Family History in Leeds

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
Tasa

Post by Tasa »

Mine has just arrived in the post - I only ordered it yesterday lunchtime!!I've had a quick skim through and the scanned books are excellent quality - what a bargain! For those of you who have also ordered copies, you will receive a code which will give you 15% off any future purchases.

Caron

Post by Caron »

Mine's on its way Brill find, thanks, Steve!

tilly

Post by tilly »

Have just got mine in the post this morning what a fantastic buy.It is worth every penny if you are in two minds to buy or not take my advice get it, For the amount of information it contains it is worth a lot more if you are into Local History its a must, if i bought the history of Pudsey it would cost me more than the price of this disc and that is only a small part of its content.PS I have nothing to do with the sale of this product but i know a bargain when i see one.    
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

I just got my collections through today.great stuff.i got the South West Yorkshire one with Barnsley,Doncaster,Sheffield etc.. and it also has some West riding stuff on it.i intend to get all the Yorkshire ones now as well as other areas that interest myself.I have just skimmed the extracts from Leeds Intelligencer file and already seen some fascinating stuff on riots in Holbeck in 1754 when a vicar tried to preach and had to call in the militia after which the church was broken into and various excrement smeared about!Want to know more know about that incident.The same book also mentions pressed soldiers being marched from Scotland to Leeds in 1757 to be garrisoned in Leeds as well as various recruitment adverts around that time.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

Just sent off for this:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/502-Books-on- ... a2dbb3aa3I have dealt with this guy before and bought stuff on Ireland and Devon off him.I did ask him to compile a Yorkshire set so am glad he took my advice.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

having received the excellent yorkshire history books DVd's in my previous post,I have now found that the same guy has just compiled this:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/95-Vintage-Ra ... _1328looks an interesting mix of stuff on leeds.i iwll send off for a copy as the books are not all on the Yorkshire set .

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

got the Leeds disc today.Very interesting stuff.I was just looking at a talk given in 1864 to Leeds Philosophical Society which is on it.it includes a mention of Thridwulfs monastery as mentioned on the Skulls thread and associates the fragments of crosses found in 1838 when the parish church was rebuilt with it which might explain the comments made regarding the skulls origins being from the monastery but sadly no reference to them in the talk.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

The current July issue of 2Who do you think you are/" magazine is giving away a free DVD-rom of 24 pdf scanned books on Yorkshire.it is a very good collection and includes the following directly relevant to Leeds:Biographia leodensis (Worthies of Leeds & neighbourhood) 1865History of St Peters Church Leeds 1896Kellys Directory of Leeds 1916Leeds in the Great War 1914-1918Whites Directory of West Yorkshire 1847Whites West Riding Directory 1837-1838 2 volumes.it also includes The Annals of Yorkshire as well as other stuff on Luddite trials

Castlederg

Re: George William Beet born 1853 Tickhill

Post by Castlederg »

Jen wrote:cnosni wrote: Jen wrote: cnosni wrote: Have had a good look in the census,nothing about George in the UK census after 1871.Can you tell us what you do (or not)know ,and perhaps we may well be able to help a little better. Thanks cnosni.I have him in census up until 1871 census. Father: George Beet Mother: Elizabeth Holmes.Can't find a Birth for him although found lots of siblings.On his marriage cert. in 1881 in Aus he says he was born 1853 - this fits with various census .Tickhill comes up a lot in certificates.I think this is why I'm so hooked on him as he is hard to track.Cheers,Jen George's birth was registered at Doncaster in 1853Quarter Jan- Mar 1853 Vol 9c page 385You can order the certificate online from G.R.O websitehttp://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/default.aspYou will need to register and give the above birth registration details to order the certificate. Thanks so much cnosni. I have done all you suggested and now waiting impatiently for the post - It could be a long week.Cheers,Jen
Hi Jen
I am also researching George Beet as he is a member of my tree. I have his birth and those of his siblings from a family bible extract in my possession. If you are still searching for info it would be great to converse on what we each have. Look forward to hearing from you. Regards Gwen Nadin

Castlederg

Re: George William Beet born 1853 Tickhill

Post by Castlederg »

Jen wrote:cnosni wrote: Jen wrote: cnosni wrote: Have had a good look in the census,nothing about George in the UK census after 1871.Can you tell us what you do (or not)know ,and perhaps we may well be able to help a little better. Thanks cnosni.I have him in census up until 1871 census. Father: George Beet Mother: Elizabeth Holmes.Can't find a Birth for him although found lots of siblings.On his marriage cert. in 1881 in Aus he says he was born 1853 - this fits with various census .Tickhill comes up a lot in certificates.I think this is why I'm so hooked on him as he is hard to track.Cheers,Jen George's birth was registered at Doncaster in 1853Quarter Jan- Mar 1853 Vol 9c page 385You can order the certificate online from G.R.O websitehttp://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/default.aspYou will need to register and give the above birth registration details to order the certificate. Thanks so much cnosni. I have done all you suggested and now waiting impatiently for the post - It could be a long week.Cheers,Jen
Hi Jen
I am also researching George Beet as he is a member of my tree. I have his birth and those of his siblings from a family bible extract in my possession. If you are still searching for info it would be great to converse on what we each have. Look forward to hearing from you. Regards Gwen Nadin