THINGS YOU DON'T SEE ANYMORE (Part 1)

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
Arry Awk

Post by Arry Awk »

tilly wrote: Hi Kango.Kango hammers what are they private joke LOL     Hi Tilly. As far as I remember they were a hand heldtool used for channeling out walls,plaster, etc. to facillitatelaying pipes and cables which would be covered over afterwards.They had other uses too,I think.(Type 'Kango Hammers' into the Google search box).Perhaps Kango can explain further when he logs on!

tilly

Post by tilly »

'Arry 'Awk wrote: tilly wrote: Hi Kango.Kango hammers what are they private joke LOL     Hi Tilly. As far as I remember they were a hand heldtool used for channeling out walls,plaster, etc. to facillitatelaying pipes and cables which would be covered over afterwards.They had other uses too,I think.(Type 'Kango Hammers' into the Google search box).Perhaps Kango can explain further when he logs on! Hi Arry Awk Thanks for that the joke was i used to work with Kango and yes i used to repair them.There was one type made only for British Rail for tamping the ballast around sleepers but thanks for the info you were spot on.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

kango

Post by kango »

I always thought You were more of a Wolf man Tilly!Another British company, with a depot on York Rd, alas long gone.    

tilly

Post by tilly »

kango wrote: I always thought You were more of a Wolf man Tilly!Another British company, with a depot on York Rd, alas long gone.     Its no wonder people cant get jobs most of the firms that were around in my day have gone and the skills have gone with them.I am glad i am not looking for work cant for the life of me think what i would be happy doing.    

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

tilly wrote: kango wrote: I always thought You were more of a Wolf man Tilly!Another British company, with a depot on York Rd, alas long gone.     Its no wonder people cant get jobs most of the firms that were around in my day have gone and the skills have gone with them.I am glad i am not looking for work cant for the life of me think what i would be happy doing.     One of the things that amazes me Tilly is when you see heavy engineering assembly shops on TV just how clean they are, absolutely spotless you could eat from the floor plus the almost total absence of personnel.
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

tilly

Post by tilly »

Johnny39 wrote: tilly wrote: kango wrote: I always thought You were more of a Wolf man Tilly!Another British company, with a depot on York Rd, alas long gone.     Its no wonder people cant get jobs most of the firms that were around in my day have gone and the skills have gone with them.I am glad i am not looking for work cant for the life of me think what i would be happy doing.     One of the things that amazes me Tilly is when you see heavy engineering assembly shops on TV just how clean they are, absolutely spotless you could eat from the floor plus the almost total absence of personnel. Hi Johnny39 You are so right all the engineering shops around Hunslet smelt of old oil and dirty rags. where skilled people worked with pride in what they made .

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

tilly wrote: Johnny39 wrote: tilly wrote: kango wrote: I always thought You were more of a Wolf man Tilly!Another British company, with a depot on York Rd, alas long gone.     Its no wonder people cant get jobs most of the firms that were around in my day have gone and the skills have gone with them.I am glad i am not looking for work cant for the life of me think what i would be happy doing.     One of the things that amazes me Tilly is when you see heavy engineering assembly shops on TV just how clean they are, absolutely spotless you could eat from the floor plus the almost total absence of personnel. Hi Johnny39 You are so right all the engineering shops around Hunslet smelt of old oil and dirty rags. where skilled people worked with pride in what they made . Could add that to the list of things you don't see anymore - men in oily boiler suits.

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

Johnny39 wrote: tilly wrote: Johnny39 wrote: tilly wrote: kango wrote: I always thought You were more of a Wolf man Tilly!Another British company, with a depot on York Rd, alas long gone.     Its no wonder people cant get jobs most of the firms that were around in my day have gone and the skills have gone with them.I am glad i am not looking for work cant for the life of me think what i would be happy doing.     One of the things that amazes me Tilly is when you see heavy engineering assembly shops on TV just how clean they are, absolutely spotless you could eat from the floor plus the almost total absence of personnel. Hi Johnny39 You are so right all the engineering shops around Hunslet smelt of old oil and dirty rags. where skilled people worked with pride in what they made . Could add that to the list of things you don't see anymore - men in oily boiler suits. I should have added wearing a jacket on top and waiting at a bus stop.

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

This thread has been split in two in the interests of user convenience and website performance. You can read Part Two here: http://www.secretleeds.com/forum/Messag ... eadID=4686
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

Leodian

Re:

Post by Leodian »

tilly wrote:Uno Hoo wrote: You're one of a diminishing breed, Tilly. On holiday in Girona last November I actually took a photograph of an elderly Spaniard who was smoking a pipe, because it's almost, these days, one of the things you don't see any more! Hi there Uno Hoo I never stick to one type i like to try differant blends i dont inhail its the taste i go for.Went to Lanzaroty at Christmas only 3.50 euros for fifty grams so got my stock in.Just a thought pipe smoking could come under Things You Dont See Any More im a liveing dinosaur famous at last.lol
I was quite surprised to see a pipe smoker when I was in the centre of Leeds yesterday (March 21 2016) and so thought of mentioning it in this thread but I then found that the topic of rarely seeing a pipe smoker nowadays has already been mentioned, but I thought I would still post anyway. Talking of smoking it will be very many years since I last saw (and smelled!) a cigar being smoked outside.

Edit immediately after posting. Ooops, I had not realised that I had posted to Part 1 of the 'Things you don't see anymore' thread. Sorry for that.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.