The Leeds Mod & Soul scene in the 60s

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
Chrism

Post by Chrism »

yorkiesknob wrote: I was a " Soul Man " attending the Central in the late 60s.Still enjoying the music (Northern Soul). Often wondered when the name Northern Soul was first used. Dave Godin came up with the name in 1968.
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

julianem

Post by julianem »

Hi rylo, I see you mention the InTime in the Merrion Centre which I used to go to. Do you know anyone else who has mentioned it? It was pretty cool for Leeds and I think was owned by the late Jimmy Saville - now starring at the Queens Hotel apparently. JM

Soulite

Post by Soulite »

Hi from a newbie.I've just been searching for info on the Intercon Harrogate and see it has it's own website which appears to be dead.Someone mentioned having old pics of the Intercon. May i beg,steal or borrow any of these please.I was (still am) in love with Northern Soul and the odd bit of discomania from those wonderful days.ta very muchpeace out

evets tnalp

Post by evets tnalp »

The Bee Gee fill almost all my memories from the last quarter of the sixties. It was the base where periodic trips to Brid were decided upon. The aim there to initmidate Hull mods or simply ride a scooter through Woolies as Big Adrian did early one morning. The odd running battle with the Greeks who owned the coffee bar at top of Briggate or the odd group of late arrival Glaswegans ( the earlier group including George firmly embeded within the Bee Gee crowd). Towards the end there were various spats with members of Leeds Rugby team who shared evenings in the King Charles with us. Actually thinking back quite a few run ins for such a peace loving crowd. The music, the dancing, the odd trip to the Twisted Wheel on Saturday night and the absolute pleasure of being, without any shadow of doubt, a fully paid up member of the Leeds, hence Yorkshires, 'in crowd' - no forget it Wakefield, Sheffield , York and Hull you didn't even come close. xx

julianem

Post by julianem »

What was the name of the cafe up the side street just off Boar Lane at the City Square end? Was it up Lower Basinghall Street, or a similar street no longer there? It was partially underground with rooms full of football tables where you would be thrashed by the local waiters on their breaks. Very cool, very mod and the only place anyone who was anyone would meet in daylight Leeds.The Mocambo... Mariachi...Madagascar...El Morocco something on those lines.. Help!

evets tnalp

Post by evets tnalp »

Would that be the El Torro coffee bar top end on street on the left

julianem

Post by julianem »

Doesn't sound right. I am talking about 1968 here.

evets tnalp

Post by evets tnalp »

Ah just a thought. I was indeed looking at that period and memory after forty odd years or so gets a little thin, also to be frank my main locations for the last three or four years of the sixties was The King Charles ,Peel Hotel and Blue Gardinia( later changed to the Bee Gee). Anyway someone will no doubt remember. Indeed my sister might - will ask when I next see her

biofichompinc

Post by biofichompinc »

There were two coffee bars on the 'northern' side of Boar Lane during that period of time .The downstairs one mentioned above is the Del Rio. This was on the right hand side of Lower Basinghall Street as you walked up from Boar Lane.Upper Mill Hill was the next street - well, narrow thoroughfare really - along Boar Lane. Up there on the left hand side as you walked away from Boar Lane was La Conca D'Oro, or it might have been Le Conca D'Ora. In any case, everybody knew it as the 'Conc'. This one was at ground level, and was more of a 'mod' hangout than the Del Rio.Big Tony Hardcastle - mentioned in plenty of dispatches on Leodis and this site - was the 'door supervisor' at the Del Rio. Don't seem to remember that the Conc employed one.     

julianem

Post by julianem »

Yes it was the Del Rio. Thank you for that. A cup of hot froth and the way to sharpen up your dribble on the footie table where I learned how to hammer them in from the defence line against some local waiter. And having impressed the hot posh totty who used to gather there, the chance to chat some of them up later in the Intime. The evening usually ended up in the back seat of my dad's car somewhere off the A58.Ah the Del Rio.