Family History in Leeds

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
Sapper

Post by Sapper »

Hi Tilly and Uncle Mick. Never posted before so apologies if my "posting manners" are not up to scratch. My Great Grand Father Harry Farnell was born at 28 Ashley Street in 1874. The family lived at the address during the 1870s and had 3 children that I know of there. they moved before 1881 to Broadbent Street in Bradford. Harry's mother was Matilda Harrison daughter of Christopher Harrison. she is listed on the census as being born in Hunslet. any info concerning the Farnell or Harrison families or Ashley St much appreciated.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Sapper wrote: Hi Tilly and Uncle Mick. Never posted before so apologies if my "posting manners" are not up to scratch. My Great Grand Father Harry Farnell was born at 28 Ashley Street in 1874. The family lived at the address during the 1870s and had 3 children that I know of there. they moved before 1881 to Broadbent Street in Bradford. Harry's mother was Matilda Harrison daughter of Christopher Harrison. she is listed on the census as being born in Hunslet. any info concerning the Farnell or Harrison families or Ashley St much appreciated. Hi Sapper and welcome, there is a pic of Ashley Street on Leodis but unfortunately it is Number 9 but it will give you a idea of the placehttp://www.leodis.org/display.aspx?resourceIde ... SPLAY=FULL

Caron

Post by Caron »

Stutterdog, it was uncle mick who left you the last message, not me, (all credit to uncle mick). I'm not clever enough to forward you such info! lol.Must say, if you do find out why he was made Freeman of the City then do let us know     

Sapper

Post by Sapper »

Hi Uncle Mick,Thanks for the link to No 9 Ashley Street. I had seen it recently but what a great picture. Apparently No 28 was at the other end of the Street from Pearson Street and was third to last on the right. When was Ashley Steet built do you know?RegardsSapper

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Sapper wrote: Hi Uncle Mick,Thanks for the link to No 9 Ashley Street. I had seen it recently but what a great picture. Apparently No 28 was at the other end of the Street from Pearson Street and was third to last on the right. When was Ashley Steet built do you know?RegardsSapper Don't know exactly, but it was there in 1851

Sapper

Post by Sapper »

Just visited the old-maps website and the 1850 Town Plans appear to show Ashley and the surrounding streets under construction. The scale is 1:1056 so is quite detailed and shows streets the other side of Pearson Street. Also a Pub called the Union Inn at the end of William Street. All interesting stuff!

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Don't know if you have seen this website but there is plenty of infohttp://www.hunslet.org/And the area you are interested inhttp://www.hunslet.org/Pottery_Field.html

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

stutterdog wrote: uncle mick wrote: stutterdog wrote: Caron wrote: Hi stutterdog. I went on "forces-war-records.co.uk/RAF" and put in Harry Weelands/WW2. It came up with H F WEELANDS. FLIGHT SERGEANT.1945. I think to find out more you have to join the site (and no doubt pay!). I'm not much good at this Family History and had a job locating someone in my family I realise it's Harry F and not Harry H but he's the only one listed so it could be him? Worth a look though and you may find something?(Then again, it may not be him....) Good Luck!     Hello Caron,,                Thanks very much for your efforts.I'm the same ,I'm not too good t this and I'm a bit reluctant to pay for information and find its not the right person.It could be that you are right with harry f but his correct 2nd initial is definitely H.I'm going up to Penrith in a week or 2 ,where his widow now lives and I'll see if she can tell me more about him. Although,she didn't know exactly what he had done to merit the Freedom. She's over 90 yrs old and her memory is not good! I am not been pedantic but If have the right man he seems to have been christened Henry, born 1917, married 1949??These little things make a difference when you are searching for someoneRegards Hello Caron, your not being pedantic at all.But that seems to be him.He married Iris Robertson. Sorry unle mick,been attributing your comments and help to caron. Must be me age!
ex-Armley lad

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Stutterdog. You might find some info through thishttp://www.dur.ac.uk/library/asc/collection_in ... ?collno=43

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

uncle mick wrote: Stutterdog. You might find some info through thishttp://www.dur.ac.uk/library/asc/collection_in ... ?collno=43 Thanks Uncle M. It would seem that I'll have to write to the Durham County records office.Thanks for your help so far. Much appreciated.
ex-Armley lad