Family History in Leeds

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
tilly

Post by tilly »

Hi every one i have just had an e mail from someone in Kent.He got my e mail address from Leodis when i posted about my time in Ashley Street Hunslet He is trying to find out about is family who lived in Hunslet in the 1800 hundreds.His great grandfather was called Harry Farnell born 28 Ashley Street Hunslet he had an older brother George Thomas Farnell born 1872 and a younger brother Arthur born 1876.Their parents were Joseph Farnell born Southowram 1847 and Matilda Farnell nee Harrison born Hunslet 1847.His Greatgrandfather was baptised at St Judes Pottery Fields.I gave im info about Secret Leeds so if you get a post from him ignore my post thanks guys.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

tilly wrote: Hi every one i have just had an e mail from someone in Kent.He got my e mail address from Leodis when i posted about my time in Ashley Street Hunslet He is trying to find out about is family who lived in Hunslet in the 1800 hundreds.His great grandfather was called Harry Farnell born 28 Ashley Street Hunslet he had an older brother George Thomas Farnell born 1872 and a younger brother Arthur born 1876.Their parents were Joseph Farnell born Southowram 1847 and Matilda Farnell nee Harrison born Hunslet 1847.His Greatgrandfather was baptised at St Judes Pottery Fields.I gave im info about Secret Leeds so if you get a post from him ignore my post thanks guys. Hi tilly.Do you what they are looking for? I have found Harry living with his parents in Bradford in 1881

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

uncle mick wrote: tilly wrote: Hi every one i have just had an e mail from someone in Kent.He got my e mail address from Leodis when i posted about my time in Ashley Street Hunslet He is trying to find out about is family who lived in Hunslet in the 1800 hundreds.His great grandfather was called Harry Farnell born 28 Ashley Street Hunslet he had an older brother George Thomas Farnell born 1872 and a younger brother Arthur born 1876.Their parents were Joseph Farnell born Southowram 1847 and Matilda Farnell nee Harrison born Hunslet 1847.His Greatgrandfather was baptised at St Judes Pottery Fields.I gave im info about Secret Leeds so if you get a post from him ignore my post thanks guys. Hi tilly.Do you what they are looking for? I have found Harry living with his parents in Bradford in 1881 Attachment for the 1881 Census
Attachments
__TFMF_ngkvbf45ujxmb5554s1oo045_38dd8bb7-f2d2-4325-b5f3-6d06c24030ea_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_ngkvbf45ujxmb5554s1oo045_38dd8bb7-f2d2-4325-b5f3-6d06c24030ea_0_main.jpg (55.6 KiB) Viewed 3270 times

tilly

Post by tilly »

uncle mick wrote: tilly wrote: Hi every one i have just had an e mail from someone in Kent.He got my e mail address from Leodis when i posted about my time in Ashley Street Hunslet He is trying to find out about is family who lived in Hunslet in the 1800 hundreds.His great grandfather was called Harry Farnell born 28 Ashley Street Hunslet he had an older brother George Thomas Farnell born 1872 and a younger brother Arthur born 1876.Their parents were Joseph Farnell born Southowram 1847 and Matilda Farnell nee Harrison born Hunslet 1847.His Greatgrandfather was baptised at St Judes Pottery Fields.I gave im info about Secret Leeds so if you get a post from him ignore my post thanks guys. Hi tilly.Do you what they are looking for? I have found Harry living with his parents in Bradford in 1881 Hi uncle mick I will send him an e mail see if he will post on here thanks for your quick response.PS I have sent an e mail to him hope he responds once again thanks.    
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Caron

Post by Caron »

stutterdog wrote: I'm hoping someone on SL can help. My wifes uncle died a couple of years ago.His name was Harry H Weelands.His Grandson was going through some old papers of his and found a certificate that stated that he had been made a Freeman of the City of Durham after the WW2 This honour was bestowed upon him for his service in the RAF towards the end of the War. Has anyone access to war service records and could obtain Harry's service record? It would be interesting to see what he had done.I understand he was stationed in Ceylon in those days.He was a very modest man and didn't even go to the ceremony to be presented with his certificate. Thanks in anticipation for any help on this subject. Hi Stutterdog. I just wondered if you'd managed to find anything relating to Harry Weelands? Its hard work when you don't know where to start looking!

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

Caron wrote: stutterdog wrote: I'm hoping someone on SL can help. My wifes uncle died a couple of years ago.His name was Harry H Weelands.His Grandson was going through some old papers of his and found a certificate that stated that he had been made a Freeman of the City of Durham after the WW2 This honour was bestowed upon him for his service in the RAF towards the end of the War. Has anyone access to war service records and could obtain Harry's service record? It would be interesting to see what he had done.I understand he was stationed in Ceylon in those days.He was a very modest man and didn't even go to the ceremony to be presented with his certificate. Thanks in anticipation for any help on this subject. Hi Stutterdog. I just wondered if you'd managed to find anything relating to Harry Weelands? Its hard work when you don't know where to start looking! Hi Caron,thanks for getting back to me. Your the only one to show any interest. I've not been able to find anything about his war service.He was a flight-sergeant when he finished his service and I was just interested in finding out what he had done to merit being made a Freeman of the City of Durham after ww2. Thanks again. PS What further information would you need to find out a bit more about him?
ex-Armley lad

Caron

Post by Caron »

Hi stutterdog. I went on "forces-war-records.co.uk/RAF" and put in Harry Weelands/WW2. It came up with H F WEELANDS. FLIGHT SERGEANT.1945. I think to find out more you have to join the site (and no doubt pay!). I'm not much good at this Family History and had a job locating someone in my family I realise it's Harry F and not Harry H but he's the only one listed so it could be him? Worth a look though and you may find something?(Then again, it may not be him....) Good Luck!    

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

Caron wrote: Hi stutterdog. I went on "forces-war-records.co.uk/RAF" and put in Harry Weelands/WW2. It came up with H F WEELANDS. FLIGHT SERGEANT.1945. I think to find out more you have to join the site (and no doubt pay!). I'm not much good at this Family History and had a job locating someone in my family I realise it's Harry F and not Harry H but he's the only one listed so it could be him? Worth a look though and you may find something?(Then again, it may not be him....) Good Luck!     Hello Caron,,                Thanks very much for your efforts.I'm the same ,I'm not too good t this and I'm a bit reluctant to pay for information and find its not the right person.It could be that you are right with harry f but his correct 2nd initial is definitely H.I'm going up to Penrith in a week or 2 ,where his widow now lives and I'll see if she can tell me more about him. Although,she didn't know exactly what he had done to merit the Freedom. She's over 90 yrs old and her memory is not good!
ex-Armley lad

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

stutterdog wrote: Caron wrote: Hi stutterdog. I went on "forces-war-records.co.uk/RAF" and put in Harry Weelands/WW2. It came up with H F WEELANDS. FLIGHT SERGEANT.1945. I think to find out more you have to join the site (and no doubt pay!). I'm not much good at this Family History and had a job locating someone in my family I realise it's Harry F and not Harry H but he's the only one listed so it could be him? Worth a look though and you may find something?(Then again, it may not be him....) Good Luck!     Hello Caron,,                Thanks very much for your efforts.I'm the same ,I'm not too good t this and I'm a bit reluctant to pay for information and find its not the right person.It could be that you are right with harry f but his correct 2nd initial is definitely H.I'm going up to Penrith in a week or 2 ,where his widow now lives and I'll see if she can tell me more about him. Although,she didn't know exactly what he had done to merit the Freedom. She's over 90 yrs old and her memory is not good! I am not been pedantic but If have the right man he seems to have been christened Henry, born 1917, married 1949??These little things make a difference when you are searching for someoneRegards

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

uncle mick wrote: stutterdog wrote: Caron wrote: Hi stutterdog. I went on "forces-war-records.co.uk/RAF" and put in Harry Weelands/WW2. It came up with H F WEELANDS. FLIGHT SERGEANT.1945. I think to find out more you have to join the site (and no doubt pay!). I'm not much good at this Family History and had a job locating someone in my family I realise it's Harry F and not Harry H but he's the only one listed so it could be him? Worth a look though and you may find something?(Then again, it may not be him....) Good Luck!     Hello Caron,,                Thanks very much for your efforts.I'm the same ,I'm not too good t this and I'm a bit reluctant to pay for information and find its not the right person.It could be that you are right with harry f but his correct 2nd initial is definitely H.I'm going up to Penrith in a week or 2 ,where his widow now lives and I'll see if she can tell me more about him. Although,she didn't know exactly what he had done to merit the Freedom. She's over 90 yrs old and her memory is not good! I am not been pedantic but If have the right man he seems to have been christened Henry, born 1917, married 1949??These little things make a difference when you are searching for someoneRegards Hello Caron, your not being pedantic at all.But that seems to be him.He married Iris Robertson.
ex-Armley lad