club, with cave-like walls in the background. Didn't it become Annabella's in the mid 70s? I used to go there 77-78ish. Sorry - this isn't Leeds!!!     Hi Si Ishould think it would be impossible not to have spin offs. I for one enjoy reading the outcome keep up the good work.