Family History in Leeds

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

I just came across this site which might be of use for people looking for old reference books,looks to have some useful stuff in pdf format quite cheap:http://www.flatcapsandbonnets.com/Mid-W ... ks/726.htm
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Steve Jones wrote: I just came across this site which might be of use for people looking for old reference books,looks to have some useful stuff in pdf format quite cheap:http://www.flatcapsandbonnets.com/Mid-W ... ks/726.htm I've just looked at that website and the prices are amazingly cheap for the staggering amount that apparently is in a DVD (in pdf format). I cannot help therefore wondering if I'm misunderstanding what is actually in a DVD as it is not definitely clear and could be just a list of reference books, not their contents. Has anyone ever bought a DVD from that company and so would know what actually is in a DVD? If it is the books contents then I may order a 'Mid West Riding Of Yorkshire Leeds Bradford Wakefield PDF Books' and even other DVDs.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

Leodian wrote: Has anyone ever bought a DVD from that company and so would know what actually is in a DVD? If it is the books contents then I may order a 'Mid West Riding Of Yorkshire Leeds Bradford Wakefield PDF Books' and even other DVDs. it will be the complete contents of the books scanned in pdf format.The quality of the scan may be searchable using Adobe or not depending on quality.very good value for money.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Cheers Steve. It certainly does seem remarkably good value as some of the scanned books in a DVD are huge.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Tasa

Post by Tasa »

I've just ordered a copy. I'm particularly interested in the Annals of Yorkshire, the extracts from the Leeds Mercury and Intelligencer, Yorkshire Oddities and "Relics of Old Leeds" which I've borrowed from the library but would love my own copy!I did wonder if these books were already in the public domain and free to download from Google Book Search, but they don't seem to be, so this DVD is excellent value!The church records are of less use to me, but hopefully I can use them as a reference to help others on Secret Leeds PS: Forgot to add - thanks Steve, for putting the link on here!

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

Tasa wrote: PS: Forgot to add - thanks Steve, for putting the link on here! No problem,I have ordered 3 sets from them.I noticed all the Yorkshire sets include the 51 general books on Yorkshire, which includes a lot of gems including Mayalls "Annals of Yorkshire"which is a must have for anyone interested in Yorkshire history. In the section "About us" they explain that they source the best quality copies from public sites of out of copyright stuff; and that all books are searchable 'which is really useful.Considering other sites have individual books in these sets at well over £4.99, they are really good value.I already have some of the stuff on individual CD-rom but all on one DVD is well worth getting!

tilly

Post by tilly »

Thanks Steve just sent for the disc.PS I will bring that book for you tonight at the SL meeting The one i said you could have Celtic Sacred Landscapes by Nigel Pennick.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

tilly wrote: Thanks Steve just sent for the disc.PS I will bring that book for you tonight at the SL meeting The one i said you could have Celtic Sacred Landscapes by Nigel Pennick. Thanks,look forward to seeing you again.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Steve Jones wrote: Tasa wrote: PS: Forgot to add - thanks Steve, for putting the link on here! No problem,I have ordered 3 sets from them.I noticed all the Yorkshire sets include the 51 general books on Yorkshire, which includes a lot of gems including Mayalls "Annals of Yorkshire"which is a must have for anyone interested in Yorkshire history. In the section "About us" they explain that they source the best quality copies from public sites of out of copyright stuff; and that all books are searchable 'which is really useful.Considering other sites have individual books in these sets at well over £4.99, they are really good value.I already have some of the stuff on individual CD-rom but all on one DVD is well worth getting! Great find m'lud,will be ordering
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

LS1

Post by LS1 »

They guy will be having a field day, I ordered one too.