lost bars of leeds city centre

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

kierentc wrote: i thought quo vardis was/is greek street? I think that's quid pro quo
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

kierentc

Post by kierentc »

tyke bhoy wrote: I think that's quid pro quo its all greek latin to me

LeeRatbag

Post by LeeRatbag »

raveydavey wrote: What about the near legendary "Stumps" under the library / art gallery? I've had some times in there I can tell you.Now it's another faceless winebar (LS1, I think). That place nearly lost me my first job. I used to work at Eagle Star Insurance over the road, and on my 18th birthday my department dragged me out there and poured copious Diamond White down my neck. Got back to the office absolutely bloody steaming and fell asleep in the bog. Luckily the head of the department didn't catch me, and the supervisor (who had been responsible for half the problem) sent me home...I chucked it in six months later anyway when they tried to make me get my hair cut.    

slw

Post by slw »

I used to like The Boulevard which was opposite(ish) Stumps. (It later became Circus Circus)

andyman

Post by andyman »

lost bars eh, well apart from the old traditional pubs, does anyone remember these?lens bar - was really cheap in here 75 p a pint in my day, i remeber it had big chesterfield sofas and loads of book on the wall. was down york placestock exchange - also down york place, think it was above what is now purple door (lap dancing club). this was fantastic through the week, at 7pm all spirits were 10p, then every hour they went up by 10p. it never got any more expensive than 50p a shot, bottle were allways 50p as well( this was only around 1997 as well).firehouse - opposite greek st until recently, was great in its day but trade really fell off towards the end, had many a free buffet in there.firefly - top of park row, not open long but a pretty cool placebrowns (the old one) - was also know as weatherspoons, zebra and cricket?. was nextdoor to the courtyard.rat and parrott - is now baja beach club opposite merrion centre, this was were i drank a pint of spirits for my 18th,( did a strip for everyone apparently, whilst stood on the table, but don't remember it)harveys - pretty rough place in its day, is now a lap dancing place

leedslily

Post by leedslily »

Back in the 70s, Viva's at the far end of York Place (I think it was next to Len's Bar, or maybe an earlier or later version of it - was owned by a bloke called Len if I remember rightly) - a tiny little place that had live local bands on nearly every night.I remember seeing bands like The Vye, Red Eye, Deadringer and Luigi ana da Boyz there - all classics at the time but mostly long gone now. It was a brilliant place for a wannabe rock chick, and probably explains a great deal about how the rest of my life has turned out :-)

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

There was a Parker's Wine Bar on York Place with Len's Bar further along.

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

tyke bhoy wrote: kierentc wrote: i thought quo vardis was/is greek street? I think that's quid pro quo ERGO BIBAMUS AMICUS!....OR IS THAT AMICAE?????
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

Leeds Lass

Post by Leeds Lass »

The Coburg, opposite the Morrisons side of the Merrion Centre! Never went in, just remember it as a kid. The Pig and Whistle was opposite too, 'underneath' the Merrion Centre. A lot of bikers went in there I think? Passed many a happy hour in Chaplins at the back of the Merrion Centre!!! I remember Confettis too and also when it changed to Ritzys. Eeh, happy days!!!

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

Leeds Lass wrote: The Coburg, opposite the Morrisons side of the Merrion Centre! Never went in, just remember it as a kid. The Pig and Whistle was opposite too, 'underneath' the Merrion Centre. A lot of bikers went in there I think? Passed many a happy hour in Chaplins at the back of the Merrion Centre!!! I remember Confettis too and also when it changed to Ritzys. Eeh, happy days!!! WE HAVE DONE ALL THESE ON THE LEEDS LOST PUBS THREAD....YOU HAVE AN EXCUSE...HAVING BEEN ABSCENT FOR SO LONG!! I HOPE YOU HAVE A NOTE FROM HOME!!!
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?