George William Bartle

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
iansmithofotley

Re: George William Bartle

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi Lyndsey,

I've done some research and found two marriages of interest to you. There is a marriage between Violet Gray and George William Bartle on 22nd June 1929, which you aware of. The other one of interest is between Kate M Woodhouse and George W Bartle registered in A/M/J 1919 at Norwich. There is a place called North Elmham just a few miles north west of Norwich. Maybe this is the relevant original marriage that you are looking for.

I have done a lot of other research but I am struggling to find out what happened to Violet Bartle (Gray) and George William Bartle after about 1930, the year after their 'marriage'. Also, I suspect that she had a son called George W Gray (B. 25/1/35) who was living with John William Gray and Alice Maud Gray (ne Longmire), her parents, in 1939 at 101 Pateley Terrace, Norton. If this is so, then it looks as though she reverted back to her maiden name (not a surprise under the circumstances). However, your grandmother kept the name of Rita M Bartle.

I will carry on researching this and will probably contact you by way of Private Message rather than posting on here.

Ian

iansmithofotley

Hi Lyndsey,

I did some research on your family history and I sent you two private messages on 10th September 2018, asking for further information. I have had no reply or acknowledgement to my messages.

I noticed from your profile that you have not been on Secret Leeds since 8th September, so it is apparent that you have not seen my messages.

Next time you come on the Secret Leeds website, please could you check your private messages and then let me know if you want me to go any further with my research.

To find your private messages, you will need to log on to the site, go to your 'User Control Panel' (a 'head and shoulders') in the top right corner of the page, click on the 'envelope' box and look for 'Inbox' on the left side.

Ian

Simon Bartle

Post by Simon Bartle »

Hi Lyndsey.
I maybe a link you are looking for.
My name is Simon Bartle. My dad was Henney Bartle who passed away in 2014. I didn't find out that his real name was Henney until he passed away and I found his birth certificate. He always went by the name Colin Henry Bartle. He would never speak about his dad, but his mum, my Grannie Vi, was Violet Grey. Violet grew up in Settrington near Malton/Norton. Later she moved to Norton where she had my dad on 14/01/1930. She then went to live in Bradford. I'm told my dads birth father came to the Malton area, on a motorbike, to be a farm labourer. I may have more info, not a great deal, if you're interested.
Last edited by Simon Bartle on Fri 11 Jan, 2019 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lyndseymarie

Post by Lyndseymarie »

Hi simon, I’m going to send you a personal message.
Ian, I’m going to email you.
So sorry I’ve only just seen these. I didn’t get a notification email from here and the last time I came on after posting no one had replied with any information (just that rocking horse likely wasn’t the same person).

Lyndseymarie

Post by Lyndseymarie »

Simon - I’ve sent you PM on here but it sat in an outbox and hasn’t sent. In case it doesn’t my Facebook Messenger url is:
m.me/lyndsey.williams2

Telephone number is: 07525176685

iansmithofotley

Hi Lyndsey,

Thank you for your email and your recent message on this page. I have replied to your email.

Ian

Jen9689

Post by Jen9689 »

Hello

I am looking for some family history and would appreciate any help or information.

My natural mother Thelma Anne Scoffin was a hotel receptionist and bookeeper at The Queens Hotel in Ledds around 1959-1960 ( maybe before 1959) and I am looking to find out who the hotel manager was at this time as he may know information I require .

Thanks in advance .

Jen9689

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

Help Jen.
Timewise I think you are pushing your luck.
My dad worked at the Queens around this time and he would be 103 if he was still alive.
It was a British Transport hotel as this time and management tended to be a bit older than they are these days.
The Queens was one of the better ones so it would be a senior man.
The only name I can think of that would fit was Mr Jack(surname not first name)
I remember the names of a couple of people from that era but I fear they will have passed on
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

Jen9689

Post by Jen9689 »

Hello , thanks for your time answering .
I realise that the manager might not be with us anymore but would like to know his name .

It’s a long personal story .. I was adopted as a baby from the name I mentioned in my first mail . I believe that the manager and my mother had an affair but his name wasn’t on my birth certificate.. I may have other siblings so would love to trace him . I have met and have a wonderful relationship with my half sister now . I was born at Fallodean mother and baby home in Leeds but now live in Scotland . Thanks again for replying

Best Jen

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

Hello again Jen,the Queens n those days had a quite tight knit staff and such a liason would have been difficult to keep private.
As I said time is not on your side,its nearly 5 years since my mother died and I am sure if there was any rumours she would have known.
However,somewhere I have a photo of a presentation around this time to my father and I seem to remember the manager making the presenttation.
The period would be about right and I think Mr Jack was manager for several years.
Give me a couple of days and I'll have a hunt around
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.