THINGS YOU DON'T SEE ANYMORE (Part 1)

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Si wrote: There is an old hedge alongside Sainsbury's in Otley which is chock full of birds' nests. The hedge follows the line of the medieval burgage plot boundaries, and is therefore several hundred years old. The blackbirds, sparrows and wrens are obviously a bit younger... That's very interesting Si in the hedge being "chock full of birds' nests". Clearly my experience of not seeing nests in hedges might be a local area thing, or perhaps there are still there but I'm just not observant. Maybe Otley is a more conducive area for small birds!
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Amusing tv adsPunjab Airways (Phileas Fogg crisps)http://youtu.be/zmKXC9CYZwU

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Jogon wrote: Amusing tv adsPunjab Airways (Phileas Fogg crisps)http://youtu.be/zmKXC9CYZwU That's a funny one. Not an advert but for those who've never seen it (and a viewing again for those who have) see this hilarious Hale & Pace 'Yorkshire Airlines' sketch:- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm6VC5gdaFA
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

majorhoundii

Post by majorhoundii »

Cardiarms wrote: Those glass tanks of orange juice at head height on cafe counters with the juice in perpetual motion.     I went to Cuba a few years ago and they had these tanks on the bars - but they were full of Pina Colada mixture - they'd just put rum and ice in a glass and top it up from one of these tanks.

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

majorhoundii wrote: 'Arry 'Awk wrote: grumpybloke wrote: Out of interest, just how old a fogey are you 'Arry? Hi. Thanks for the kind welcome everyone!GB- I don't mind admitting,'Im eighty three.Not getting any younger.Blakey lad. Thanks a lot. I'm finding it hard to be entertaining or informative these days! It's the weather tha knaws! Freezesthe brain cells a bit. Thank god for Bell's and Famous Grouse to helpthaw things out a bit!Tilly, thanks luv. Wonder what woke Wiggy up again? Thoughthe'd finally succumbed(eh?) to the Adnams Bitter!(That might roust him out again!).More later. Cheers,Arry Wow! I wondered what had happened to you! Pleased to hear from you!     Adnams indedd. You should know better 'arry. Hope everyone is okay. I been ill y'know ....peff peff...ahem ahem.    
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

[quotenick="Leodian]Not an advert but for those who've never seen it (and a viewing again for those who have) see this hilarious Hale & Pace 'Yorkshire Airlines' sketch:- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm6VC5gdaFAI love that little film Leodian - its a masterpiece. My favourite bit is where the bigger of the hostesses drops the pseudo charm and snaps at a boarding passenger "Wipe thy bloody feet !!"
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Arry Awk

Post by Arry Awk »

Si wrote: There is an old hedge alongside Sainsbury's in Otley which is chock full of birds' nests. The hedge follows the line of the medieval burgage plot boundaries, and is therefore several hundred years old. The blackbirds, sparrows and wrens are obviously a bit younger...PS Welcome back Wiggy and 'Arry. Nice to hear from you again. It would be nice to hear from Chameleon too.     Thanks Si. Re the hedge,It must be a couple of years since welast went to Otters. Must renew the pleasure as soon as the weather improves. Funny, I thought Sainsbury's spicy chicken wings were abit bony last time I had some! That Hedge must be a godsend!Is the Topiary 'Engine' hedge still in existence down nearTittybottle Park?Cheers,Arry

Arry Awk

Post by Arry Awk »

wiggy wrote: majorhoundii wrote: 'Arry 'Awk wrote: grumpybloke wrote: Out of interest, just how old a fogey are you 'Arry? Hi. Thanks for the kind welcome everyone!GB- I don't mind admitting,'Im eighty three.Not getting any younger.Blakey lad. Thanks a lot. I'm finding it hard to be entertaining or informative these days! It's the weather tha knaws! Freezesthe brain cells a bit. Thank god for Bell's and Famous Grouse to helpthaw things out a bit!Tilly, thanks luv. Wonder what woke Wiggy up again? Thoughthe'd finally succumbed(eh?) to the Adnams Bitter!(That might roust him out again!).More later. Cheers,Arry Wow! I wondered what had happened to you! Pleased to hear from you!     Adnams indedd. You should know better 'arry. Hope everyone is okay. I been ill y'know ....peff peff...ahem ahem.     Hope you are better now Wiggs lad .nothing too serious I hope?Not too bad here but there's now't to getting old!Time tha' shifted back to String o' Beads I think? TOWIS is a pack of lies!All the Best (Leeds Bitter!),Arry

Si

Post by Si »

'Arry 'Awk wrote: Is the Topiary 'Engine' hedge still in existence down nearTittybottle Park?Cheers,Arry Yes, it's still there 'Arry - as is the one on Crow Lane.

Arry Awk

Post by Arry Awk »

'Arry 'Awk wrote: wiggy wrote: majorhoundii wrote: 'Arry 'Awk wrote: grumpybloke wrote: Out of interest, just how old a fogey are you 'Arry? Hi. Thanks for the kind welcome everyone!GB- I don't mind admitting,'Im eighty three.Not getting any younger.Blakey lad. Thanks a lot. I'm finding it hard to be entertaining or informative these days! It's the weather tha knaws! Freezesthe brain cells a bit. Thank god for Bell's and Famous Grouse to helpthaw things out a bit!Tilly, thanks luv. Wonder what woke Wiggy up again? Thoughthe'd finally succumbed(eh?) to the Adnams Bitter!(That might roust him out again!).More later. Cheers,Arry Wow! I wondered what had happened to you! Pleased to hear from you!     Adnams indedd. You should know better 'arry. Hope everyone is okay. I been ill y'know ....peff peff...ahem ahem.     Hope you are better now Wiggs lad .nothing too serious I hope?Not too bad here but there's now't to getting old!Time tha' shifted back to String o' Beads I think? TOWIS is a pack of lies!All the Best (Leeds Bitter!),ArryWiggysorry that should have read TOWIE! (The only way is ESSEX!)Bet you think otherwise!lol