Mecca

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
ex mod!

Post by ex mod! »

Hi, really interesting comments about the "old mecca". I used to go in the late 60's-early 70's. The bar upstairs at that time was called the keyhole club, and yeah, you had to have an ID card to get in. They sold alcohol! in there, but the bar downstairs at the back of the dance fllor sold juice, coffee etc. I remember the DJ's at that time, Mick Sheard did upstairs, and I htink there was a Mick, Brett (who was gorgeous) downstairs. Does anybody remember them? They used to be bands on sometimes on a Wednesday, and Hallowein was always good, with frankenstein and the monsters playing. happy days.

FLOJO

Post by FLOJO »

ex mod! wrote: Hi, really interesting comments about the "old mecca". I used to go in the late 60's-early 70's. The bar upstairs at that time was called the keyhole club, and yeah, you had to have an ID card to get in. They sold alcohol! in there, but the bar downstairs at the back of the dance fllor sold juice, coffee etc. I remember the DJ's at that time, Mick Sheard did upstairs, and I htink there was a Mick, Brett (who was gorgeous) downstairs. Does anybody remember them? They used to be bands on sometimes on a Wednesday, and Hallowein was always good, with frankenstein and the monsters playing. happy days. Hi Nick I used to go to to the Mecca at the same time and to the keyhole club, Leeds united players at the time were always there Terry Yorath,Mick Bates, Gary Sprake etc,etc. I remember the two Micks we called one little Mick to be able to differ them,also the manager was Tony who was a real ladies man,He went on to be manager at Mecca in the Merrion centre.
Ex Leeds Lass

Leeds-lad

Post by Leeds-lad »

I never went to old Mecca,but used to like Mecca in Merrion Centre.I went in the early 70's plenty of dark corners upstairs where you normally got up to no good with a bit of fluff.A few of us used to go in Bus Uniform straight off a late shift.Can't remember the name of the female singer in the band who went on to join Brotherhood of Man I believe (stevens rings a bell)
"always expect the unexpected"

zip55

Post by zip55 »

Leeds-lad wrote: I never went to old Mecca,but used to like Mecca in Merrion Centre.I went in the early 70's plenty of dark corners upstairs where you normally got up to no good with a bit of fluff.A few of us used to go in Bus Uniform straight off a late shift.Can't remember the name of the female singer in the band who went on to join Brotherhood of Man I believe (stevens rings a bell) That would be Sandra Stevens ... born in Leeds.

loiner99

OLD MECCA

Post by loiner99 »

FLOJO wrote:ex mod! wrote: Hi, really interesting comments about the "old mecca". I used to go in the late 60's-early 70's. The bar upstairs at that time was called the keyhole club, and yeah, you had to have an ID card to get in. They sold alcohol! in there, but the bar downstairs at the back of the dance fllor sold juice, coffee etc. I remember the DJ's at that time, Mick Sheard did upstairs, and I htink there was a Mick, Brett (who was gorgeous) downstairs. Does anybody remember them? They used to be bands on sometimes on a Wednesday, and Hallowein was always good, with frankenstein and the monsters playing. happy days. Hi Nick I used to go to to the Mecca at the same time and to the keyhole club, Leeds united players at the time were always there Terry Yorath,Mick Bates, Gary Sprake etc,etc. I remember the two Micks we called one little Mick to be able to differ them,also the manager was Tony who was a real ladies man,He went on to be manager at Mecca in the Merrion centre.
Yes I remember,not yery clearly but. When I first started going the mgr was Wilf Preen who was followed by the one you describe As well as Brett and Mick there was Ric Vaughan (who worked in the music business as well) Do you remember Spotty Muldoon and ***** Kutz (cannot remember first name)
Many nights spent dancing around assorted bags and (if you were lucky) smooching to the slowie at the end. Then getting your coat and leaving between those large metal gates to go for the last bus or find your scooter amongst the many parked along Queen Victoria Street.
batchoy

Mimicat

Re: Mecca

Post by Mimicat »

Anyone know if there are any lists or records of the bands that used to play there, or where the best place to look would be? I'm trying to find a particular drummer that I know used to perform, but all I have is a name. Any advice would be great :)

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

You could try reading this topic on Leodis, some of the bands, over the years, are mentioned and also one or two of the ex-staff and Disk Jockeys. Unfortunately the people who could help you best, Jimmy Savile and his colleague Dennis Peace are no longer with us. I haven't checked, but I think that a relative of another manager, Wilf Preen, has also posted:

http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Off Topic but a Pal of mine Barry Hopper was a pro. Bass Player with a Band that used to play on the Mecca Circuit, they would play for perhaps a year or so in Leeds and then on the Sunday they would have to be at the Mecca Birmingham or possibly Doncaster. This was in the late 1950/60s when the Band on stage wore the same outfit usually where the Lapels was a different color to the rest of the suit. (Bill Haley Style) As there were about 8 o to 10 members in a Band there were just over that amount of Stage suits left in the Dressing room. As Barry's mate (The Piano Player) had an old car they would usually arrive before the rest of the Band. That would give them time to try on the various sizes of outfits. They could switch around the Jacket and pants until they were presentable. He said that on the Monday night some of the lads had sleeves not much past their elbows and others over their hands. ( Not unlike the Muppets Band )

Stanr189

Post by Stanr189 »

Anyone remember going to the old Mecca at lunchtime during 1965/68, also the time the Small Faces appeared at the Majestic. I spent many times in the old Mecca, la conca Dora, El Centrico (opposite Central Market pub). Really good times.

loiner99

Post by loiner99 »

Yes Stan many happy nights there. Don't remember El Centrico but do remember the BG (Blue Gardenia) sweating profusely down in the cellar Then rushing to catch the last bus home.
batchoy