Leodis Grocer's Shop Photo Can You help

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
volvojack

Re: Leodis Grocer's Shop Photo Can You help

Post by volvojack »

Looking at the other signs displayed different from a Greengocer / Florist may be this Shop was originally a Tobacconists, General Grocers.,
Still think this photo is from the 30s / 1940s.

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

I passed on the details of this thread to Leodis and received this reply

Thank you for your help in trying to solve this puzzle; please pass on my thanks to members of the Secret Leeds website who have helped as well.

I am sorry to say I am not sure that the photo shows 377 Harehills Lane.  Although I wouldn’t rule it out entirely, I do not see any great similarity between the doorways and the flights of steps. Also, if you look at image 2002125_49152774 which shows Gilchrists in 2000, you will see that the door was on the other side at the time and there were no steps outside!

I doubt that there is any connection to the Woodcock’s grocers chain.  The photo was sent in with a number of family photographs, mostly just showing individuals or of too poor quality to go on the website, and there is no other mention of Woodcock’s grocers.  The family appear to be that of Benjamin and Harriet who are shown on image 2017512_176120 and I suspect A. Woodcock may be their son Arthur though I cannot be certain of this.  There is an Arthur Woodcock listed at 144 Hyde Park Road in a 1940 directory but it does not seem to fit in with the image of that address now on Google Maps.  Again, I’m not sure that the family mentioned in the comments is the same family but there may be a connection somewhere.

So I think all we can really say at the moment is that the photo was taken after 1924 as one of your members pointed out, and that it is probably in Leeds though not absolutely certain.  If you or any other members of Secret Leeds come up with any other ideas do let me know, or put a comment up on our website about it.

It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

DisrepairUK

Post by DisrepairUK »

blackprince wrote:
Mon 05 Jun, 2017 9:06 pm
tyke bhoy wrote:I am pretty certain its not 377 Harehills Lane.
The modern google view https://goo.gl/maps/1zeqBJQdujA2 has 377 as the left half of Gilchrists. While like the Leodis picture Image there appears to be a slight fall away to the left there isn't several steps to the door. Also the Leodis shop appears to be stone built whereas despite the white wash the adjacent (and attached) buildings today suggest brick and probably early 20th Century so not built over the Leodis shop

Stone built would probably fit with Rodley but I think the summation is correct its a photograph submitted in Leeds but not necessarily of Leeds.
Hang on a minute Tyke Bhoy, if you just change your view point a bit in the modern street view, so you can see behind the van, the left half of Gilchrists does have a flight of 4 steps up to the door exactly like the shop in the old photo. Also it looks like a brick wall in the old photo to me. I think 377 is a strong candidate for our unknown shop.
Slightly ironic that if it is the right shop I would have walked past it many times up to the age of 10.
These steps were added between 2012-2015 so unfortunately aren't original.

warringtonrhino

Post by warringtonrhino »

The lintel over the basement window looks original It is a different style to all the other lintels at the front and rear of the suggested building. It is a more expensive lintel because the ends are not square cut, it does not make sense to use the best lintels only on the basement.