lost bars of leeds city centre

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

townie wrote: Does anyone know what the bar that is on the front of the Merrion Centre, was called Edwards at one time, originally called? Before the glass frontage was put on. Also what was the late night curry house called near the market you went up a few flights of stairs and it was long and thin? HELP. Now the "Picture House" or something similar. I can't remembemberwhat it was before Edwards but I am pretty certain it wasn't a bar/pub. It has been extended in the refurb and think it was extended either during or just before it opened as Edwards.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

slw

Post by slw »

townie wrote: Does anyone know what the bar that is on the front of the Merrion Centre, was called Edwards at one time, originally called? Before the glass frontage was put on. Also what was the late night curry house called near the market you went up a few flights of stairs and it was long and thin? HELP. Was the curry house on Kirkgate (near where superdrug is now)?If so I hink it was called Darbar

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Didn't they do one of the first 'all you can eat' lunch time buffets?

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Maybe I need to visit the store indicated in this description http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... PLAY=FULLI can't quite see it myself but the store that is indicated as specsavers on here in 1991 was part of Edwards certainly within 8 years and probably well under that. Barclays has become Oceania (early noughties)
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Trojan wrote: There was one on Cookridge Street (?) iin the seventies called The Brahms and Liszt The Brahms and Liszt was in the basement of the building which then stood on the corner (I'm almost sure) of East Parade and St. Paul's Street. I'm still blushing from the exhibition I made in there one lunchtime. The bar had long tables (for approx seven or eight folks each side) and long bench seats to match - with legs set in perhaps a foot or more from the ends !!. I was with a few friends and had just sat down at the end of the bench with a full pint of something or other when another party at the opposite end of the bench all stood up to return to work - yes, you've guessed - rather like Gerard Hoffnung's Bricklayer Tale I was now heavier than the bench and began my journey to the floor while the vacant end rose in the air.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

leedslily

Post by leedslily »

townie wrote: Does anyone know what the bar that is on the front of the Merrion Centre, was called Edwards at one time, originally called? Before the glass frontage was put on. Also what was the late night curry house called near the market you went up a few flights of stairs and it was long and thin? HELP. There was an upstairs curry house called Drifters on Kirkgate near the market - used to go there after Scrumpies on Friday nights. :-)

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

BLAKEY wrote: Trojan wrote: There was one on Cookridge Street (?) iin the seventies called The Brahms and Liszt The Brahms and Liszt was in the basement of the building which then stood on the corner (I'm almost sure) of East Parade and St. Paul's Street. I'm still blushing from the exhibition I made in there one lunchtime. The bar had long tables (for approx seven or eight folks each side) and long bench seats to match - with legs set in perhaps a foot or more from the ends !!. I was with a few friends and had just sat down at the end of the bench with a full pint of something or other when another party at the opposite end of the bench all stood up to return to work - yes, you've guessed - rather like Gerard Hoffnung's Bricklayer Tale I was now heavier than the bench and began my journey to the floor while the vacant end rose in the air. Think you're correct. It was in Devereux House which was demolished to make way for the building where Zurich Insurance is now

townie

Post by townie »

leedslily wrote: townie wrote: Does anyone know what the bar that is on the front of the Merrion Centre, was called Edwards at one time, originally called? Before the glass frontage was put on. Also what was the late night curry house called near the market you went up a few flights of stairs and it was long and thin? HELP. There was an upstairs curry house called Drifters on Kirkgate near the market - used to go there after Scrumpies on Friday nights. :-) Brilliant. Thats the one. We had all our local pub trying to remember.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

townie wrote: leedslily wrote: townie wrote: Does anyone know what the bar that is on the front of the Merrion Centre, was called Edwards at one time, originally called? Before the glass frontage was put on. Also what was the late night curry house called near the market you went up a few flights of stairs and it was long and thin? HELP. There was an upstairs curry house called Drifters on Kirkgate near the market - used to go there after Scrumpies on Friday nights. :-) Brilliant. Thats the one. We had all our local pub trying to remember. Drifters was on New York Street in the 80's,don't know weather it was on Kirkgate before or after that .Or you might have confused the two streets

simong

Post by simong »

Re the talk of Len's bar earlier, would he be the Len who reopened on York Place last year, next door to Plush? It was a very nice place that he had, but he pretty much timed it wrong, opening just in time for the downturn to bite and lasting a bit more than a year.