Crown Topper.

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
volvojack

Crown Topper.

Post by volvojack »

Crown Topper Hair Piece,
Does any one recall these hair pieces / wigs that came out about the late 60s.

My Pal,
Dennis was losing his hair from about him being 30 years old. He was a good looking lad and despite assurances that it was not that bad and we pointed out that his Father was bald and extremely handsome he could not stop worrying about it. Things came to crunch when one day while i was watching him play Football ( he was very good ) and someone on the touchline shouted "Come on, get stuck into that Old Bald Bugger" he came off furious muttering i am only 34, where is that loudmouth. The upshot was that it was not very long before he went to the Crown Topper place in Leeds and paid about £800 ( a small fortune in those days.) and at first he was quite happy. No longer was he like Bobby Charlton on the pitch but he could also play a very good game of Snooker under the bright lights,
Problems started for when he had worn it for some time it being some sort of man made fibre on a canvas base it needed to be Refurbished. This meant they then sold him a spare and this also being like a cap worn permanent soon got rid of what hair he had left apart from the sides which was where they wove the hairpiece into.
If the weather was hot Denis told me the the canvas base made his scalp sweat a lot.. so finally in the end he took it off, threw it away and never bothered again.
Luckily i have still got plenty of my original Barnet but i did feel sorry for my Mate, Nowadays it quite the normal to have a shaven head but back then it was unheard of.

Milena2013

Re: Crown Topper.

Post by Milena2013 »

You asked if anyone remembered Crown Topper. My father started the company in the mid 1960s and factory premises in Newton Road, Leeds 7 is where they were manufactured. The company very soon became Nationwide with offices throughout - about 12 branches. I worked in the Leeds factory in the early 1970s and would love to hear from anyone that worked at Crown Topper or knows anyone who did.

Milena2013

Post by Milena2013 »

You asked if anyone remembered Crown Topper. My father started the company in the mid 1960s and factory premises in Newton Road, Leeds 7 is where they were manufactured. The company very soon became Nationwide with offices throughout - about 12 branches. I worked in the Leeds factory in the early 1970s and would love to hear from anyone that worked at Crown Topper or knows anyone who did.

Yvonneh

Post by Yvonneh »

Hi. My Dad worked for Crown Topper in the 60. He does tell us many time about his great times working for Norman Bloom and Donald Dean

tilly

Post by tilly »

Welcome to S/L Yvonneh.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

tilly"]Welcome to S/L Yvonneh.
Well said tilly.
I bet you don't remember that the Crown Topper premises in Newton Road leeds 7. were broken into and a van load of Wigs were stolen, Police from the Harrogate Road Police Station were said to be "Combing" the area.