THINGS YOU DON'T SEE ANYMORE (Part 1)

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
tilly

Re: THINGS YOU DON'T SEE ANYMORE (Part 1)

Post by tilly »

I should think thats the same for Cab Drivers Cough Mixture so strong you had to water it down.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

When I was a child up to around the mid 1950's a very occasional (? just Christmas) family treat was a bunch of dates packed extremely tight in a narrow oval shaped box about a foot or so long. It was a heck of a job to remove the very sticky dates to eat! I don't recall seeing dates sold in such boxes for a very long time so I wonder if they are no longer sold in that form? I seem to recall I did not like dates (I may never have had any since!).
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

The only dates I have ever tasted were those horrible things, and they put me off ever trying any ever again

tilly

Post by tilly »

Hi Leodian and chemimike Firstly the dates in the oval box are still sold but they are not good quality .Chemimike dont give up on dates there are dates and good dates the good dates are nothing like the cheap boxed ones, they are plump soft and sweet but i would not know were to get them.A friend brought me some back from Saudi you would not think they were the same fruit.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

tilly wrote:Hi Leodian and chemimike Firstly the dates in the oval box are still sold but they are not good quality .Chemimike dont give up on dates there are dates and good dates the good dates are nothing like the cheap boxed ones, they are plump soft and sweet but i would not know were to get them.A friend brought me some back from Saudi you would not think they were the same fruit.
You can definitely still buy them in the oval boxes. My local fruit and veg shop has them and so do some supermarkets.
Like your Saudi dates, bananas shipped to the UK don't taste as good as a fresh one bought from the plantation.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

I remember these horrors wheeled out every Christmas!!
Attachments
index.jpeg
index.jpeg (19.12 KiB) Viewed 8556 times

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

TABBYCAT wrote:I remember these horrors wheeled out every Christmas!!

Remember the plastic "stalk" down the centre of the box.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

harrym1byt

Post by harrym1byt »

Leodian wrote:When I was a child up to around the mid 1950's a very occasional (? just Christmas) family treat was a bunch of dates packed extremely tight in a narrow oval shaped box about a foot or so long. It was a heck of a job to remove the very sticky dates to eat! I don't recall seeing dates sold in such boxes for a very long time so I wonder if they are no longer sold in that form? I seem to recall I did not like dates (I may never have had any since!).
Our local fruit & veg shop had them in last month, £1 a box with a small plastic fork included. My father used to love them and I seem to remember I liked them too, when offered. I looked but wasn't keen to buy them last month. Same oval box, but the top was see through.