Grattan of Cardigan Arms

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
kerrplunk

Grattan of Cardigan Arms

Post by kerrplunk »

Hello from over the pond!
I'm trying to research my family. My great-great-grandfather, John Grattan (1828-1875) was born in Ripon, but by 1860 was listed a the publican at Cardigan Arms. The "Bell's Life in London" from April 1863 still lists him as working there. By 1871, he's listed on the census as a "cow keeper" at 21 Burley Rd. When he dies (his wife having died 2 years prior), he leaves 5 children, the oldest of whom is 14. I don't know who the children end up living with. But 10 years later, one of his sons, my great-grandfather, makes his way to the US.
I'm looking for any clarification on this information, or if the brewery kept records of who ran their pubs, or any photos from this time period.
Thank you!

Bruno

Re: Grattan of Cardigan Arms

Post by Bruno »

Sorry I can’t help you kerrplunk, but welcome to Secret Leeds and I hope you get some useful information on here; I’m sure you will.
The older I get, the better I was.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

This is from The Leeds Mercury June 8th 1866 entitled "Leeds Horticultural Exhibition, so he's still at the Cardigan Arms in 1866. EDIT looking at other articles he is still there in August 1867
Grattan 1866.png
Grattan 1866.png (171.04 KiB) Viewed 17206 times

tilly

Post by tilly »

Well done uncle mick you always come up with goods. :D
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

kerrplunk

Post by kerrplunk »

Thanks for the info guys! Being able to find dates of events like births, deaths and wedding is good. But finding information that can shed light on what their lives were like is awesome.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

I don't subscribe to this website but a few results for "John Grattan Cardigan Arms"

http://tinyurl.com/y9s3nxtb

kerrplunk

Post by kerrplunk »

Thanks Uncle Mick! I've also got a few hits on another newspaper site.

KeelyG

Post by KeelyG »

I'm a Grattan and my family had the butchers at 88 Burley Road not far from the Cardigan Arms

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Hi Keely, welcome to Secret Leeds and thanks to contributions on two threads helping in the search for ancestors/relatives. I will add my usual caveat though. While Dazza's post is recent and he last logged in less than 3 months ago Kerrplunk hasn't logged in since soon after his initial post almost 4 years ago. Of course, as you have probably discovered, login is only required to post and you don't need to to read posts/threads. I'll give both a nudge using the PM service which may notify them via email.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/