THINGS YOU DON'T SEE ANYMORE (Part 1)

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
liits

Re: THINGS YOU DON'T SEE ANYMORE (Part 1)

Post by liits »

Oddly enough, I'm the latest addition to this dwindling band. I've smoked roll-ups for years because I refuse to 1.stop smoking 2. pay ten quid for twenty cigs. The pipe "thing" seems like a natural progression although I still smoke rollies. The next progression is probably emulsioning the ceiling more often!

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Smoked since I was 8 years old, used to buy single Woodbines from the shop on Selby Road, although you could buy a packet of two.
Someone once gave me a full strength Capstan, god I thought my mouth had exploded. Had to stop 10 years ago now as they needed to replace a few pistons and pipes in the old ticker, still I have a nice zipper up the chest, its quite a showpiece.
I do miss it but the prices are stupid now. Never could get into the roll ups Liits, couldn't do them, its an art I believe.
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

liits

Post by liits »

buffaloskinner wrote:Never could get into the roll ups Liits, couldn't do them, its an art I believe.
Even at school, when the fashion moved on from smoking Rothmans Whizz-kids to roll-ups, I stick with the ready made ones because I couldn't roll. Many years later I did master it although, even after all this time, they still often look as though they've been rolled with an axe.
I'm finding the pipe thing a bit tricky and by the time I've finished faffing around I don't have the "urge" so I'm smoking a lot less. A good thing, I suppose, and better still because I don't have the guts to smoke it in public. That is a very Hipster thing to do and that's certainly not me!

dogduke

Re: Zubes

Post by dogduke »

dogduke wrote:ANDZubes are good for your tubes!
Alas,Zubes themselves. are no more.

Tried to find them on line,all entries Amazon/e.bay out if stock.

Emailed the makers,they are now "delisted" which means they don't make them anymore
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

tilly

Post by tilly »

I have smoked a pipe since the late sixties i like to smoke different flavours of pipe tobacco.I must have smoked hundreds of different types since i started .I also like a cigar i have never smoked a cig in my life.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Phenacetin (? spelling) for pain relief. That it no longer seems to be around (or at least advertised) came to my mind when I was earlier today taking an aspirin for a headache. I recall that phenacetin used to be heavily advertised as a pain relief medicine but that must be many years back now.
Last edited by Leodian on Sat 11 Aug, 2018 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

Apparently it was withdrawn because of possible side effects (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenacetin), and apparently its main use now is an illegal one, as a diluent for cocaine.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

chemimike wrote:Apparently it was withdrawn because of possible side effects (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenacetin), and apparently its main use now is an illegal one, as a diluent for cocaine.
Thanks for your help chemimike :).

The information brought up through the link was very interesting. I had assumed it may have been withdrawn because it was less effective than newer products.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

What about Carter's Little Liver Pills?
Had to be renamed decades ago because they did nothing for the liver. I seem to remember these had a blue dye added whch made going to the loo interesting.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

Collis Brown's compound (or mixture) was very good. Calmed upset stomachs' very well, but was withdrawn in its original recipe as it contains opium extract. Very effective though