lost bars of leeds city centre

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
kierentc

Post by kierentc »

following on from julesd's comment on the night club one, lolthere are too many to mention...but kicking off with my memories of the late 80sstart off at the bank, corner of park row/headrow, which was an oirish bar until a couple of years ago then down to the conservatory which is still there i thinkfollowed by the bond (vaguely under where new look is on albion street)and over the road to oscars, which may be still there as mixing tin?this was if were going to maddisons. if we were going to confettis it was in the other order, lolmy other fave was panama joes on wade lane, where i bought my very first alcoholic beverage, i was 13 and no way did i look it, but they had a reputation for letting anyone in. that had several reincarnations but has been empty for ages

David Raven

Post by David Raven »

Anyone remember a bar called 'Cullens' (sp?), on one of the streets off City square? It was one of those bars where you had to descend steps to get into a dodgy-looking (from the outside) basement. They had a loose dress code, I never saw any trouble, and it was such a friendly bar. Imagine if 'Cheers!' had been filmed in Leeds in 1987; that's what it was like! Loved it. Cheers!Dave
Northern Earth Walks

frisbee

Post by frisbee »

Yes, Cullen's was on York Place, I remember it well and had some great nights in there too.

frisbee

Post by frisbee »

edit

frisbee

Post by frisbee »

Anybody remember the old downstairs bar opposite the Town Hall where the Wildcats Lapdancing bar is. It was very rough, basically a bar in cellar with no attempt at decorations at all. I think it might have been called Hole in the Wall. It used to be one of the few places where you could get a drink after 11.00pm without paying an entrance fee.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

What about the near legendary "Stumps" under the library / art gallery? I've had some times in there I can tell you.Now it's another faceless winebar (LS1, I think).And the bar on the front of the Queen Hotel in the late 80's / early 90's? Not The News / Bondai Beach nightclub, but between there and the main hotel entrance. It was a bit down at heel and really didn't fit with the image of the hotel but it was right next to the bus stop (remember when buses stopped outside the Queens?) and did lager at 99p a pint, so it was the starting place of many a night out! I just can't remember the name.I think it became the Piano Bar later.What was the bar down the steps where the buses stop on the front of the Bond Street Centre - "O'Reilly's" was it? Probably about where the Birdcage is now Had a reputation for being a bit rough but we rarely saw any trouble and it was usually a good night.Harveys on Merrion Street with the (near lethal) spiral staircase and inimitable American manager Chuck Brogden. Another bar that is a lap dancing bar nowadays.And finally for now, Circus Circus opposite the Town Hall - never really a favourite in any of it's many incarnations. Think that is a lap dancing bar now as well.    
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

kierentc

Post by kierentc »

harveys, now how could i forget? with that moth eaten rabbit. i wonder if thats still in a cellar somewhere at blue coyote or whatever its called now?was circus circus once the boulevard? i remember that, with the guildford on the same road (now oxygen?) and i'm sure there was a third one too in that run...

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Ravey, Harlequins??Kierentc Quo Vadis?I was amazed to know 3 friends who frequented Harvey's (and Stumps for that matter) with me didn't realise that the White Rabbit at Harvey's was the Pooka (invisible rabbit) from the film starring James (Jimmy ) Stewart
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

kierentc

Post by kierentc »

tyke bhoy wrote: I was amazed to know 3 friends who frequented Harvey's (and Stumps for that matter) with me didn't realise that the White Rabbit at Harvey's was the Pooka (invisible rabbit) from the film starring James (Jimmy ) Stewart and you'll now be amazed that an internet weirdie aquetance (sorry i know thats spelt wrong) didn't know that either, loli thought quo vardis was/is greek street?

russ

Post by russ »

i remember the Bond very well i did prefer it before they refurbished it and put the bar area in the middle of the pub,and stumps that was a great pub as well like you say raveydavy they ripped the heart & soul out of the place when it was refurbished out and reopened up as Ls1 (totally killed the place for me) now circus circus was called The Boulavard before that was a great pub as well (only downside was the bar area i found very small and when it was busy it was a prat to get served LOL) an ex girlfriend worked in Circus Circus (after she left Yel Bar) i did up to very recently still have one of the Green T-shirts with the large clown face on the back and the company logo on the front that the bar staff used to wear.O'reillys was a rough & ready place still a great atmosphere though (was usually a starting point for us) i remember the doorman that worked there his name was Leroy (i think) a black guy with a bald head (he had a nasty temper but still a great bloke to chat to).O'reillys was the original Yates wine lodge well before the one opposite opened up.