Musings 04 - The Perfect Leeds Friday Night Out

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
munki

Post by munki »

Dear All,Haven't been posting on here for a while, watching but not contributing!I have been doing a bit of research about Leeds which has been keeping me very busy, but which I would very much like your help with...My research is about the City Centre on a Friday night, how people percieve, how it is currently used, & how it might be better used in future.In the world of 'Strategic Plans' & 'Destination Marketing' Leeds is described as 'a 24 hour city, characterised by a vibrant nightlife & so much to see & do that a return visit will be a must'. However, it is acknowledged that this 'vibrant nightlife' has its drawbacks, & may not appeal to everyone. 'The market demand for these uses in some city centres has led to the perception that their capacty for evening activities has been reached or saturated & that the 'cumulative effect' of evening & night time uses is becoming detrimental to the quality of the customer, visitor & resident experience'. I would like to know what the good readers of Secret Leeds think about this. Is the night life 'vibrant' or 'detrimental' to the resident experience?I would very much like to hear your views on the following questions...
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

munki

Post by munki »

Question 1How often do you go out in Leeds on a Friday night?
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

munki

Post by munki »

Question 2What time do you go out? What time do you come home?

munki

Post by munki »

Question 3Where do you like to go throughout the night? If you have favourite bars / restaurants / clubs / venues please list them here.

munki

Post by munki »

Question 4What does Leeds City Centre currently not have, which you would like it to have?

munki

Post by munki »

Question 5On a PERFECT FRIDAY NIGHT OUT, where would you like to end up, & how would you like to feel?

munki

Post by munki »

...all answers will be anonymous, but contributions may form a part of the work that I am doing as part of 'Eggs, Flour, Milk, Cheese', a new exhibition by Black Dogs at 42 New Briggate, which opens tonight & runs until 27th June.
Attachments
__TFMF_tg1h5zjfpgcggg55czpgk455_45c58668-bc0a-431a-9acf-06f65adacb5e_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_tg1h5zjfpgcggg55czpgk455_45c58668-bc0a-431a-9acf-06f65adacb5e_0_main.jpg (123.61 KiB) Viewed 3384 times

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

munki wrote: Question 1How often do you go out in Leeds on a Friday night? Should have asked me this twenty years ago Munki,every Friday night without fail.Fatherhood takes away the opportunities for a Friday night in town.The current scene isnt to my particular taste,but then thats a generational thing rather than anything else.When i do go to town with friends its to the "Old lad " pubs,and so doesnt really fit in with the current Leeds scene im afraid.Personally i fell quite detached from the current scene of bars of the type found around the Calls etc,i prefer a decent pint,a good natter,a gig and a curry to finish the night off,oh and no queuing to get in a place,never have done and certainly not daft enough to do so now.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Fish and chips from the Art Deco place on Roundhay Road, or from Bretts, and a pint in the Palace. Pretty dull really, but that's what we usually do on a Friday - although not just in Leeds. We sometimes go to the best curry joint in the world - the Sheesh Mahal on Westgate in Bradford.
Industria Omnia Vincit

munki

Post by munki »

cnosni wrote: munki wrote: Question 1How often do you go out in Leeds on a Friday night? Should have asked me this twenty years ago Munki,every Friday night without fail.Fatherhood takes away the opportunities for a Friday night in town.The current scene isnt to my particular taste,but then thats a generational thing rather than anything else.When i do go to town with friends its to the "Old lad " pubs,and so doesnt really fit in with the current Leeds scene im afraid.Personally i fell quite detached from the current scene of bars of the type found around the Calls etc,i prefer a decent pint,a good natter,a gig and a curry to finish the night off,oh and no queuing to get in a place,never have done and certainly not daft enough to do so now. No need to apologise! I don't go out much on Friday nights either, or I get as close to town as the Pack Horse & then no further.