The Leeds Mod & Soul scene in the 60s

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
jim

Post by jim »

Lower Briggate scooter/bike/motor bike dealer was Watson Cairns.

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi uPod,The A64 dance venue, that you referred to, was probably the Boulevard. Dancing also took place at the Buckles Inn (which is still there) and the Wild Man (possibly now an Aagrah restaurant).Ian

Dalehelms

Post by Dalehelms »

Welcome to Secret Leeds, uPod. I hope you enjoy browsing our quirky site.

uPod

Post by uPod »

jim wrote: Lower Briggate scooter/bike/motor bike dealer was Watson Cairns. Yes, Thanks for that Jim
Please don't fart before my wife. Sorry I didn't know it was her turn.

geoffb

Post by geoffb »

Hi Upod.The tailor was Arthur Littlewood, had a mohair suite made there in the 60s, a little guy who wore thick glasses, and smoked capstan full strength, he never took the cig out of his mouth even when measuring you. The suits always fit like a glove, 4 button jacket, deep vent and waistcoat with small lapels, I looked the dogs bxxxxcks, lol. We used to buy suite lengths from a mill in Shipley and had them made up at Arthurs. My scooter was a Lamberetta TV 175. happy days.

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

About that time I had a couple of suits made by Arthur, really nice jobs. the funny thing about him was as you say heavy glasses and a fag hanging out of his mouth. when I took my suit length in to him as I explained what I wanted he used to check out the jacket you were wearing, turning the lapel and examining the stitching

Michael_G

Post by Michael_G »

[quotenick="uPod"] sundowner wrote: rylo wrote: the legendary Bee Gee club in White Horse Yard I also frequented the BG and was part of the scooter crowd. Mine was a white Vespa SS180 bought from the dealer [name?] on Lower Briggate. There was maybe a dozen of us all around 17-19 and the favourite seats were those in the corner next to the bar. on the left. We would meet on Saturday afternoon and generally hang out deciding where to go that night, if there wasn't anything on at the BG itself.Some names I remember, Mick Gallagher, whose father was i believe chief constable of Leeds (!), Paul and Peter Condras, Tora Gill, Steve Hodgkinson, me, Phil Sharp, Russell Wagstaff, Loraine from Harrogate, Pat Johnson Frank Richardson and his fiesty girlfriend.There was a period when we all had to have a tailor made mohair suits from a tailor who worked from a small workshop next to the Old Royal Oak in Kirkgate. Your hair had to styled by Daz who was based in Gt George Street opposite the Dental School.Apart from the other clubs mentioned we went to a small basement venue on Bishopgate Street called the Ioanas [spelling?] where we dance to the likes of Desmond Decker - "Isrealites" "Working in a coal mine", "Al Capone" by Prince Buster [http://youtu.be/DDfvXrMnJu0].And it would not be complete if I did not mention us all going to dance the night away with Geno Washington and his Ram Jam Band somewhere north of Tadcaster on the York Road.How could we be bored in those days. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------This is unbelievable. I am *that* Mick Gallagher, although known for years now as "Mike".I get a FB feed from the Twisted Wheel and today's music track was The Capitols "Cool Jerk". It reminded me that the son (?) of the owner (?) of the Conc had a red MG TD/TF with a white roundel and Cool Jerk printed on it.Then I thought to Google the Conc to see if there was anything, and in short order I see this!It nearly gave me a funny turn ;-)Yes, my Dad was a copper, and actually retired from Chapeltown nick as Superintendent I/C. Always a bit ackward when I got back from the Wheel late on Sundays due to *ahem* dilated pupils ;-)I still have two Wheel cards, one signed by Geno Washington.For my sixtieth we had a mod themed party, and my kids bought me a Vespa LXV (kinda retro 60th anniversary model, a twisty, fortunately) on which I had some great fun before selling it back to the dealer. I'd had some health issues then and as I wasn't riding I lost my confidence a bit.Couple of pics here, if it works....All those names were friends, so the question is, who are you? Fess up!    
Attachments
Rosedale 021 med.jpg
Rosedale 021 med.jpg (173.6 KiB) Viewed 15192 times

Michael_G

Post by Michael_G »

[quotenick="Michael_G"] uPod wrote: sundowner wrote: rylo wrote: the legendary Bee Gee club in White Horse Yard I also frequented the BG and was part of the scooter crowd. Mine was a white Vespa SS180 bought from the dealer [name?] on Lower Briggate. There was maybe a dozen of us all around 17-19 and the favourite seats were those in the corner next to the bar. on the left. We would meet on Saturday afternoon and generally hang out deciding where to go that night, if there wasn't anything on at the BG itself.Some names I remember, Mick Gallagher, whose father was i believe chief constable of Leeds (!), Paul and Peter Condras, Tora Gill, Steve Hodgkinson, me, Phil Sharp, Russell Wagstaff, Loraine from Harrogate, Pat Johnson Frank Richardson and his fiesty girlfriend.There was a period when we all had to have a tailor made mohair suits from a tailor who worked from a small workshop next to the Old Royal Oak in Kirkgate. Your hair had to styled by Daz who was based in Gt George Street opposite the Dental School.Apart from the other clubs mentioned we went to a small basement venue on Bishopgate Street called the Ioanas [spelling?] where we dance to the likes of Desmond Decker - "Isrealites" "Working in a coal mine", "Al Capone" by Prince Buster [http://youtu.be/DDfvXrMnJu0].And it would not be complete if I did not mention us all going to dance the night away with Geno Washington and his Ram Jam Band somewhere north of Tadcaster on the York Road.How could we be bored in those days. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------This is unbelievable. I am *that* Mick Gallagher, although known for years now as "Mike".I get a FB feed from the Twisted Wheel and today's music track was The Capitols "Cool Jerk". It reminded me that the son (?) of the owner (?) of the Conc had a red MG TD/TF with a white roundel and Cool Jerk printed on it.Then I thought to Google the Conc to see if there was anything, and in short order I see this!It nearly gave me a funny turn ;-)Yes, my Dad was a copper, and actually retired from Chapeltown nick as Superintendent I/C. Always a bit ackward when I got back from the Wheel late on Sundays due to *ahem* dilated pupils ;-)I still have two Wheel cards, one signed by Geno Washington.For my sixtieth we had a mod themed party, and my kids bought me a Vespa LXV (kinda retro 60th anniversary model, a twisty, but still) on which I had some great fun before selling it back to the dealer. I'd had some health issues then and as I wasn't riding I lost my confidence a bit.Couple of pics here, if it works....All those names were friends, so the question is, who are you? Fess up! --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Ah, it dropped a pic, this is me ....
Attachments
Mike scan (539x800).jpg
Mike scan (539x800).jpg (87.18 KiB) Viewed 15192 times

tilly

Post by tilly »

Hi Mick welcome to SL i hope you catch up with some of your old friends.Sounds like you have some good tales to tell. I was more into motor bikes that would be late fifty's early sixties, it would take me all my time to get on a motor bike now never mind ride one.LOL.    
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Michael_G

Post by Michael_G »

tilly wrote: Hi Mick welcome to SL i hope you catch up with some of your old friends.Sounds like you have some good tales to tell. I was more into motor bikes that would be late fifty's early sixties, it would take me all my time to get on a motor bike now never mind ride one.LOL.     Thanks tilly. I'm still trying to get over doing a search on the old haunts, and finding a post in which I'm mentioned, posted just the other day. What are the chances?Leaving aside discussions on bikes and scoots, scooters had the advantage of being step-through. So even an old f*rt like me could manage it, although an ill-fitted helmet has left me with some tinnitus :-)Good fun pretending to be a little mod again running round Leeds, but I'm happier with 4 wheels these days. Just back from 2000 miles in France.I do hope the poster who mentioned me comes back.I've actually been on the site a few times, but this gave me the incentive to join.