Family History in Leeds

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
Murn

Post by Murn »

Thanks for that liits. I am completely befuddled if Danby Court didn't exist in Leeds. That is definitely the address on the birth certificate. Yes Patrick Cronley is my Grandfather. For some reason he was raised in Scotland by the Smiths and didn't find out he was 'adopted' until he was in his twenties. All the information I have is by word of mouth and the birth cert and baptism cert. I know that when he found out he had a huge row with his adoptive parents and never spoke to them again. I don't know how he obtained the certificates, whether it was from the Smiths or not, and I can't figure out the connection to Leeds! Just one of the great mysteries of life I suppose!! And yes, I'm glad I came to SecretLeeds. Cheers,Murn

liits

Post by liits »

Hi Murn, a bit more for you. I’m pretty sure that this is the same Patrick Cronley – there can’t have been that many orphans with the same name. He appears in the 1911 census at the Cottage Home [an orphanage] 75 Duchess Road, Sheffield. I’m not sure but I think that this is one of the Fullwood Cottage Homes. I've no idea how there is a link with Leeds and his Baptism at St Ann's. The link, if it works, is a thread on Sheffield Forum [nothing at all like Secret Leeds] about children’s homes in the city.http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthr ... t=99300The photo below shows the location of where I think the premises were.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

liitsYou're great

Caron

Post by Caron »

Jogon wrote: liitsYou're great He sure is.

kais granny

Post by kais granny »

Do you have the full name of Patrick's mother and father or any more info. about them?According to the 1891 Census, Danby Court was in Central Leeds, Parish of St. Peter's, close to 93 Kirkgate. No.11 was occupied by Hannah Scruton and Charles H Leeming.In the 1901 Census, 11 Danby Court was occupied by Robert J. Leeming, Charles H. Leeming and Jane Gelling.Interestingly in 1901 Census there was a Patrick Cronnolly (shown as Patrick Cronley in 1891 Census) living in Sheffield and a Pat Cronley aged 22, born in Ireland, living in Bradford.Maybe there's some connection?

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

kai's granny wrote: Do you have the full name of Patrick's mother and father or any more info. about them?According to the 1891 Census, Danby Court was in Central Leeds, Parish of St. Peter's, close to 93 Kirkgate. No.11 was occupied by Hannah Scruton and Charles H Leeming.In the 1901 Census, 11 Danby Court was occupied by Robert J. Leeming, Charles H. Leeming and Jane Gelling.Interestingly in 1901 Census there was a Patrick Cronnolly (shown as Patrick Cronley in 1891 Census) living in Sheffield and a Pat Cronley aged 22, born in Ireland, living in Bradford.Maybe there's some connection? Given the huge number of mistakes with the transcription by English/British officials and lerks of irish surnames pronounced in an irish accent then i would not be surprised if there was a connection.BTWLiits,top man.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

liits

Post by liits »

Well done to Kai's Granny and so much for the trade directories, a little more scrutiny on my part would have turned up Danby Court straight away. Having gone back and looked a little closer at the Sheffield map/photo and the information from the Workhouse database, I'm now certain that I'm wrong about the location of the Duchess Road Cottage Home. As to the building I've higlighted, it certainly was a home, but a home for the elderly and was still in operation [run by nuns of the Little Sisters of the Poor order] until relatively recent years. It seems like the Fullwood Cottage Home may well have been set up in an ordinary type houses [this is borne out by information in the Workhouse Database and also by the fact that the 1911 census only records about five or six orphans / residents + a Matron at Duchess Road].The Workhouse Database which while it does show such homes, does not have a picture of the Duchess Road house itself.I hope that Murn hasn't stopped looking at the tread, especially as Kai's Granny has now answered the quetion that was asked in the first place.

Murn

Post by Murn »

Hello all you lovely people. My head is spinning and I am so grateful for all the help but will need time to try and figure out all the info and whether or not it relates to my Grandad. Will certainly get back to you all and let you know the outcome. Tonight is the first time I've been able to check in over the last few days and it is rather late but I will start in on it tomorrow. Once again thank you all so much for your efforts.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

These posts moved to the existing thread here covering this query:JenUser Location: Victoria, AustraliaJoined on: 17-May-2012 11:45:28Posted: 12 posts # Posted on: 08-Jun-2012 03:01:59.    Edit | Quote Hi All,I'm tracing my family of Beet and Holmes and a lot of certificates refer to West Gate Tickhill (1850's and 60's) can anyone point me in the direction of West Gate or sometimes West st or even West gate street.Photos or maps would be wonderful. Thanks for any help.Cheers,Jen     JogonUser Location: LawnswoodJoined on: 21-Dec-2011 17:58:33Posted: 1204 posts # Posted on: 08-Jun-2012 08:22:33.    Delete | Edit | Quote Hi JenThink you might need Tickhill, a small village to the east of Sheffield.http://goo.gl/maps/jMb3That is in S. Yorks about 50 miles from here and does have a Westgate.I ask the question because Leeds has a Westgate (the 'gate' bit was just the medieval boundary of the, then, smaller town). Are yours Leeds or Tickhill, or both?Hope this helpspsthere are some amazing 'family tree folks' on here but it is Leeds-centric.    Captain Oates was born Putney, Surrey, England. The Family lived at Gestingthorpe Hall, Essex. He later lived in London. Not Meanwood. Not Leeds. Top simongUser Location: Farsley, just off the roundaboutJoined on: 08-Sep-2007 10:47:44Posted: 492 posts # Posted on: 08-Jun-2012 09:36:58.    Delete | Edit | Quote Tickhill falls under Doncaster council so you could look at the local history department there. There also seems to be an active local history society in the town who might be able to help you. Top jdbytheseaUser Location: east yorks coastJoined on: 02-Apr-2011 10:44:50Posted: 181 posts # Posted on: 08-Jun-2012 13:23:06.    Delete | Edit | Quote Tickhill only just manages to be in Yorkshire. A few more miles and Fred Trueman might have been playing for Nottinghamshire !JD JogonUser Location: LawnswoodJoined on: 21-Dec-2011 17:58:33Posted: 1204 posts # Posted on: 08-Jun-2012 13:33:53.    Delete | Edit | Quote They made Lee Enfields at Maltby Captain Oates was born Putney, Surrey, England. The Family lived at Gestingthorpe Hall, Essex. He later lived in London. Not Meanwood. Not Leeds. Top simongUser Location: Farsley, just off the roundaboutJoined on: 08-Sep-2007 10:47:44Posted: 492 posts # Posted on: 08-Jun-2012 14:14:16.    Delete | Edit | Quote I grew up in Doncaster so I know the area. There is a place just south of Bawtry where four counties and I think five boroughs meet. It's all post-mining country too. Tickhill itself, and Hatfield just up the road are the posh bits of South Yorkshire (non-Sheffield). Duggie Brown and Paul Shane live around there. somme1916User Location: somewhere in't middle o' leeds/wakeyJoined on: 03-Mar-2012 00:09:53Posted: 257 posts # Posted on: 08-Jun-2012 21:13:50.    Delete | Edit | Quote simong wrote: I grew up in Doncaster so I know the area. There is a place just south of Bawtry where four counties and I think five boroughs meet. It's all post-mining country too. Tickhill itself, and Hatfield just up the road are the posh bits of South Yorkshire (non-Sheffield). Duggie Brown and Paul Shane live around there. Hi-de-Hi.....yes ! Harworth nearby too....some lovely countryside around there for sure,especially in the Maltby valley area.....catch it off the A1.....looks beautiful in early morning/evening sunshine.God's own country indeed......best county in't'country. JenUser Location: Victoria, AustraliaJoined on: 17-May-2012 11:45:28Posted: 12 posts # Posted on: 09-Jun-2012 04:28:49.    Delete | Edit | Quote somme1916 wrote: simong wrote: I grew up in Doncaster so I know the area. There is a place just south of Bawtry where four counties and I think five boroughs meet. It's all post-mining country too. Tickhill itself, and Hatfield just up the road are the posh bits of South Yorkshire (non-Sheffield). Duggie Brown and Paul Shane live around there. Hi-de-Hi.....yes ! Harworth nearby too....some lovely countryside around there for sure,especially in the Maltby valley area.....catch it off the A1.....looks beautiful in early morning/evening sunshine.God's own country indeed......best county in't'country. Thanks for the information, I didn't know it was so close to other counties.Cheers,Jen Top JenUser Location: Victoria, AustraliaJoined on: 17-May-2012 11:45:28Posted: 12 posts # Posted on: 09-Jun-2012 04:32:15.    Delete | Edit | Quote jdbythesea wrote: Tickhill only just manages to be in Yorkshire. A few more miles and Fred Trueman might have been playing for Nottinghamshire !JD Thanks JD I didn't know it was so far from Leeds.Cheers,Jen JenUser Location: Victoria, AustraliaJoined on: 17-May-2012 11:45:28Posted: 12 posts # Posted on: 09-Jun-2012 04:35:56.    Delete | Edit | Quote simong wrote: Tickhill falls under Doncaster council so you could look at the local history department there. There also seems to be an active local history society in the town who might be able to help you. This is one of the best sites I've found or should I say the people on here are so fantastically helpful. And I will join the historical group in Doncaster.Thanks,Cheers,Jen JenUser Location: Victoria, AustraliaJoined on: 17-May-2012 11:45:28Posted: 12 posts # Posted on: 09-Jun-2012 04:40:00.    Delete | Edit | Quote Jogon wrote: Hi JenThink you might need Tickhill, a small village to the east of Sheffield.http://goo.gl/maps/jMb3That is in S. Yorks about 50 miles from here and does have a Westgate.I ask the question because Leeds has a Westgate (the 'gate' bit was just the medieval boundary of the, then, smaller town). Are yours Leeds or Tickhill, or both?Hope this helpspsthere are some amazing 'family tree folks' on here but it is Leeds-centric.    Thanks,Some of the death certificates here in Aus claim Leeds to be the place of birth, but their earlier certs like marriage or birth of their children claim Tickhill and or Doncaster.Cheers,Jen simongUser Location: Farsley, just off the roundaboutJoined on: 08-Sep-2007 10:47:44Posted: 492 posts # Posted on: 09-Jun-2012 11:09:20.    Delete | Edit | Quote In that case, I would also look at Leeds. I can see your query on Genealogy.com about the Beets and that someone found that George lived in Hunslet for a while. That's not surprising as Leeds and Sheffield were certainly destinations for country dwellers in the 1860s and 70s as both cities were growing and pulling people in.In Ancestry.co.uk I can see the census record for 1871, and George Beet is listed as the brother in law of Robert Sarsby, living at 20 Derby Crescent, Hunslet. Someone else will have better knowledge of Hunslet in the 1870s, but there are pictures of Derby Crescent in the 1960s on leodis.org which show it as being an area scheduled for clearance. The Silver Cross pram factory was built there in the late 1870s. Top tuskeyUser Location: Joined on: 17-May-2011 13:20:57Posted: 12 posts # Posted on: 09-Jun-2012 11:14:18.    Delete | Edit | Quote somme1916 wrote: simong wrote: I grew up in Doncaster so I know the area. There is a place just south of Bawtry where four counties and I think five boroughs meet. It's all post-mining country too. Tickhill itself, and Hatfield just up the road are the posh bits of South Yorkshire (non-Sheffield). Duggie Brown and Paul Shane live around there. Hi-de-Hi.....yes ! Harworth nearby too....some lovely countryside around there for sure,especially in the Maltby valley area.....catch it off the A1.....looks beautiful in early morning/evening sunshine.God's own country indeed......best county in't'country. hi somme, my dad came from woodlands, and he had an army mate who lived in tickhill, many lovely memories of tickhill, lovely people who live there. b.littlejohn Top somme1916User Location: somewhere in't middle o' leeds/wakeyJoined on: 03-Mar-2012 00:09:53Posted: 257 posts # Posted on: 09-Jun-2012 17:41:41.    Delete | Edit | Quote tuskey wrote: somme1916 wrote: simong wrote: I grew up in Doncaster so I know the area. There is a place just south of Bawtry where four counties and I think five boroughs meet. It's all post-mining country too. Tickhill itself, and Hatfield just up the road are the posh bits of South Yorkshire (non-Sheffield). Duggie Brown and Paul Shane live around there. Hi-de-Hi.....yes ! Harworth nearby too....some lovely countryside around there for sure,especially in the Maltby valley area.....catch it off the A1.....looks beautiful in early morning/evening sunshine.God's own country indeed......best county in't'country. hi somme, my dad came from woodlands, and he had an army mate who lived in tickhill, many lovely memories of tickhill, lovely people who live there. Yes,I was quite lucky earlier in my work career that I could "discover" many hidden gems throughout Yorks(many others too).I used to visit the many collieries and stores in the line of my work and I often had time on my hands when the work was done.Either side of A19 was a favourite into Doncaster from the M62 and the M18,A1,A57 quadrant......lovely countryside,folk and villages.To the north and east of Leeds too,there are still unspoilt areas to enjoy.         

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

I'm hoping someone on SL can help. My wifes uncle died a couple of years ago.His name was Harry H Weelands.His Grandson was going through some old papers of his and found a certificate that stated that he had been made a Freeman of the City of Durham after the WW2 This honour was bestowed upon him for his service in the RAF towards the end of the War. Has anyone access to war service records and could obtain Harry's service record? It would be interesting to see what he had done.I understand he was stationed in Ceylon in those days.He was a very modest man and didn't even go to the ceremony to be presented with his certificate. Thanks in anticipation for any help on this subject.
ex-Armley lad