Leodis Grocer's Shop Photo Can You help

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
blackprince

Leodis Grocer's Shop Photo Can You help

Post by blackprince »

SL members who have access to old Leeds trade directories and/or census information might be able to shed light on this one
http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... 512_176122
The comment already attached to the photo uses a 1940's trade directory but doesn't nail it!
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

volvojack

Re: Leodis Grocer's Shop Photo Can You help

Post by volvojack »

[quote="blackprince"]SL members who have access to old Leeds trade directories and/or census information might be able to shed light on this one
The comment already attached to the photo uses a 1940's trade directory but doesn't nail it!

Lovely old photo, Mayybe pre.War as the window seems to show quite some stock.

warringtonrhino

Post by warringtonrhino »

I don't understand the Leeds Trade Directory details??
102 Beeston Road was in a terrace of dwellings between South Ridge Street and the Malvern Picture House.
Number 94 next to the Picture house number 104 on the corner of South Ridge Street.
The building was set back 20-30 feet from the boundary wall , with a large garden at the front, they all had large bay windows.
They could have lived there but not traded from there, the photo is definitely not 102 Beeston Road.

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi everyone,

The address of 102 Beeston Road is incorrect on the Leodis photograph comments. The 1911 Census shows the family at 201 Beeston Road. It's probably a 'typo' or transcription error. Looking at 'Old Maps', 201 appears to be a terrace house, about twenty houses from Tempest Road going away from the city.

Ian
Last edited by iansmithofotley on Sun 04 Jun, 2017 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

blackprince wrote:SL members who have access to old Leeds trade directories and/or census information might be able to shed light on this one
Sorry that should say Kelly's 1914 Trade Directory.
The photo could have been taken the 40's,50's , or even 60's. I remember many shops like that from my childhood in the 50's and the owners who dressed just like that. Note the man is wearing a collar & tie. The woman's shoes and hairstyle look more 1950's to me.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

warringtonrhino

No 201 is very similar to 102
except 102 has long gone.
same logic applies, 201 could be their home but not their shop.
Attachments
201 Beeston Road.jpg
201 Beeston Road.jpg (155.52 KiB) Viewed 10416 times

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi everyone,

Going back to the comments on the Leodis photograph, I am not sure that the contributor has got the correct Woodcock family. Also, if he does have the correct family, George Redfearn Woodcock was born in 1868 (not 1843). He married Harriet in 1895 but she died in 1922. In 1927 he married Clarissa Ann Johnson who was the beneficiary named in the probate. George died on 31st August 1943. His last address was 11 The Drive, Roundhay. I could not find a death for Albert Ronald Woodcock (he may have died in the second world war abroad, or he may have emigrated). The 1901 Census shows the family living at 5 Southmount Street which was near to the junction of Beeston Road and Cemetery Road. There are photographs of Southmount Street on Leodis of No's 1 and 3 (terrace houses). Old maps show a space between No.3 and No.5 which looks to be detached. This is unusual as most of the houses in the area are terrace houses. Personally, I am not convinced that this is the correct Woodcock family.

Ian

Bruno

Post by Bruno »

The signs above the door are advertising Aspro at 6d for ten tablets. Aspro was launched in the U.K. (Initially in Yorks and Lancs) in 1924. So the photo cannot be any earlier than that. Not much help I know, but it's something.

Source of info:

http://www.sloughhistoryonline.org.uk/a ... 00-000.pdf
The older I get, the better I was.

warringtonrhino

The information given in the Leodis website is -
Description:
Undated. View shows the shop of A. Woodcock, fruiterer and florist, but we are unsure of the location. Members of the Woodcock family lived in Rothwell in the early part of the 20th century and some later moved to the Woodhouse and Burley areas.

Comment:
The 1914 Kelly’s Directory lists a George Redfern Woodcock [b.1843 Liversedge, Yorks.] d. 1943 Leeds]as a Grocer living at 102 Beeston Road and trading from the same address. On the 1911 census return, George describes himself as a Master Grocer. Also recorded on the census return is his wife, Harriet Eliza nee Lawrenson, and their five children. Their fourth child is named as Albert Ronald [b.1905 Leeds] When George dies in 1943, his estate is divided between his wife [possibly his second] wife and three of his children. There is no mention of Albert Woodcock as one of the recipients. His third child [and second son] Ralph George Woodcock is a recipient of his estate and is recorded on the National Probate Calendar as being a Grocer.

The details may be true but might not refer to the persons in the photograph.
Most of the 'Comment' seems to suggest that a Mr A Woodcock did NOT get possession of the Grocers?? shop.
Photographs are donated to the Leodis collection by individuals, companies and organizations in the Leeds area.
However it is possible that a Mr Woodcock who lived in Leeds , had a photograph in his album of his brother's Fruit shop in (for example) Halifax.
All that we know for certain is that a Mr A.Woodcock had a fruit shop sometime after 1924, likely to have been somewhere in the UK.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

[quote="warringtonrhino"]I don't understand the Leeds Trade Directory details??
102 Beeston Road was in a terrace of dwellings between South Ridge Street and the Malvern Picture House.
Number 94 next to the Picture house number 104 on the corner of South Ridge Street.
The building was set back 20-30 feet from the boundary wall , with a large garden at the front, they all had large bay windows.
They could have lived there but not traded from there, the photo is definitely not 102 Beeston Road

As yo mention that row of Properties were large and set back from Beeston Road (Hill), I am pretty certain that the House adjoining the Malvern Cinema was a Funeral Directors in the late 40s / 1950s. The Son was one of the Teachers, Supervisors who ran Langbarr Camp nerar Ilkley
Apart from the Greengrocers on the corner of Tempest Road there were no shops on Beeston Road until the other side of Cross Flatts Park, below the Malvern there were shops on both sides