curry houses

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

At the same time in Naffees one mate fell asleep in his curry and another was sick. I didn't go back for some time.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Cardiarms wrote: At the same time in Naffees one mate fell asleep in his curry and another was sick. I didn't go back for some time. Mike Harding used to do a routine about a curry house where the clientelle called the waiters by saying "Eyup Gunga Din" and used chappattis like Frisbees. It was based on fact - I actually wintessed similar scenes in the Omar Kyam near the Ice Rink in Bradford.
Industria Omnia Vincit

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

ceejaylufc wrote: What about the Karachi Sports and Social Club about 20 odd years ago in Bradford, best place for a cheap curry, no cutlery just chapattis, near the ice rink can't remember the street through Thats where i had my first curry.Youi would also only get a glass of water,no jugs.Its been downhill since then.Went to Mumtaz in Clarence Dock,excellent food,reasonable price,lavish setting.Dont go drunk
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Lilysmum wrote: When I first met my husband(30+years ago) he took me to The Kashmir in Bradford. It was down some steps on the same road as the city mortuary which was bad enough but once inside I was horrified (being a posh bird!) at the place.Formica tables,wonky chairs and a sink in the corner.I'd only ever had a Vesta curry before so just said I'd have whatever he was having and that was a mistake as I got a vindaloo! and spent the following day on the loo! Went there too,long time ago.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Loiner in Cyprus

Post by Loiner in Cyprus »

Used to go to Karachi's in Bradford in the 70's after a few jars of Tets. When the Chef left and opened Naseebs at Lidget Green started to go there instead. Still go there now when I'm back in the Leeds/Bradford area. Always go over the road first to the Oddfellows for a pint or two of Tets. There used to be some strange characters in there so tended to look at the optics whilst in there rather than look around. But for me, Naseebs is the best curry.

zip55

Post by zip55 »

I half remember going to one upstairs near the Precinct pub back in the mid 70's ... name anyone ?

Leeds-lad

Post by Leeds-lad »

Kohinoor used to be upstairs on Boar Lane pretty good place vyears ago.Sorry can't remember name you are after.It has been mentioned on here I'm sure.
"always expect the unexpected"

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Leeds-lad wrote: Kohinoor used to be upstairs on Boar Lane pretty good place vyears ago.Sorry can't remember name you are after.It has been mentioned on here I'm sure. The Koh i Noor was near The Peel. It was upstairs, but then so was the Ashoka Merrion Centre (next to the Bowl)We first started going to the Koh i Noor in 1970. I wouldn't go into a Chinese or Indian restaurant until about 1968. Then I was peruaded to try the Peony on Commercial Street - I had chicken curry and enjoyed it. On holiday in London a year later and looking for something different we tried an Indian on Edgeware Road, and we were sold. We scoured Leeds for Indians and came up with the Koh in Noor and Ashoka.
Industria Omnia Vincit

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

zip55 wrote: I half remember going to one upstairs near the Precinct pub back in the mid 70's ... name anyone ? If you mean Darbar,juust next to the Precinct pub,where you go up some stairs then its still there

zip55

Post by zip55 »

cnosni wrote: zip55 wrote: I half remember going to one upstairs near the Precinct pub back in the mid 70's ... name anyone ? If you mean Darbar,juust next to the Precinct pub,where you go up some stairs then its still there Thanks Cnosi, the main thing I remember about it was they charged me 10p for a glass of water ...